What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

Macsurveyr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Jukebox 40 has many very bad reviews on Amazon, complaining of early failure, receiving returned units instead of new ones, etc. I know better than to take Amazon reviews at face value, but there does seem to be a large volume of complaints.

One reason I like the Jukebox is that it's available now, not backordered like the Chargepoint. My hurry is that I want to be sure I don't miss the year-end cutoff for the 30% rebate program.

Jukebox owners, what's your experience?
I think you mean JuiceBox. We had a JuiceBox 40 installed almost 2 years ago when we had solar installed. Then, well, covid and other things. We ordered our Mach E last February and took delivery in July.

Got home and plugged in and nothing worked. The MME had a charge fault every time I tried.

We charged the MME at a couple of different, free Level 2 chargers near us and everything worked fine.

I called Enel X and we went through some trouble shooting on the JuiceBox - resetting from the circuit breaker, pounding on the side with the power off - yes that was recommended. Nothing worked. The support person was EXTREMELY helpful and decided that the unit needed to be replaced.

I sent them the receipt for proof of purchase and the replacement was initiated. I received the new version of the JuiceBox 40 and installed it and it worked perfectly. I sent the old one back and there was no charge and I now had a brand new charger.

I have a long run from the electrical box to the garage and it is only on a 40 amp circuit breaker. Within the EV JuiceNet app it is easy to change the maximum amp rate for the charger so I set it to 32 amps. The charging speed at 32 amps is plenty fast for our needs as it will charge from 20% to 90% in ~8 hours. We rarely get that low before charging.

So, I was VERY PLEASED with customer support. Yes, it was disappointing to not have the initial unit work but the replacement unit has worked flawlessly. I would recommend the JuiceBox 40.

Probably more info than you wanted but hope it helps.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, JuiceBox, not JukeBox. ;)

I also can't say enough about JuiceBox Support. I documented on here my ordeal - electrician, also a dealer, put in the charger and left. I went to run the cord where I wanted it, and it was too short. Measured it, and it came up 7.5 feet short.

I contacted JuiceBox, and they didn't have a great response. I asked it to be elevated, and then their response got much better. In short, they made a bunch of chargers wrong, and ended up sending me a replacement AND paying for the electrician to come back and install it.

I chose the 48, which is hard wired, because I can get a lot more miles per hour out of it if I need to. I have it dialed down to 32amps, but can change it to 48 or anything in between (or lower) in about 10 seconds on the app.

You can buy directly from JuiceBox, and not go through Amazon. Same price either way.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I mounted my openEVSE and cable holder this morning. I installed the cable holder under a second floor deck to somewhat keep it out of the weather. Suprisingly, the cable management for the 40 foot cable seems to work. It is nice to be able to just take the cable and plug in without taking the mobile charger out of the frunk. I used an NEMA 14-50 extension cord and while it was easy to plug in, removing the plug could be slightly difficult. I may install one or two awnings to further protect the equipment.

openEVSE.jpg

openEVSEcable.jpg

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
My wifi works fine with my Alpha. I have a wifi booster set up in my system?
What process do you use to precondition the cabin and batteries?

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the Grizzl-E classic is one of the best EVSE units you can get. It is simple and reliable. It does not have wifi or Bluetooth and it does not care if the internet is down. It charges when I plug it in to the MME.

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
Ford Pass
I am unable to get my alpha charger to precondition with the Ford Pass app. When I attempt to pre condition using Ford Pass the charger faults. I turned off all the presets in the charger and still the amber light is present. United chargers is sending me a new unit. I am undecided whether to attempt to set the new unit up or sell it on eBay . The mobile charger included with the EV works flawlessly. I am considering purchasing a backup mobile charger from Ford. Maybe you could explain the process that you employed to charge and precondition. In addition the I was not aware the WIFI component was operational. Signal strength is not an issue to me. It might help me make a decision on which path to take. Clearly I arrived at a fork in road. OBTW I really enjoy driving my Mustang Mach E!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I installed the Emporia 48 Amp L2 charger and it works great. I already used Emporia power meters in my breaker box so whe I installed their charger, I added it to my app and it is integrated with all the power reports for my house. You can do some interesting things if you have solar like tell it to only charge when on solar power, or only to charge when there is enough available power in the house. I don't do that. I just monitor how much it costs to charge my MME.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/emporia-ev-charger

This is by far the least expensive WiFi 48 Amp charger out there at $499 (on sale now for $439). It has worked great for me so I highly recommend it.

20211210_194845.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-195959.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-201637.jpg

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
Thanks to those who noted my “Jukebox” for “Juicebox” error. I would love to blame autocorrect, but it was all me.

I ended up buying the Grizzl-E. I love the lack of features, ergo the simplicity, as all I need is the electricity. For me, FordPass has all the controls and reporting I need. Awful name, though.

I expect to get a second BEV, a tiny ”cheap” one, next year, and then I will need to replace it with something that will support two cables on one circuit, consecutively, not concurrently, of course.

Oneoone

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e premium
Occupation
Pc tech
Country flag
I mounted my openEVSE and cable holder this morning. I installed the cable holder under a second floor deck to somewhat keep it out of the weather. Suprisingly, the cable management for the 40 foot cable seems to work. It is nice to be able to just take the cable and plug in without taking the mobile charger out of the frunk. I used an NEMA 14-50 extension cord and while it was easy to plug in, removing the plug could be slightly difficult. I may install one or two awnings to further protect the equipment.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? Screenshot_20211210-201637

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? Screenshot_20211210-201637
Do you have issues tripping the GFCI on your breaker box with this charger?

Ned

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
waiting for ford
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Do you have issues tripping the GFCI on your breaker box with this charger?
Is the Ford Connected Charge Station a Level 2 charger?
The power company in AZ has a $250 rebate for some level 2 chargers. Ford's is not on the list.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
The power company in AZ has a $250 rebate for some level 2 chargers. Ford's is not on the list.
Yes.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That's likely because some companies, like JuiceBox and ChargePoint, have agreements with utilities to share the data. Ford likely doesn't.

Ned

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
waiting for ford
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That's likely because some companies, like JuiceBox and ChargePoint, have agreements with utilities to share the data. Ford likely doesn't.
Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear its a level 2. I already have a device from the power company that is plugged it my Mustang. It watches when and where I charge the car. They are doing it to get data for future infrastructure installations.
Sponsored