What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
This is likely a dumb question, but my research online is failing me. What exactly is the point of having a smart EVSE at home? Is it just to get charging stats and metrics? I understand the Mach-E can do scheduled charging, charge to a specific state of charge, and other things. Trying to figure out if I should spend the extra for a smart EVSE. I'm just not seeing the point. I don't care about charging stats. Am I missing something here?
In 7 years of EV ownership I have never had a need/want for a smart charger. Some electric providers offer incentives if you have a smart as it can report back to them, and respond in peak demand situations. But in all my years I just plug in when I want and walk away, we have the same rates 24/7. Honestly I have never even bothered with charge start times, or pre-departure as I wfh.
Sponsored

JayGanz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Extended Battery
Country flag
This is likely a dumb question, but my research online is failing me. What exactly is the point of having a smart EVSE at home? Is it just to get charging stats and metrics? I understand the Mach-E can do scheduled charging, charge to a specific state of charge, and other things. Trying to figure out if I should spend the extra for a smart EVSE. I'm just not seeing the point. I don't care about charging stats. Am I missing something here?
You are correct. If you just want a UL listed device that is built like a tank and don't need the bells and whistles, I don't see how you could do much better than the Grizzl-E. At $459 with a 24' cord it meets all of my needs.

If it wasn't for my Prius, I wouldn't care about the smart features as they duplicate the Mach E's. I want my cars to charge when I plug them in and automatically pause between 4-9 pm during peak rates. The Prius won't do this, the Mach E does. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Wallbox will do this either. Instead, you program charge start/stop times. You could program a bunch of start/stop times to somewhat duplicate the functionality. So far, no perfect solution for me. I'll probably stick with the Grizzl-E.

If you did want to run a neighborhood charging station and charge people for charging, a smart EVSE will let you do that. A smart EVSE generally lets you keep a stranger from plugging in without permission. My EVSE is inside my garage, so no benefit there for me.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
$450 Emporia L2 EVSE -adjustable 12A-49A.
Just had it installed - will be sharing between my incoming Lightning and my wife's PHEV (still waiting on her MME).
Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? IMG_9107.JPG

Dadams

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E GT-SOLD, 22 Sorento PHEV, 23 MachE GT RR
Country flag
Only reason I went with a smart charger is my electric company gave me a $500 rebate for a smart charger installation. I went with the wallbox pulsar plus and I have had no issues so far. I also installed it myself, so I saved alot of money. I Basically got the charger for $150.00. You might want to check if your electric company gives rebates too.

Rk808

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mirai: Volvo XC60; MME
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
is There any interface issues with a smart charger and the MME to be aware of. Kinda settling on the basic grizzle-e but the smart ones are alluring. Of concern is how reliable the onboard scheduling function is for charging to take advantage of the lowest charge times

galer

First Name
Gale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium & 1966 Mustang Coupe
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? The ford connected charge station, juice box, or something else?
I purchased the Ford Charger, and am pleased with it. I paid $1200 to have it installed by QMerit which included a permit which is required in the state I live in.

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
Charge Point Home Flex hard wired on 60 amp breaker.

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
My take on BEV chargers - Alpha charger Level 2 EV Charger.
I have had it for a year. They replaced it once due to the inability to charge when using the ponies charging parameters.. It is not meeting my expectations in respect to all of the potential they touted. I paid 100 dollars off list for a prerelease order which sounded attractive. It performs adequately now. In hind sight I would prefer a level 2 dumb charger. Our electric(Eversource)supplier is now using the built in MME telematics to provide incentives for off peak usage. So using a charger with WiFi capability is not an issue. The MME has programmable parameters for delayed charging. I set the parameters to charge between 9P to 6A and let the horse do the rest. It charges almost flawlessly every day. Then I ride my pony during the day. At the end of day she rests and feeds at night. Ready to ride in the morning. Gotta love it!

Ned

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
waiting for ford
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My take on BEV chargers - Alpha charger Level 2 EV Charger.
I have had it for a year. They replaced it once due to the inability to charge when using the ponies charging parameters.. It is not meeting my expectations in respect to all of the potential they touted. I paid 100 dollars off list for a prerelease order which sounded attractive. It performs adequately now. In hind sight I would prefer a level 2 dumb charger. Our electric(Eversource)supplier is now using the built in MME telematics to provide incentives for off peak usage. So using a charger with WiFi capability is not an issue. The MME has programmable parameters for delayed charging. I set the parameters to charge between 9P to 6A and let the horse do the rest. It charges almost flawlessly every day. Then I ride my pony during the day. At the end of day she rests and feeds at night. Ready to ride in the morning. Gotta love it!
I have the Ford Charger on the wall with a 60 amp CB. I have had it for 8 months and am very happy with it.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
ChargePoint HomeFlex on NEMA 14-50 plug. In service since 12-21. No issues at all. Very happy with the selection. I use it for a PHEV and my Pony.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
$450 Emporia L2 EVSE -adjustable 12A-49A.
Just had it installed - will be sharing between my incoming Lightning and my wife's PHEV (still waiting on her MME).
IMG_9107.JPG
Correction - 48A on my Lightning is working out very well - once a week charging - my Lariat standard range battery Lightning.

At $0.21 kWh, I pay about $15 once a week to charge her.

Just picked her up last week - getting first charge on 48A L2:
Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? IMG_9309.JPG

marko

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Occupation
accountant
Country flag
Is a charger really needed? My reading early in the process led me to believe the charger only sped up the charge time by a couple hours tops (assuming you were using 240 volt charge). If charging overnight then the two hours is nominal at best.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Wallbox will do this either. Instead, you program charge start/stop times. You could program a bunch of start/stop times to somewhat duplicate the functionality.
Just gettin used to the Wallbox. It will support your use case with a single schedule that begins at 9 PM and ends at 4 PM.
Sponsored