What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm going with the Emporia EV charger. Great price and does up to 48 Amps. Also works with their other energy monitors.
Emporia EV Charger
One issue I can see with this one: It is rated for outdoor use but the holder for the handle appears to leave the handle pointing up and exposed to the elements. Most outdoor units have an enclosed receptacle to hold the handle when not plugged in.
Sponsored

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
So are the only level 2 EVSE's with easily (i.e. don't require power to be shut off and taken apart) adjustable max current (and not counting cheap non UL amazon units) the Chargepoint Home Flex and the Ford Connected Station? Most of the time 24A would probably be enough (and prefered as the lower current should minimize noise and battery heat), but it would be nice to have the option to ocassionaly use higher power to charge to 100% before a road trip, or to give more flexibility to share one charger when we eventually have 2 evs (which apparently the chargepoint doesn't support well with its app).

The mobile charger would probably be fine for now on 240V, but I'm tempted to take advantage of the federal tax credit in case it doesn't get renewed.
Wallbox Pulsar Plus also has adjustable amps.

https://wallbox.com/en_us/wallbox-pulsar-plus

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Once I heard the Ford connect chargers were recalled, I bought the grizzl-E classic 40.
Very happy with it. A decent upgrade from the 32 amp Ford Mobile Charger.

1455794A-E024-4BCC-AA9A-D45233D53D93.jpeg
I have the Grizzl-e as well. I have a “non-smart “ one and it works great

Reactions: TRP

Franchise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Outlander GT PHEV, 2021 e-tron premium plus
Country flag
Have 100A sub panel in the garage split into 2 50A each with a juicebox 40. Overkill for my wife’s PHEV. did get some incentives, but don’t recall exact $.

In SoCal juicebox (now enel X) partners with Edison to give you juicepoints - every 4-5 months or so I collect enough for them to send $50 to me through PayPal.

had one juicebox go bad a few years back - their customer service was good.

most of the evse mentioned in this thread will do fine.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? The ford connected charge station, juice box, or something else?
I can't imagine needing more than the 32a from the included Mobile Charger via NEMA 14-50 outlet.... and lots of times I get by 'trickle charging' on 110vAC. I do not plan to buy any additional or higher capacity charger.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The charger ford gives you will work for most people. unless you're driving 200 plus miles each day it will charge full each day for you.

willowma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium ER AWD on order
Country flag
Ordered a Chargepoint Homeflex before they went on backorder and had a Qmerit installer hardwire it with a 60 amp breaker early June. It was all ready for my June 20 build date and hopefully end of July arrival. Since then with a June 26 "production date" it has gone from an August 17 to October 31 ETA. Seeing the green light on the Chargepoint every day is driving me crazy with no Mach-E to charge it with for months to come!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I replaced an old NEMA 10-50 with a NEMA 14-50 in the cellar and currently use a RV extension cord and the Ford Mobile Charge out the cellar window to charge. I can also use a 120 volt outside outlet.

The main problem I have is nearly all chargers I have seen have a 25 foot J-1772 cable. I need a 40 foot cable. I rather not use an J-1772 extension. One option would be to build a shelter near the car and run a 50 amp 240V cable out to it.

I have built electronics kits in the past, so one option is to build the Open EVSE kit and buy a 45 foot J-1772 cable for it. I wonder if there are any other options that do not involve extension cables.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I replaced an old NEMA 10-50 with a NEMA 14-50 in the cellar and currently use a RV extension cord and the Ford Mobile Charge out the cellar window to charge. I can also use a 120 volt outside outlet.

The main problem I have is nearly all chargers I have seen have a 25 foot J-1772 cable. I need a 40 foot cable. I rather not use an J-1772 extension. One option would be to build a shelter near the car and run a 50 amp 240V cable out to it.

I have built electronics kits in the past, so one option is to build the Open EVSE kit and buy a 45 foot J-1772 cable for it. I wonder if there are any other options that do not involve extension cables.
I reached out to Grizzl-E and asked if I could order their EVSE with custom length power and charge cables. Their power cable is 18" and charge end is either 18' or 24'. I wanted one with a 15' power cable so I could use an existing 50amp outlet and have the charge cable reach the car easier. Their answer was, NO, length is UL max at 18" and 24'

So I bit the bullet and moved the outlet, cost me $223 to DIY that between cable and conduit

tburns6

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE DMG
Occupation
Network Nerd
Country flag
I picked up a gen 3 Tesla Wall connector with a bad cable ($200) replaced the tesla cable with a 50A chargepoint j1772 cable ($75). Now i just need my new car.........

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 64642765949__226FF3DC-04E7-49AC-92E6-7621D7C2E152

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Thanks I actually came across it a couple days and it seems to check all my boxes.
Have had 2 Wallbox Pulsar Pluses in power sharing mode for a while now and I love them. Highly recommend!

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Have had 2 Wallbox Pulsar Pluses in power sharing mode for a while now and I love them. Highly recommend!
Out of curiosity how do you wire up multiple units for power sharing? Do you have two Nema 14-50R outlets, etc. wired off the same breaker? If so, is that really allowed by code (NEC)? I would think that would be frowned upon as typical 240V home appliances aren't designed to power share, even though functionally I know it would work and be safe (assuming the wiring is correct for the breaker) as the EVSEs would be managing the combined max current.

I assume we will eventually be a two EV household and I do the like the idea of just letting two EVSEs share the power automatically between two vehicles rather than my wife and I having to negotiate/remember which days of the week we get to/need to plug-in one shared EVSE.

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
I grabbed a Charge Point Home Flex + from Amazon. My power run is 125 feet so 6 gauge was in order. The CP gives me the option to choose my charging speed. I have a 40 amp breaker and set the unit to 20 amps which draws 16. That's good enough for me but if we do a lot of weekend driving, I can ramp it up to 40 or even 30.
Sponsored