What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Out of curiosity how do you wire up multiple units for power sharing? Do you have two Nema 14-50R outlets, etc. wired off the same breaker? If so, is that really allowed by code (NEC)? I would think that would be frowned upon as typical 240V home appliances aren't designed to power share, even though functionally I know it would work and be safe (assuming the wiring is correct for the breaker) as the EVSEs would be managing the combined max current.

I assume we will eventually be a two EV household and I do the like the idea of just letting two EVSEs share the power automatically between two vehicles rather than my wife and I having to negotiate/remember which days of the week we get to/need to plug-in one shared EVSE.
Yes, the 2020 NEC allows for load sharing chargers. They call it an "automatic load management system".

625.42 Rating
The power transfer equipment shall have sufficient rating to supply the load served. Electric vehicle charging loads shall be considered to be continuous loads for the purposes of this article. Service and feeder shall be sized in accordance with the product ratings. Where an automatic load management system is used, the maximum equipment load on a service and feeder shall be the maximum load permitted by the automatic load management system.

It doesn't seem obvious how the code treats the actual wiring of those - some inspectors might object to having two 14-50 receptacles on a single 50A breaker, but if they are used for EV chargers with a load management system then it appears to be legal. The problem is that if someone wanted to use them for two welders or two dryers then they would run afoul of the general requirements for receptacles - it would probably come down to the inspector's interpretation.

The case seems more clear for the hardwired case - it is OK.
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Yes, the 2020 NEC allows for load sharing chargers. They call it an "automatic load management system".

625.42 Rating
The power transfer equipment shall have sufficient rating to supply the load served. Electric vehicle charging loads shall be considered to be continuous loads for the purposes of this article. Service and feeder shall be sized in accordance with the product ratings. Where an automatic load management system is used, the maximum equipment load on a service and feeder shall be the maximum load permitted by the automatic load management system.

It doesn't seem obvious how the code treats the actual wiring of those - some inspectors might object to having two 14-50 receptacles on a single 50A breaker, but if they are used for EV chargers with a load management system then it appears to be legal. The problem is that if someone wanted to use them for two welders or two dryers then they would run afoul of the general requirements for receptacles - it would probably come down to the inspector's interpretation.

The case seems more clear for the hardwired case - it is OK.
Or get something like this from Grizzl-E. If/when we have 2 EVs something like this will be on my radar

https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-duo/

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Or get something like this from Grizzl-E. If/when we have 2 EVs something like this will be on my radar

Agreed, if you know you are going to be dual EV and you can just buy that out of the gate then I think that makes the most sense. One plug/hardwiring and you are done. Having separate units do power sharing might be nice for people who would like the option to add another EVSE later, but aren't sure they are going to do it yet.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Out of curiosity how do you wire up multiple units for power sharing? Do you have two Nema 14-50R outlets, etc. wired off the same breaker? If so, is that really allowed by code (NEC)? I would think that would be frowned upon as typical 240V home appliances aren't designed to power share, even though functionally I know it would work and be safe (assuming the wiring is correct for the breaker) as the EVSEs would be managing the combined max current.

I assume we will eventually be a two EV household and I do the like the idea of just letting two EVSEs share the power automatically between two vehicles rather than my wife and I having to negotiate/remember which days of the week we get to/need to plug-in one shared EVSE.
You hardwire both chargers to the same circuit, using a multi-tap connector to split the circuit.

You can see my installation here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/wallbox-pulsar-plus.3071/#post-106669

I wouldn't do this with two 14-50 receptacles personally. Not sure how it'd be handled against code.

Kevin C

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e Infinite Blue ER AWD
Country flag
My electrician installed my NEMA 14-50 outlet and my Wallbox charger today. Now if I can actually get my car to be built.....

Wallbox Charger.jpg

Reactions: n0n

e-pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Extended Star White
Country flag

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Mustart unlike jiucebox is a dumb charger: no app. Does the Mach e have software enabling setting charging to start at a specific time of day?
Yes, the car can manage a charge schedule all on its own. No need for a smart charger at all.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex.
Check with your utility to see if they offer discounts/rebates on certain chargers.
I have the ChargePoint Home Flex waiting in a box for my electrician. My electric company has a $500 rebate on it. With the 30% tax credit for installation, etc I’m hoping my final cost is pretty low.

Petey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 GT-Line, 2022 Premium AWD ER (I hope!)
Country flag
Chargepoint for me - 50 amp breaker with 14-50 plug.

