What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
I am in the planning stages for the MME to arrive in December. I'm still deciding between chargers. I may try living with the Ford Mobile charger for awhile since will be charging overnight anyway. I'm not sure if the Ford app lets you setup time charging though.

I'm also interested in the WallBox or ChargePoint and they can both deliver 40 amps. I will have a 240 Volt 15-40 (I think it) outlet installed on a dedicated 50 amp circuit.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Here is my Grizzl-E extreme box that I had installed. This one is covered for 5 years and is supposed to be meant for environments that CA won't see, but it was free shipping and no tax from Canada and showed up in less than a week. People are having issue with the new "smart" version but you really don't need that. Mine was preset at 40A and I haven't had any issues.

Screenshot_20210617-081107_Photos.jpg

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The Grizzl-e Smart Avalanche preset at 40Amp is working great for me as a "dumb" charger at my vacation property in Wisconsin. I am hopeful that I will get the smart functionality working at some point, as I would like to monitor its usage with renters of our vacation house, but aside from that, it works great. I plan to pick up the regular 40A version for use at home soon.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 1623945007040

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am in the planning stages for the MME to arrive in December. I'm still deciding between chargers. I may try living with the Ford Mobile charger for awhile since will be charging overnight anyway. I'm not sure if the Ford app lets you setup time charging though.

I'm also interested in the WallBox or ChargePoint and they can both deliver 40 amps. I will have a 240 Volt 15-40 (I think it) outlet installed on a dedicated 50 amp circuit.
It's a 14-50R.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FYI the j1772 plugs into the cable coiler so you don't have to leave it hanging

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We have two homes 235 miles apart. I mounted the portable Mach-E charge unit to the wall of our "primary" home, and purchased a Grizzl-e Classic (40A max) for the mountain home where I am more likely to sometimes want to turn around and head back to the primary home sooner. I installed dedicated 14-50 outlets in both garages, so the two EVSE's are interchangeable location-wise. I don't see the need to carry one in the car, but if needed, I can pull the portable unit off of the wall bracket and throw it in the car. Both are working just fine.

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had a 50A circuit run to the garage and a 14-50 plug installed inside the wall next to the garage door. Then just mounted the mobile charger with the 14-50 plug attached, Added a holder and hook outside so that I can just run under the garage door (my garage is also my workshop for projects and usually a mess). Works great for me. Don't think that I'll upgrade to 40A EVSE unless i get a 2nd EV or one with a much bigger battery.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Here is my Grizzl-E extreme box that I had installed. This one is covered for 5 years and is supposed to be meant for environments that CA won't see, but it was free shipping and no tax from Canada and showed up in less than a week. People are having issue with the new "smart" version but you really don't need that. Mine was preset at 40A and I haven't had any issues.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 1623945007040
What charger? I can't see anything, just a bare wall?? Is it invisible?

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

The ford app will control all charging and you can set times for it to start/end. There are also preferred times and departure times so that if you plug in and it determines that you won't be fully charge (mines set at 90%) by the time you said you want to leave then it'll start charging early. I don't think there is any need for a "smart" EVSE. Its just a fancy switch.

Also, I'm on the Ford Mobile charger and 30A is plenty for normal driving. If you plant to drain an extended range battery every night, pull in at 11P and want to leave with 100% charge at 6A, then maybe you need more, but that is not my situation nor most everyone else.

IMHO, save the $500-$600 bucks and just use the Ford Mobile charger. If it becomes a problem, then you can always upgrade later.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
FYI the j1772 plugs into the cable coiler so you don't have to leave it hanging
Yeah but it is a sloppy fit and the J1772 plug has a weather protector cap, which complicates things. The cable will also protrude from the wall when it's in the holder. It just works better for others in different ways.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e Black
Country flag
I have the Ford Connected Changer and I really like the fact that I can adjust the amps in the app. Living here in Florida my garage gets really hot and charging using 48 Amp is really loud. So most of the time I don't need the full 48 Amp and I can just adjust it down to 30 amp in the app and when I need the 48 Amp it is really east to use it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't think there is any need for a "smart" EVSE. Its just a fancy switch.
I thought that too when I bought my Grizzl-e classic, but now I am rethinking that position. It would be really nice to be able to track how much current my car is actually drawing, and how much overhead there is. My Grizzl-e is set at 32A which should be 7.7 kw, but what I am seeing the car get based on charge percentage is around 6.6kw - which seems like a big overhead (15%). I am also curious to know how much the car draws while plugged in and not charging (ie conditioning and preconditioning).

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford has had "EV certification" for dealers since around 2012. It is possible the chargers at the dealer were installed prior to the current Ford connected charger being designed.
When the Energi was released the dealerships had to have two (2) chargers as a minimum. One in the service area and one accessible outside. Since the Ford Charger only came out with the MME there are a lot of dealers who have chargers that pre-date the MME. My dealership has a Webasto branded charger outside. IIRC the Ford charger is just a re-branded Webasto charger.

Last edited:

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
The ford app will control all charging and you can set times for it to start/end. There are also preferred times and departure times so that if you plug in and it determines that you won't be fully charge (mines set at 90%) by the time you said you want to leave then it'll start charging early. I don't think there is any need for a "smart" EVSE. Its just a fancy switch.

Also, I'm on the Ford Mobile charger and 30A is plenty for normal driving. If you plant to drain an extended range battery every night, pull in at 11P and want to leave with 100% charge at 6A, then maybe you need more, but that is not my situation nor most everyone else.

IMHO, save the $500-$600 bucks and just use the Ford Mobile charger. If it becomes a problem, then you can always upgrade later.
I was thinking of that as we should not be in a rush to charge while at home. It just seems like everyone else has a fancy unit so we were going to join the club :).
Sponsored