What is the likelihood being able to see and sit inside a Mach E before our own shows up?

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I bought one of the first 2010 Gen 3 Toyota Prius sight unseen. It arrived at the dealership and I had the right to back out if I didn't like it. Guess it's the same this time as I don't see any news of places to go meet the Mach E in the wild ahead of time.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Dealers will get test drive units before ours arrive.
Well, maybe. Still a lot of confusing, sometimes contradictory, and just plain missing info on when the demos will be manufactured and delivered.

If someone has an early reservation date and converts to an order before late August, the odds of a demo being available before their actual vehicle shows up appear to be in question. (US buyers)

But if they have a later reservation date, good chance their own vehicle wouldn't show up until 2021, and demos will hopefully be in place first.

Still a significant lack of clarity on the whole demo situation though.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yes that's true, Tim. My saleswoman couldn't provide any detail on the FCTP vehicles that the dealership will get, except that it will be 1-3 of them. She wasn't even sure if they'd be pre-production units or regular production. Her understanding on the dates was something like September or October, but said without much confidence.

Given that we have a lot of dealers in this area, I was hoping to check out the cars at multiple dealers. Mostly I wanted to see the different paint and interior colors. But at the same time, I just really want out of my current car and into something electric, and the waiting is getting harder as time goes by. So after verifying that my order deposit is refundable, I placed my order. The colors may not be the 'best' but they'll be fine as long as the rest of the car is great.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Dealers will get test drive units before ours arrive.
I really hope so but as an FE reservation holder I won't be surprised if my first test drive is in my own car.

The likelihood of having a test drive in advance of your delivery increases with reservation number as well as for non-FE/Premium models.

Of course, we have no idea if there will be GT demos.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I had to convert my reservation at the dealer because that is where I made the reservation......this is as new to the dealers as well as all of us, so there was some calling FORD but it got done in a day or two......I dealt with one of the managers, the salesman that took my reservation (their "EV guy"???) has not returned to work yet.......the manager's impression from talking to FORD was that demos sometime in the fall, probably late fall......delivery probably early 2021.......oh, my model is a Select.....I got a dealer order number, and as soon as FORD provides a VIN number we will finalize the deal.......I am in Bergen Cty, NJ, dealer All American Ford, Hackensack location......these guys have always been OK to deal with for me.......no talk about the deposit to FORD when I placed the reservation, but I think, because I placed it at the dealer it will be "transfered" to the dealer, I guess I'll see......also deposit is refundable but it did take some doing, haha.......

Rudi

First Name
Optimus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-max Energi
Country flag
Here in The Netherlands it will not be possible to drive a Mach e before our own car arrives. ALL cars arrive at the same time with the ship. If you would like to "test" first then you will have to order one after the test and wait for the next shipload. My dealer told me this would be the case here in Europe. Everyone has a choice in this. Have one of the first cars made. Or have patience.
Btw. My dealer gets 300 Mach e cars at the same time. He now has to plan where to bark them. AND....he has to charge 300 cars with 2 chargers :cool:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I don't need the vehicle until next year so am hopeful that dealers will have a demonstrator before then, less concerned about the drive as it is starting with good underpinnings and it does appear that ford will want to make it fun to drive which they have a history of doing when allowed to do so.

For me I want to see the final build interior quality, 60k is not pocket change and with that price point comes high expectations, the mach-e is to be used as my daily commuter and for doing local errands so it has to be a nice place to sit as it will spend 90% of its time crawling along in traffic, compared to the 10% carving through the twisties.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Btw. My dealer gets 300 Mach e cars at the same time. He now has to plan where to bark them. AND....he has to charge 300 cars with 2 chargers :cool:
I assume those are only level 2... or are they level 3, which wouldn't be so bad?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Considering it was almost a year ago and they have preprod units running around I had hoped they had made some units available for test drives by now for FE reserves (even if had to drive a couple of hours to do a test drive)... but it is looking increasingly likely it's not going to happen. Those with selects it shouldn't be an issue... and those with premiums can wait until the end of the year to convert so they can get a test drive first if they don't mind waiting until next year to get the car. If you have a FE on reserve, or want another model this year, I think the best you can hope for is that your dealer will agree to refund your deposit after you test drive your own vehicle if not happy with it (and that is a per dealer choice).

With a FE on reserve, right now it's looking like I'll have to let it auto cancel.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I assume those are only level 2... or are they level 3, which wouldn't be so bad?
I would assume L2 as well. Although 300 to a single dealer sounds like it's not a normal dealer like we think of in the US. Must be a different paradigm there were instead of a lot of small dealerships all over, it's probably a few big ones. So maybe they could install L3.

If not, could end up selling them with only a partial battery charge. Although depends on what Ford ships them with. There's not the weight or safety issue there is with shipping full tanks of gas. I wonder what (for instance) an 80% charge would be 60 days later?

OP
OP
NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
What do you see as the issues with the Model 3? For me, I don't like the idea of all controls being implemented through the touch screen. I test drove a Model 3 and found it difficult to tune the sound system while driving. Even the glove box is opened via the touch screen.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Considering it was almost a year ago and they have preprod units running around I had hoped they had made some units available for test drives by now for FE reserves (even if had to drive a couple of hours to do a test drive)... but it is looking increasingly likely it's not going to happen. Those with selects it shouldn't be an issue... and those with premiums can wait until the end of the year to convert so they can get a test drive first if they don't mind waiting until next year to get the car. If you have a FE on reserve, or want another model this year, I think the best you can hope for is that your dealer will agree to refund your deposit after you test drive your own vehicle if not happy with it (and that is a per dealer choice).

With a FE on reserve, right now it's looking like I'll have to let it auto cancel.
Based on what I have heard from my contact in Cuautitlan, they will be ready to start production in August. With customer unit Job#1 at the end of October, that could mean the 4000 unreservable numbers (customer reservation numbers started over 4000) are dealer demos. We may see those spread across the US before customer deliveries start. There is also word that some of the pre-production prototypes we've been seeing (there are around 300 of those) may become dealer demo units.
Sponsored