What is the better charging habit for battery health?

How often do you charge?

• Total voters

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Cool, thanks. So when the dash says 80% charge or whatever %, it is rather % do available battery, right?
Correct. The dash displays how much battery that is available for you to use. Any upper or lower buffer isn't calculated in that percentage figure. If you want to see that other stuff then you need an appropriate scan tool that will show the back end values.
Sponsored

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Changed mine to 90% this week, itā€™s nice seeing a 304 mile ā€œrangeā€.

CharleyCarlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE In Production
Country flag
I donā€™t use much daily range, so I am planning to mostly rely on Level 1. How ever I saw a study that showed level 1 charging may have degraded battery slightly faster than level 2.

Anyone aware of level 1 being better or worse than level 2? (Iā€™m aware that level 3 is worst for battery health over time)

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Installed L2 charger this weekend and am happy with quicker charge time. Using supplied charger and 240V adapter. Charging every night to 80% and I should be able to change off-peak hours from 9pm to 8am. Gonna scale it back from midnight to 8am to start.

One quick question is that the wife's app has a "charge to 100%" option for on demand bump up when planning a longer trip (will be seldom). Just wondering if the off-peak schedule is respected or overridden by the act of the "charge to 100%" option. I'd hate to set the regular schedule from say mignight to 3am and have things shut down before it gets to 100%.

Would also like to see an option that will allow charging to be initiated at a given percentage. So, if battery is less than 40% then charge to %80, if not then don't charge that night. There are many short trips that only take up a small amount of range for us. Just do not want to get in the habit of plugging in one day and not others...prefer to plug in as habit every night whether it will be charging or not.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
That is what Ford recommends as the best state of charge to store the car.
I believe that is for long term storage, such when one may go on long trip and leave without the car. That is a different case from daily/weekly utilization.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
To keep the 12 volt battery charger and stop the vehicle from entering deep sleep.
Are we 100% sure this is still true with the software updates? I was under the impression that the 12v will be kept good by the HVB regardless since the patch. Not true?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I believe that is for long term storage, such when one may go on long trip and leave without the car. That is a different case from daily/weekly utilization.
I know, but if we want to get absolute about what is best for the battery, then keeping it at 50% and just storing the car is best for it. Of course then, what is the point!

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
I know, but if we want to get absolute about what is best for the battery, then keeping it at 50% and just storing the car is best for it. Of course then, what is the point!
Hence, why the documentation differentiates 50% for storing, which is different from parking and charging between regular drives, e.g. 80% limit for DCFC, 90% for others, and 100% when expecting to use immediately. 90 or 95% or something in between may have a negligible impact when reviewing info or discussing with those who have long term experience with BEVs.

If your daily use can get by on keeping it at 50% then that works for you. But even with my inconsistent but somewhat predicatble use that wouldn't necessarily work for me nor do IMO think that strategy would be superior over 8-10 years than the others. I want to spend more time driving the car places than I do worrying about whether or not the 50% limit will get me where I want to go or have some flexibility.
Sponsored