What is the point of trunk liners?

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
That trunk panel is completely removable. You can always take it out and clean it up. But even if you destroyed and trashed completely - I don't think it will be too expensive to just replace it?
Am I missing something?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It isn't waterproof and you would be surprised at the cost. Rubber Ford mat contains liquids.

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
It isn't waterproof and
Frunk is waterproof. If you have something that can leak you have an option to put it to frunk. Anyway I've never had a problem of something leaking in my trunk

you would be surprised at the cost.
What is the cost?
I think by the time you destroy it there will be plenty of options on the aftermarket.......

Rubber Ford mat contains liquids.
What do you mean by that

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You don't understand what "contains liquids" means?

Rubber mat has a raised lip. Pour a gallon of milk in it. https://www.varsityfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-console-mat-mj8z58047a74aa

No idea what the tray costs, but I suspect it will be a few hundred. Why would aftermarket make a replacement? Expecting people to break it? Unlikely.

People are unlikely to use frunk vs hatch. You can't pull in most garages and then access the frunk, unless your garage is deep. We can't. Hatch is much more convenient.

A trunk on a car is hidden. People may keep it messy. The hatch is much more visible. Most people don't trash it.

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
You don't understand what "contains liquids" means?

Rubber mat has a raised lip. Pour a gallon of milk in it. https://www.varsityfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-console-mat-mj8z58047a74aa
? technically "contains liquids" is a little ambiguous
1. has liquid inside
2. Doesn't let liquid spill outside

Anyway - how often do you spill a gallon of anything in your trunk?

No idea what the tray costs, but I suspect it will be a few hundred. Why would aftermarket make a replacement? Expecting people to break it? Unlikely.
But the mat is not very cheap either. And don't forget - you'll have to pay for that tray only in the case if you destroy it. But you don't have to destroy it........ And you always have an option to get a cargo mat when you are about to do something that might destroy your tray.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
? technically "contains liquids" is a little ambiguous
1. has liquid inside
2. Doesn't let liquid spill outside

Anyway - how often do you spill a gallon of anything in your trunk?

But the mat is not very cheap either. And don't forget - you'll have to pay for that tray only in the case if you destroy it. But you don't have to destroy it........ And you always have an option to get a cargo mat when you are about to do something that might destroy your tray.
I got it not because I plan on destroying the tray, just because it’s waaaaay easier to clean.

For me the culprits would be twofold:

Sand/saltwater- take kids to the beach. Beach toys, chairs, cooler etc all sandy/salty.

Home depot runs- bags of dirt, mulch, rocks etc.

The mat also keeps the SMELL of the above things out of the carpet.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess you live in a different world than we do. So, when you're headed to the store, do you evaluate whether things you buy are leaking? Or if you are buying something whether it might leave residue behind? Like that gallon of milk that looks like it's sweating, but really has a bunch of milk on the bottom, which smells real nice as it soaks in the floor panel?

Did you stop and buy a rubber mat on your way to Home Depot to get a bag of cement? Or fertilizer? Hope your dealer has the mat in stock... Mat was $109.75 plus tax. Great investment to protect my vehicle. I just sold my 2018 Fusion. Including the trunk, looked brand new inside.

I also paid $86 for a decal that is made to cover the lip outside the hatch, so when you pull out a heavy suitcase and don't lift it high enough, it doesn't scratch up the bumper.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I prefer to call it the rear cargo area instead of a trunk. For me, wet stuff back there is pretty common this time of year. It’s duck season. Wet dog doesn’t belong in the frunk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Home depot runs- bags of dirt, mulch, rocks etc.

The mat also keeps the SMELL of the above things out of the carpet.
..... if you need to fold your backseat?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Ever try to get dog hair out of those finely wound carpets? Liner helps there

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Bags of mulch often have a little very gross liquid in them. They are too big to fit in the frunk. I had one leak onto my rubber trunk liner, and it was simple to pull out the liner and hose it off. It would have sucked without the liner.
That is true...... But I wouldn't use mach e for this type of shopping at all. it is a little too small and not tough enough for this job. I have a "workhorse" car for that.

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Ever try to get dog hair out of those finely wound carpets? Liner helps there
Good point. If you have a dog - you definitely need it. And also you need a backseat cover

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
..... if you need to fold your backseat?
That's when you throw down a moving blanket , I leave one in the trunk all the time so I can put my road bike in. With the seat down, I don't even need to take the front wheel off.

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
That's when you throw down a moving blanket , I leave one in the trunk all the time so I can put my road bike in. With the seat down, I don't even need to take the front wheel off.
.... or tarp. But in this case liner is just on the way. You don't need a liner if you are using a moving blanket
Sponsored