What is the factory tint on the back windows?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
What is the factory tint on the back windows? I've looked and there have been a few differing opinions.

Anyone know for sure?
Sponsored

Goober96

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E4X, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 2008 Corvette
Country flag
I just had my front windows tinted to match and they did 27% so I’m assuming that’s close.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The “factory tint on the back windows” is most definitely when they put a film on them to make it darker. Hope that clears it up.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well
it would be a good idea to ask, eh? I mean it could be too blue or too green, etc

OP
OP
Carsinmyblood

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I just had my front windows tinted to match and they did 27% so I’m assuming that’s close.
Thanks. NC allows 35%. I have no problem staying clear of that so 27% sounds good.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Thanks. NC allows 35%. I have no problem staying clear of that so 27% sounds good.
27 is darker than 35. The % tint number is how much light gets through. Clear windows are 100, limo tint is 5. If the law in NC says 35, then 27 would be illegal. Not saying don't do it, my windows are darker than legal, (Wisconsin only allows 50 on the fronts which is basically pointless) just want to make sure you are aware before you do it.

OP
OP
Carsinmyblood

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
27 is darker than 35. The % tint number is how much light gets through. Clear windows are 100, limo tint is 5. If the law in NC says 35, then 27 would be illegal. Not saying don't do it, my windows are darker than legal, (Wisconsin only allows 50 on the fronts which is basically pointless) just want to make sure you are aware before you do it.
Oooops. Thanks.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Oooops. Thanks.
I’ve run illegal tiny values on most of my vehicles. Most times if you’re not acting like an ass on the road, no one will do anything. Also, depending on the state, there is usually a plus or minus certain amount of reading to account for variables in light reflection so the difference between 35 and 27 might very well be overlooked. Worst case scenario, it’s a minor fix it ticket which in VA is $25

Reactions: ARK

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What is the factory tint on the back windows? I've looked and there have been a few differing opinions.

Anyone know for sure?
I always go with a slightly lighter tint on the front windows than the back windows on my cars. That said on the MME I went with 35% on the fronts and it is just a bit lighter than the rear windows. My tint guy said the rears look to be around 25% if that helps.

Deleted member 16048

I'm about to tint my fronts here in MN and we have the 50 limit as well. if 27% is what it really is at, we are going to do 35-40 to get close enough to the look, but barley illegal enough to not deal with getting stopped. lol

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I'm about to tint my fronts here in MN and we have the 50 limit as well. if 27% is what it really is at, we are going to do 35-40 to get close enough to the look, but barley illegal enough to not deal with getting stopped. lol
We did 35% on our Edge (I'm guessing Ford uses the same level tint on all it's rear windows) and you can tell it's lighter but it's still dark enough to make a difference. Since so many SUVs have dark tinted rear windows and completely clear front windows I don't think it looks at all out of place to have the fronts be a lighter tint. I don't know about MN but in WI they really only bother you about tint if they are looking for a reason to pull you over... like the only time I've had a problem was downtown Milwaukee on St. Patty's day when they were looking for drunk drivers.

Deleted member 16048

We did 35% on our Edge (I'm guessing Ford uses the same level tint on all it's rear windows) and you can tell it's lighter but it's still dark enough to make a difference. Since so many SUVs have dark tinted rear windows and completely clear front windows I don't think it looks at all out of place to have the fronts be a lighter tint. I don't know about MN but in WI they really only bother you about tint if they are looking for a reason to pull you over... like the only time I've had a problem was downtown Milwaukee on St. Patty's day when they were looking for drunk drivers.
Yeah, you can tell a little bit but it's perfect for what I was going for. You're right, they really only do it if they are looking hard for a reason to stop you. In the evenings it's hard for them to catch it anyways in areas of lower light. Here in the city I live in, the police department will stop you for anything in the evenings looking for drunk drivers. Even got stopped once since my girlfriend "almost" hit a curb on a very tight curve and she got pulled over for that. I was shocked that they even did it for that. (Pretty sure they needed more than that to stop though too, but that's a whole different topic.)
Sponsored