What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

mmm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT , 13 Landcruiser, 68 MG, 18 IS350
Country flag
I have two Charge Point chargers, one at home and one at lake home. Both work great, only problem is you can not have two home chargers on the same account. So I have two accounts set up, not really necessary to charge (set charging parameters in the car/fordpass) but nice to see monthly cost and use.
Sponsored

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
I have a condo on the 10th floor. My garage does not pick up my Wi-Fi signal. What kind of charger should I purchase? As an aside, I also have a T Mobile 5G internet modem that I can put in my garage. Can I run the charging unit off of T Mobile internet connection and see it on my phone? Thanks

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have a condo on the 10th floor. My garage does not pick up my Wi-Fi signal. What kind of charger should I purchase? As an aside, I also have a T Mobile 5G internet modem that I can put in my garage. Can I run the charging unit off of T Mobile internet connection and see it on my phone? Thanks
What type of outlet is in the garage for you to plug in to? Is there a requirement in your building to have a smart EVSE?

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
They will install a 220 line inside my garage.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You don't really "need" a smart charger that requires network access. Smart chargers are nice since they gather some statistics you can't otherwise get, but are generally not necessary. Clipper Creek and Grizzl-e are pretty good; I would avoid the knockoffs on amazon.

I'd just get a non-smart charger such as a Grizzl-e in that situation and just rely on the Ford Pass app for status.
Exactly: the car already has the ability to set charging windows and charging preferences, although it relies on its GPS receiver to detect where it is in order to match the charging profile. If you get decent GPS location info in the garage you'll be fine with letting the car take car of that. If not, then you can either let it charge to 100% all the time as soon as you plug it in, or you'll need to use your modem and choose a smart charger that can set a charge level in it.

JimG

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That is why I hardwired the ChargePoint and used the maximum wire size and breaker they recommend so I can change to any setting I want without issue.
What wire size did you use? I plan on hard wiring a ChargePoint with a 60 amp fuse and #6 wire.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I got a Clipper Creek 30/24 amp plug in because the home I purchased only had a 30 amp outlet in the garage. It was pricey at $500, but a solid piece of kit that hasn't given me any problems. The Grizzl-e would have been my other choice.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What wire size did you use? I plan on hard wiring a ChargePoint with a 60 amp fuse and #6 wire.
Jim, I used a 60 amp breaker with #6 wire (copper) just like you plan on doing. That way my output amperage is 48.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Jim, I used a 60 amp breaker with #6 wire (copper) just like you plan on doing. That way my output amperage is 48.
#6 on a 60A breaker is fine with THHN in conduit. If you’re running NM (Romex) you need #4.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
#6 on a 60A breaker is fine with THHN in conduit. If you’re running NM (Romex) you need #4.
Yes, I am using #6 THHN through a 5" conduit that goes directly from the back of the ChargePoint charger, through the wall and into the breaker box (charger is mounted on opposite wall of breaker box). Total wire length is 16". As a side note, the ChargePoint Homeflex accepts a maximum of #6 wire.
Sponsored