Like some of the others - still waiting on the car ?.

No additional local rebates for us and I tried to pick an install location that will serve the home well for many years to come.

Ned

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
waiting for ford
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Grizzl-e not the Wi-Fi one. Works great and is made in North America
I got the Ford Charger. The 60 amp circuit breaker and wire cost about $900. I wanted to keep Ford involved.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
The charger ford gives you will work for most people. unless you're driving 200 plus miles each day it will charge full each day for you.
We’ve done fine with the Level 1 charger for our PHEV for 3 years now. Of course, the back up is built into a hybrid. Upgrading to Level 2 charger in anticipation of my MME. I’m pretty sure the wall charger isn’t strictly necessary as MME will be a second car but it does assuage DH’s range anxiety.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I got the Ford Charger. The 60 amp circuit breaker and wire cost about $900. I wanted to keep Ford involved.
Years ago I purchased a Ford branded EVSE which is made by Webasto which is still the case today. Back then the Webasto model was called Aerovironment-RS and they came as 30A or 32A versions. I have the 32A version and it has been extremely dependable and and gets the most use due to it's convenient location and the extra cord length.

I also have a ChargePoint Home Flex on a 60A circuit hard wired in but I lied to the unit and told it that it was powered by a 40A circuit so it would only function at 32A max. I rarely use the CPHF because it's not as convenient being inside the garage and the cable is a little harder to manage. When attempting to use the CPHF, I cable usually brushes up against the sensor on my garage door and knocking it off.....I'll have to figure out a way to protect it a little better.

The only time I need two EVSEs is during the summertime when I want both vehicles to have shore power to keep the battery cool. The rest of the year having one plug works just fine. I took delivery of my MME in late Feb and have about 22k miles on it so far. My wife took delivery of her Jeep 4xe in early May and has 4500 miles on it (mostly all camping miles). So sharing a single plug is reasonable. Sharing a single circuit would work just as well I think.

If I had to do it all over again, I would prefer two plugs on a single circuit but I don't think that technology existed back when we got our first EV. Maybe it did and I didn't know about it......or really understand my needs. Now that I have a bit more experience with different charging options I just think that a single circuit at home with dual EVSEs on the same circuit makes the most sense. As far as I know, Wallbox and Juicebox are the two brands that allow circuit sharing for residential use. Are there any others that I am not aware of?

No MME in this photo because the wife was driving it around.....:cool:

? You can see in this photo that the CPHF barely reaches the Jeep when it's backed in yet the Ford branded charger reaches easily to almost any of the 6 potential parking spaces I have at home. That exterior location has been ideal for my situation.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 1636476027670

Last edited:

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Years ago I purchased a Ford branded EVSE which is made by Webasto which is still the case today. Back then the Webasto model was called Aerovironment-RS and they came as 30A or 32A versions. I have the 32A version and it has been extremely dependable and and gets the most use due to it's convenient location and the extra cord length.

I also have a ChargePoint Home Flex on a 60A circuit hard wired in but I lied to the unit and told it that it was powered by a 40A circuit so it would only function at 32A max. I rarely use the CPHF because it's not as convenient being inside the garage and the cable is a little harder to manage. When attempting to use the CPHF, I cable usually brushes up against the sensor on my garage door and knocking it off.....I'll have to figure out a way to protect it a little better.

The only time I need two EVSEs is during the summertime when I want both vehicles to have shore power to keep the battery cool. The rest of the year having one plug works just fine. I took delivery of my MME in late Feb and have about 22k miles on it so far. My wife took delivery of her Jeep 4xe in early May and has 4500 miles on it (mostly all camping miles). So sharing a single plug is reasonable. Sharing a single circuit would work just as well I think.

If I had to do it all over again, I would prefer two plugs on a single circuit but I don't think that technology existed back when we got our first EV. Maybe it did and I didn't know about it......or really understand my needs. Now that I have a bit more experience with different charging options I just think that a single circuit at home with dual EVSEs on the same circuit makes the most sense. As far as I know, Wallbox and Juicebox are the two brands that allow circuit sharing for residential use. Are there any others that I am not aware of?

No MME in this photo because the wife was driving it around.....:cool:

? You can see in this photo that the CPHF barely reaches the Jeep when it's backed in yet the Ford branded charger reaches easily to almost any of the 6 potential parking spaces I have at home. That exterior location has been ideal for my situation.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 1636476027670
I like the Chev in the garage. What year, 56? Just curious. ?

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
Grizzl-E has the duo
Sponsored