What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
As I documented in another thread, I recently installed a NEMA 14-50 outdoor outlet on an outside wall so I could close my cellar window. I still use the Ford Mobile Charger with the NEMA 14-50 extension cord. I noticed the extension cord cable getting stiff in the colder weather, while the Mobile Charger cord is still very flexible.

I have watched the J-Plug and openEVSE websites for months with everything always out of stock. I checked the J-Plug website and still no J1772 cables. I got a surprise on the openEVSE website as they now list a 40 foot J1772 cable in stock! The main EVSE kit is still out of stock with a two week lead time, but I bought all the parts I needed.

So hopefully I will get the parts and the EVSE installed before the winter really sets in.
Sponsored

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For 2.5 years I've been using a 32 amp portable EVSE plugged into a 240V outlet for my Honda Clarity PHEV. Works fine, no issues. I did a lot of research on EVSE options and a month ago I installed the ChargePoint Home Flex in anticipation of my recently ordered MME. I got a $400 credit from my Electric Coop and access to much reduced off-peak rates.

Jlt50

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Category manager
Country flag
Has anyone bought the new Electrify America home charger ? Looking at it and haven’t seen to many reviews.

Last edited:

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Has anyone bought the new Elecrify America home charger ? Looking at it and haven’t seen to many reviews.
Can't speak on that charger - I haven't seen any mentioning of it elsewhere on the forum. For the price, it seems comparable to other noteworthy chargers.

I'd still recommend the ChargePoint Home Flex, because should you ever want to get the full 48/50A rating (48A max on MME), it gives you the option (hardwiring is required).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
ChargePoint still seems to have the best hardware / software combination. Flexible cable for cold weather, easy to export stats data (if you are into it).

I got an older juicebox 40A and I could find some major IoT vulnerabilities, where someone with access to the Wi-Fi can reset the charger or even damage the files without need for authentication. Juicebox did not seem to care and did not offer any patching for the device. Also the cable is a bit stiffer in cold weather.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Just had my ChargePoint Home Flex installed in my garage. The electrician said it was very straightforward and a pretty easy job for him as we have a sub panel in the garage and I let him run conduit down the wall to the plug.

Using it with my PHEV until my MME gets in. Looks like 3.5 cents per mile energy cost for the little driving I’ve done so far. I think I’m going to like it.

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
The Jukebox 40 has many very bad reviews on Amazon, complaining of early failure, receiving returned units instead of new ones, etc. I know better than to take Amazon reviews at face value, but there does seem to be a large volume of complaints.

One reason I like the Jukebox is that it's available now, not backordered like the Chargepoint. My hurry is that I want to be sure I don't miss the year-end cutoff for the 30% rebate program.

Jukebox owners, what's your experience?

Windsurf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e premium, 2021Volvo XC-90 Recharge
Occupation
Electrical Embittered
Country flag
My 2 cents:
MME has on board 10.5kw charger.
Any charger that uses a plug like the NEMA 14-50 is limited to 40 amps.
So 40 amps x 240 volts = 9.6kw.
A hardwired gets you to 50 amps and 12kw.
Probably ly not a big difference, but if the chargers are equal price, why not?

I like the Charge point home flex. It comes with a plug for 40amp usage, but can be hardwired for 50amp. Also, It can handle anything from 16-50 amps for flexibility.

Note the 40amp will require 40-50 amp breaker. Hardwired 50amp will require a 60-80 amp breaker. So that might also affect the decision.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I got the openEVSE kit yesterday and built it last night. Not difficult because I have kit building experience. I set it up today and had a slight problem with the WIFI configuration. I do not have it permanently fastened to the outside wall yet. The 40 foot J1772 cable reaches the car with additional length to spare. So far the first charge is going great. 25 percent more power than the mobile charger and I do not have to drag it out of the frunk.

I like the web interface, simple but good information.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 1638672235960

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
Something else...a United Chargers Canadian-built Alpha Charger for $599. These chargers have a thicker cable that doesn't stiffen in the cold. Works great on my GTPE. Due to its lcd panel display, I never have to use an app on my phone.
I have an alpha charger and attempted to use it while using Fordpass. Many failures so far. United Chargers is sending me a replacement. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
I have an alpha charger and attempted to use it while using Fordpass. Many failures so far. United Chargers is sending me a replacement. Any thoughts or recommendations?
I do not have wiFi capability yet!

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I don't use Ford Pass with the Alpha charger, other than to get reports on charge status (which works just fine). I set up the Alpha with the Alpha's lcd display.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I do not have wiFi capability yet!
My wifi works fine with my Alpha. I have a wifi booster set up in my system?
Sponsored