What is the effect of highway speed on MPKw?

PhoenixGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E California Route 1
Occupation
business owner
Country flag
In my ICE (honda pilot), it provides a "live" MPG so I was able to determine this each speed on a highway (ie, 70 mph got ~27 MPG, 80 mph got ~25 MPG).

Is there any where on the Mach-E this is provided?

Given this forum has EVERYTHING, seems like someone would have built a table for this at some point and posted.

TIA.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Nothing on the car provides an instant readout, no.

Any table would have to take in altitude, weather (headwind, tailwind, crosswind, rain), whether you're going up or down, etc.

We've driven almost 9,000 miles, with the majority highway. We barely get 3.0 doing 73 on the highway, in winter that dropped to 2.3 - 2.7. Slow down to 65 and watch it climb.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I can post an estimated table/curve later but remember consumption goes up by velocity squared due to the drag equation. So going 80 vs. 70 will use about 25-30% more energy even though it’s only 14% faster. Driving faster than about 75 mph wastes a lot of energy since the drag goes up exponentially.

The most efficient speed is around 35 mph. Below that your standby losses (lights, radio, computers) beat out propulsion energy use.

OP
OP

PhoenixGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E California Route 1
Occupation
business owner
Country flag
i get all the factors make a difference, so this just a simple "like for like" would be fine for me; ie, looking for "relative" vs. "absolute".

Ie, i drive from phoenix to socal every few weeks, just wondering what would be the trade-off of extra speed vs. time lost charging. I know increasing from 75 to 80 will mean ~30 less minutes (6 hours), so what will the extra KWh I will lose because of this (how much more time at the charging station)?

If no one is aware of this data, I will go ahead and do it on one of my next trips (a great thing about Blue Cruise, I can do this data gathering and not worry about my driving :)
Sponsored