What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
for people who have longer daily commutes, like over 40 miles, you probably do want a level 2 (240v/40amp) outlet at home UNLESS you can convince your workplace/school or wherever your car is parked during the day to install Solar carports in their parking lots and give away 'slow charging', or set up reasonable reserved space parking for EVs.

There are ways to add pay stations, but they are pretty expensive compared to just giving away the electricity as a 'perk' with available lvl 1 outlet since you can only extract about a dollar's work of electricity in an 8 hour workday. ;)
I have repurposed my languishing 120v outlet spotting skills that I used to employ in airport terminals now for use in parking garages ?
Sponsored

Bram12

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
We installed a ChargePoint which we purchased on Amazon. At the time there was a government rebate program that basically paid for the charger.

There was some extra cost though as our house only had 100amps coming in and local hydro estimated cost of increasing to 200amps at 10k, as they would have dig up from the street feed to the house. Instead of doing that we switched our stove to natural gas and freed up the amps needed for the electrician to install the charger and keep within code. So cost us the additional price of a new stove and gas installer, on top of the electrician. In the end, it was worth it. Love cooking with gas and have convenience of level 2 overnight charging. ChargePoint also has an easy to use app and the charger is WiFi connected.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? IMG_3470

George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Prius; 2011 Subaru Outback; 2021 Mustang Mach
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This video explains everything in a very easy to understand way and should help you decide what you might want for home charging. A 14-50 240v 50 amp outlet with the charger that comes with the car will work for many people.

This is one of the best tutorials of a reasonably complicated and new protocol for EVs. Very easy to follow; very complete and thorough and well delivered by the presenter. Great job !

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
If you think you'll be switching between 30A and 40A on regular basis, I'd recommend the ChargePoint over the Grizzl-E. You can change the amperage on the fly though the ChargePoint app, but you'd have to take the Grizzl-E apart and adjust dip switches to change it's amperage.
This is what I am struggling with now. I really like the Grizzl-E for several reasons, including cost but since I plan to use the thing at my house and my GF's house I like the convenience of being able to change the amperage easily so CP wins on that account.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I bought the Grizzl-E Smart Charger (40 amp) to go along with my AeroVironment, now Webasto, (32 amp) that I used for my Bolt.

Interestingly when I picked up the Mach-E at the dealership it was connected to a Webasco charger, not a Ford charger.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
Tesla Wall. Had it installed, and then Elon pulled radar (and passenger lumbar) from the MY. Not buying a vehicle with autopilot and no radar and being an alpha tester because they ran short on radar.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? IMG_2947

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I bought the Grizzl-E Smart Charger (40 amp) to go along with my AeroVironment, now Webasto, (32 amp) that I used for my Bolt.

Interestingly when I picked up the Mach-E at the dealership it was connected to a Webasco charger, not a Ford charger.
That ford charger for a while was in short supply and ford stop shipping them for a while so I am not shocked about it.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
One thing I ran into is I'm limited on how many amps I can run on my charger in the house. So might be worth checking with an electrician to see what the max charger you can fit is.

For most people this wouldn't be an issue. I just happen to live in a house built in the 70's and the decisions people made back then about how much electricty a house would need was, lets say, pretty short sighted.
Several smart chargers have the ability, either through software settings or physical dip switches, to set max current allowable.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
That ford charger for a while was in short supply and ford stop shipping them for a while so I am not shocked about it.
Ford has had "EV certification" for dealers since around 2012. It is possible the chargers at the dealer were installed prior to the current Ford connected charger being designed.

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
Chargepoint Home Flex.... We run a small inn near Port Angeles WA and there aren't a lot of public charging stations (definitely getting better though), so we added 3 Chargepoint Home Flex chargers (50amp) to our parking area for staff and guests to use to help increase charging port availability in our region. They've been amazing so far, have used them to charge Teslas, Leafs (Leaves?), Porsche, a Bolt or two... Worked flawlessly every time. They've been running for about 8 months now.

Also, as a small business, received almost all of the cost back in federal and state tax credits for alternative fuel infrastructure.

20201214_122231.jpg

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had an extra outlet put into my garage and I've been using the charger that came with the car and haven't felt like I'd ever need more than that.
I'm in the same situation as you and agree the provided charger is efficient and sufficient. I'm getting about 22mph on phrase II. I even tried phrase I and it gets about 3+ mph.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I bought the Wallbox Pulsar Plus its a smart charger 40 amp with 25ft cable. Very water proof if you use it outside small footprint and separate charger holder so can move the J1777 closer to your car. Its $599 on amazon and Wallbox website.
Sponsored