What percent of your charging is done at home?

What percent of your charging is done at home, (if any)?

• 0%

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • 0% - 10%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 40%-50%

• 60% - 70%

• 70% - 80%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 80% - 90%

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • 90% - 100%

Votes: 246 79.4%

• Total voters

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Take into account how much you charge at home.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I don’t have a Mach-E yet so I can’t vote. I can say that my Fusion’s charged every day at a public station or I could not make it home without gasoline being used. Probably 65%-70% home charging on that tiny battery. I fully expect that upward of 95% of my charging will be at home on my Mach-E, although I will be trying a public CCS charger during its first week or two just to try it before needing one on a road trip.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
The small sample so far is proving what I thought - all of this talk about the lack of electric charging infrastructure is unfounded.
"Say it loud people!"

Please like:

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Also, if you have a travel charger and sufficient time - charging infrastructure is everywhere there's an outlet.

Blackbluff

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The small sample so far is proving what I thought - all of this talk about the lack of electric charging infrastructure is unfounded.
True if most of your miles are in town or to work and back. Obviously, trips out of town over 150 miles will require charging infrastructure. The more EVs get on the road, the more demand for 'electric' stations will arise. Time will dictate the ever increasing need.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I initially decided not to cast a vote because at the moment it would be highly deceiving. 4000 of our 6000 miles have been road trips. But that's not the norm.

The norm will be 100% of charging within range of home will be at home. So maybe I'll just vote that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, yes and no. Keep in mind that the people here you asked the question of have already done the calculus to determine that a BEV will work for their situation. But that's only a small subset of the broader car-purchasing public. The vast majority here likely have a house and can/have installed a home circuit for a charger. While the vast majority that don't have that easy capability wouldn't even buy a BEV in the first place (for good reason). Charging at home is arguably the single biggest advantage of buying a BEV.

But of course road trip charging is important too. Most people want the ability to take their car on the road as well.

Charging infrastructure also includes L2 charging at places like apartments, condos, hotels, etc. That's where much of the effort should be going IMO.

OP
OP
mburtsvt

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
True if most of your miles are in town or to work and back. Obviously, trips out of town over 150 miles will require charging infrastructure. The more EVs get on the road, the more demand for 'electric' stations will arise. Time will dictate the ever increasing need.
I’m going to respectively disagree. Charging stations are not the answer - higher battery capacity is. Very few EV’s are used for long trips - it’s the same with ICE cars. Most cars are used for the short trips and commuting. If home chargers are a majority of what is charging EV’s - why do we need such an extensive charging network, especially if battery technology hits 400-500 miles in the next 4-7 (projected) years. This only came up with a Tesla owner who was touting the charging network as the next best thing on earth - I just don’t see it.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m going to respectively disagree. Charging stations are not the answer - higher battery capacity is. Very few EV’s are used for long trips - it’s the same with ICE cars. Most cars are used for the short trips and commuting. If home chargers are a majority of what is charging EV’s - why do we need such an extensive charging network, especially if battery technology hits 400-500 miles in the next 4-7 (projected) years. This only came up with a Tesla owner who was touting the charging network as the next best thing on earth - I jus don’t see it.
That another "yes and no". I agree that more range is better, and reduces the need for quite as many DCFC road trip chargers. But batteries are very expensive, even with gradually decreasing prices. They also weigh a lot. Loading up with batteries to get more range becomes less productive at some point for many vehicles (making them too expensive for the masses to afford).

While it's true that most MILES are driven locally, it's not necessarily true that most VEHICLES are used exclusively for local driving. Lots of people use their vehicles for both -- mostly local miles, but also some road trips.

Also keep in mind that 400 BEV range is realistically more like 250 on highways, by the time you subtract the high speed penalty, the 10% buffer at the bottom, and only charging up to 80% for subsequent legs.

OP
OP
mburtsvt

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That another "yes and no". I agree that more range is better, and reduces the need for quite as many DCFC road trip chargers. But batteries are very expensive, even with gradually decreasing prices. They also weigh a lot. Loading up with batteries to get more range becomes less productive at some point for many vehicles (making them too expensive for the masses to afford).

While it's true that most MILES are driven locally, it's not necessarily true that most VEHICLES are used exclusively for local driving. Lots of people use their vehicles for both -- mostly local miles, but also some road trips.

Also keep in mind that 400 BEV range is realistically more like 250 on highways, by the time you subtract the high speed penalty, the 10% buffer at the bottom, and only charging up to 80% for subsequent legs.
All true. I suspect I’m counting too much on the "technology curve” progression. Four years ago average range was 110 miles and the cost was 2-3 times as much. Easley dubbing current systems would encourage adaptation along with lowering the need for charging stations. A great example is think about how many gas stations were around when cars only got 12-15 miles per gallon. They are all gone now - along with the reason to have a “service station” with additional vehicle support services.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Electric cars with small batteries can be efficient and work very well for local driving.

Cars with gas tanks work extremely well for long-distance driving.

OP
OP
mburtsvt

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Electric cars with small batteries can be efficient and work very well for local driving.

Cars with gas tanks work extremely well for long-distance driving.
Yes they do - so...... do we buy both?
Sponsored