What is the best way to plan trip and look for charging stations?

dosleir

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E
Country flag
Hi all,

A newbie here.. I just picked up my CR1 and I am loving it. It took me a while to set up fordpass and everything.
My question is What do you all use to plan trip and look for charging stations? Thru Fordpass, it only lists out the stations. Also, do I need to download different apps like ev-go and chargingpoint to use them? Fordpass seems to support payment for only EA. I would appreciate your advice!
Sponsored

BrimstoneNJ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Shadow Black SR RWD, 57 Ford Thunderbird ICE
Occupation
Retired Architect
Country flag
I use the plugshare app for planning, it seems to have the most complete and up to date information.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hi all,

A newbie here.. I just picked up my CR1 and I am loving it. It took me a while to set up fordpass and everything.
My question is What do you all use to plan trip and look for charging stations? Thru Fordpass, it only lists out the stations. Also, do I need to download different apps like ev-go and chargingpoint to use them? Fordpass seems to support payment for only EA. I would appreciate your advice!
There are many, many threads you can read and you should do so. A quick summary:

- You need to setup your Plug and Charge for your free charging hours, which are at EA stations. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-enable-plug-charge-in-7-steps.3094/

- If you're going to travel, you'll want to use multiple tools to plan your trip. Why? Because of flexibility, and the reality that each tool is flawed in some way. You can plan your trip via the Map function in FordPass, and it will let you send it to the car. You'll want to use the free version of A Better Route Planner, because it gives you more flexibility, and takes into account things that maybe FordPass doesn't. You can add in the weight of occupants, you can change to the current temperature and weather (heavy rain kills miles per kWh), etc. And, you'll want to use GoogleMaps because you want to make sure that the apps don't send you way out of your way for no reason. You also want to use PlugShare, setup for your car, because you need to read reviews of potential charging locations. For example, some EA locations like Huber Heights, Ohio and Gainesville, Florida are crap.

- You'll want to setup ChargePoint at least, depending on what networks are in your area. EA doesn't need to be setup YET, because you have free hours. HOWEVER, note that in some states EA charges by the kWh, and some states by the minute. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ea-rates.9342/ Why do you care with free charging hours? Because, if you want to maximize your usage of them, only use them in states that charge by the kWh, and use the EA app, with EA's Pass+ ($4 per month, can turn it on and off), in the per minute states - like your state of SC. Of course it may be easier to just use up the free hours.

And read (I said that already). Likely anything you can think of asking has already been asked and answered, many times.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I highly recommend preplanning with abetterrouteplanner.com to preplan a trip. Then use plugshare.com to see reviews for each of the chargers and find L2 charging at hotels if you are doing a multiday trip. The great thing about ABRP is that you can adjust so many variables for weather (temp/winds/rain) and also add/override the charging stops and charge levels that it picked. You can even add your own L2 charging stops for hotels or allday parking garages (it doesn't know about those). On the day of driving I put the next stop into waze since the ABRP app doesn't seem to do well with traffic or detours.

Deleted member 9461

Go into PlugShare, type in a really awsome location you want to visit, make sure its 200 miles away. plan your route, go down to elevation icon/button...replan. go into ABRP, plan your route, compare to 2...go drive, get comfy, make it a game to learn how to be gentle with the power vs MAX POWER LIMITED BY REACTOR POWER. There's a some great youtube vid that will walk you through plugshare and ABRP. but get out and drive so you get in tune with the cars personality!!!!!
Also congrats on your purchase, you chose not to take the easy way (tesla/Leaf) your brave hi-5?
Sponsored