efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
While I am eager to get my MME. I must admit that the standard colors are boring. The decent colors cost an additional $400-$600. These colors are described with additional adjectives loke tinted clearcoat and tri-coat. (Perhaps to justify the additional expense?)

I was wondering if these terms have real meaning and represent differences to the standard non-cost-plus colors or are they just marketing words designed to make the options more appealing.
Sponsored

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
While I am eager to get my MME. I must admit that the standard colors are boring. The decent colors cost an additional $400-$600. These colors are described with additional adjectives loke tinted clearcoat and tri-coat. (Perhaps to justify the additional expense?)

I was wondering if these terms have real meaning and represent differences to the standard non-cost-plus colors or are they just marketing words designed to make the options more appealing.
The tinted clear coat is as it sounds, instead of a fully clear coat on top of the paint, they tint it to add a smokey effect. The tri coat I am thinking that they just clear coat the car 3 times for added color wow-ness, which i think is the ultra white version of the MME.

tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
The tinted clear coat is as it sounds, instead of a fully clear coat on top of the paint, they tint it to add a smokey effect. The tri coat I am thinking that they just clear coat the car 3 times for added color wow-ness, which i think is the ultra white version of the MME.
Tinted clear coat tends to give the color more depth and another layer to reflect light - hence it looks a bit different in different light. Tri coat is a base coat (for example white in Star White), then an intermediate coat (often a metallic) and then a clear coat. Again more depth and depending on intermediate coat "sparkle". Comparing to white/clear it definitely "pops". Both are harder to touch up because you are trying to match two layers of color instead of one. Excellent descriptions online. If you like metallics and "candy" finishes the tinted and tricoat will likely look good to you.
Sponsored