What is the Mach E's closest competitor?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think if Chevy killed the 2-door ICE Camaro and replaced it with a 4-door EV SUV, we'd see even more whining from diehard muscle cars fan than we did when Ford decided to come out with the MME.
That’s likely, but if people aren’t buying Camaros, they should feel emboldened to try something like this. I’d definitely prefer to see a Camaro EV SUV drive by then a Blazer EV.
Sponsored

Hersh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Pivoting slightly, but what would you all consider the closest ICE competitor to the Mach E?

Wanted to do a fuel cost savings exercise, and this would help big time. Thank you

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Pivoting slightly, but what would you all consider the closest ICE competitor to the Mach E?

Wanted to do a fuel cost savings exercise, and this would help big time. Thank you
Rav4 prime

minders

First Name
Mindee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD ER Space White, 21 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Housewife & Student
Country flag
I was in talks to buy a Volvo C40 that was on the way to the dealership right around the time the tax rules changed and nuked it from the list. I loved it, but couldn't justify $70k for something I'd only drive around town once in a while that I hadn't even been able to test drive yet. The XC40 was also on my radar before the tax nuke. I was heartbroken until I remembered the MME existed and found out that it would be less expensive for the specs I'd want. I had totally forgotten about it since they were super rare and hilariously enough had said I wanted one when they were first announced. I had always wanted a Mustang (loved the Fox Body as a teen), but don't like sitting low in vehicles so the MME is a true win on both parts for me!

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Model Y for me in terms of size, range and driving comfort and not that difference in price.

If you like software then Model Y has the best out there.

timunger0222

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium RWD
Occupation
RN
Country flag
What's not to like about the EQS except maybe the $110,000 USD price tag. Availability continues to be a problem in Oregon with nearly everything on backorder, no VW, no Audi, no Kia or Hyundai, and forget about the Genesis. My local Porsche dealership has one tycoon for $120K. BMW is taking orders for the i4 but has two $90K i5 available. And forget about color choices unless you like black, grey and occasional white.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Rav4 prime
The RAV4 Prime is not going to be useful for a fuel cost savings comparison. My wife has put gas in hers twice in the 15 months we've had it.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The RAV4 Prime is not going to be useful for a fuel cost savings comparison. My wife has put gas in hers twice in the 15 months we've had it.
How is that not useful? Seems like that is the most useful in determining if it's worth the price difference between a Mach E with a bigger battery and a PHEV with a modest electric range or not. The question is how much fuel will you be saving, and so you are saying only about 30 gallons a year compared to a RAV4 prime.

Of course if comparing to a PHEV you really need to track electric use too.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
How is that not useful? Seems like that is the most useful in determining if it's worth the price difference between a Mach E with a bigger battery and a PHEV with a modest electric range or not. The question is how much fuel will you be saving, and so you are saying only about 30 gallons a year compared to a RAV4 prime.

I don’t think that’s what he was thinking when asking about fuel savings when comparing the MME to an ICE competitor.

As for the price difference, my MME and RAV4 Prime cost about the same.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
That’s likely, but if people aren’t buying Camaros, they should feel emboldened to try something like this. I’d definitely prefer to see a Camaro EV SUV drive by then a Blazer EV.
The Blazer is pretty much a Camaro SUV. I would much rather see 2 door coupe Camaro and Mustang EVs.

Reactions: ARK

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Lexus NX 350hybrid or nx450h PHEV seem more on par price wise with MME, with the dealer markups of course.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This explains why PHEVs should be the focus of the automotive industry for most consumers.

Pretty much solves all the problems.

I still think a BEV makes a great….. 2nd car.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
This explains why PHEVs should be the focus of the automotive industry for most consumers.

An infrequently run ICE engine just seems like a recipe for lots of maintenance headaches to me. If I had one I would either want to make sure I never use the ICE engine (treat it like a very limited range EV), or make sure the ICE engine gets a good workout at least once a week (run for 20+ minutes to get up to operating temp). Either situation seems less than ideal to me. BEV all the way!

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
An infrequently run ICE engine just seems like a recipe for lots of maintenance headaches to me. If I had one I would either want to make sure I never use the ICE engine (treat it like a very limited range EV), or make sure the ICE engine gets a good workout at least once a week (run for 20+ minutes to get up to operating temp). Either situation seems less than ideal to me. BEV all the way!
I agree and trying to find an ICE comparison is almost apples and oranges. That puts us right back back to the EV vs. hybrid pros/cons - cause it's not just fuel, it's oil changes, timing belts, spark plugs, head gaskets etc.

There are a bunch of mid-size hybrids/PHEVs but they'll all have the same pitfalls as a full ICE.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

And yet BEV's are growing at a faster rate than plug in hybrids.

From Clean Technica, year over year in the first half of 2022:

• Full battery electrics: +75%
  • Plugin hybrids: +37%
  • Mild hybrids: -7%
  • Full hybrids: +14%
  • Pure fossil-powered vehicles: -16%
Sponsored