What percent of your charging is done at home?

What percent of your charging is done at home, (if any)?

• 0%

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • 0% - 10%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 40%-50%

• 60% - 70%

• 70% - 80%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 80% - 90%

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • 90% - 100%

Votes: 246 79.4%

• Total voters

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Unless you have a separate meter for just the car I can't see how that would work for somebody just Sunbelt state that uses air conditioning during Peak periods of the day. 24 cents per kilowatt-hour is outrageous just to save money charging the car in the middle of the night.
Here in Florida are air-conditioning runs almost non-stop during the day which would be at the highest rate. It runs very little during the lowest rate period and it is by far the majority of our usage.
I think you're half right...

I switched to this from the basic/standard non-TOU plan. Removing the BEV from the equation, then yes this is a more expensive option based on my historical usage.

I ran my actual numbers across all of SRP's price plans (yes I wrote a program for this haha). I don't recall the numbers right now but the EV plan was maybe a few hundred dollars higher per year without the vehicle and a few hundred lower with it.

So another way to look at it is that my refueling costs are more than six cents per hour due to opportunity cost of being on this plan versus a different one.

Since I'm on a TOU plan now I'm also inclined to change some habits, such as waiting until 8pm to cool the house down a bit more. It's hard for me to put this in my data model since this isn't a choice I made in they past.

I live in a typical suburban house, somewhere between 1200-2000 sq ft (which is the typical range here). There is a single, 5 ton "12 SEER" HVAC system from 20 years ago, running maybe 8-10 hours on the worst days. I think the Mustang uses more energy to refuel than the AC to keep the house livable.

Anyway, interesting stuff to think about. You may be able to call FPL to ask what your cost would be on various plans based on your historical usage. SRP has that info for its customers. I didn't know that when I wrote my own program, but eventually I called and their what-if numbers were within a dollar of mine.
Sponsored

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What utility charges 5 cents per kwh? FPL is one of the cheaper ones and it is 10 cents.
Northern Wasco County PUD in Oregon. They use wind and hydro for power.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If I'm not going on a road trip (very rare in my EV due to charging hassles), 100% charging at home with the 110v charger.

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
I think you're half right...

I switched to this from the basic/standard non-TOU plan. Removing the BEV from the equation, then yes this is a more expensive option based on my historical usage.

I ran my actual numbers across all of SRP's price plans (yes I wrote a program for this haha). I don't recall the numbers right now but the EV plan was maybe a few hundred dollars higher per year without the vehicle and a few hundred lower with it.

So another way to look at it is that my refueling costs are more than six cents per hour due to opportunity cost of being on this plan versus a different one.

Since I'm on a TOU plan now I'm also inclined to change some habits, such as waiting until 8pm to cool the house down a bit more. It's hard for me to put this in my data model since this isn't a choice I made in they past.

I live in a typical suburban house, somewhere between 1200-2000 sq ft (which is the typical range here). There is a single, 5 ton "12 SEER" HVAC system from 20 years ago, running maybe 8-10 hours on the worst days. I think the Mustang uses more energy to refuel than the AC to keep the house livable.

Anyway, interesting stuff to think about. You may be able to call FPL to ask what your cost would be on various plans based on your historical usage. SRP has that info for its customers. I didn't know that when I wrote my own program, but eventually I called and their what-if numbers were within a dollar of mine.
I actually have a separate meter for our shop, which isn't air conditioned for the most part (one storage room is at 82Ā° and my wood shop is only when I'm actually using it), the majority of the shop is used for vehicle storage and not air-conditioned. If we plugged the Mach e in there a plan like that might actually work to our advantage. Unfortunately neither my wife nor I want to walk that far to get the car, especially in the pouring rain, LOL!

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Iā€™m going to respectively disagree. Charging stations are not the answer - higher battery capacity is. Very few EVā€™s are used for long trips - itā€™s the same with ICE cars. Most cars are used for the short trips and commuting. If home chargers are a majority of what is charging EVā€™s - why do we need such an extensive charging network, especially if battery technology hits 400-500 miles in the next 4-7 (projected) years. This only came up with a Tesla owner who was touting the charging network as the next best thing on earth - I just donā€™t see it.
I must respectfully disagree with your dismissal of the need for more/better charging infrastructure. There are gas stations at pretty much every interstate exit and every town. This ubiquity is required because of the various mileage capacity of ICE engines and the widespread starting points of any given trip. It will be the same for EVs, just wonā€™t need as many local stations for those who can charge at home.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
My company is installing ChargePoint 50A chargers across the country at our facilities and while my spouse and I only visit the office MAYBE once a week, we utilize the free charging there as much as possible. I've also used DCFC a few times after owning for 2 weeks.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, couple of thoughts here:
I switched from a traditional plan to a TOU plan because even without the Mustang Mach E, my electric bill would go down by about 25%
I do all my charging at home unless Iā€™m going out of town. From what I can tell, even if Iā€™m not a member, the cost of charging at a DCFC is roughly the equivalent of filling a gas powered car, so no big deal.
What we really need is an expanded squeegee infrastructure for electric vehicles!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So, couple of thoughts here:
I switched from a traditional plan to a TOU plan because even without the Mustang Mach E, my electric bill would go down by about 25%
I do all my charging at home unless Iā€™m going out of town. From what I can tell, even if Iā€™m not a member, the cost of charging at a DCFC is roughly the equivalent of filling a gas powered car, so no big deal.
What we really need is an expanded squeegee infrastructure for electric vehicles!
Laughing...

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
In seven weeks of ownership,, I have used 1,566 kWh charging at home, ~100 kWh free at public L2 chargers, and 390 kWh at Electrify America. I had not expected to use DCFC so often but then it is winter.

LTFordFan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
True if most of your miles are in town or to work and back. Obviously, trips out of town over 150 miles will require charging infrastructure. The more EVs get on the road, the more demand for 'electric' stations will arise. Time will dictate the ever increasing need.
One of the shocking things I've experienced with my Mach E was the cost of charging on the road. Electrify America at $0.43/kw (the only one I could find that charges at the max rate allowable) is a lot more than I was expecting. Envious of those Tesla owners that have free super charging . . . Not really economical.

Super off peak electrical rates, even in the very expensive Southern California area, is a lot cheaper

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
My condo does not have any plugs and has not allowed me to install my own charging station (even at my own expense).

Luckily I live near a free Volta station which is good for a slow charge once or twice a week. I also regularly see family (3-4x per week) and there's a public Chargepoint station a block away so I've been parking there and using it when possible ($1.50/hr, L2 speeds).

Otherwise I'll take advantage of the free Electrify America weekends whenever possible

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
People who live in condos and apartments often do not have a charging capability, so the more charge public fast charging infrastructure we have, the more folks in those situations would consider owning an EV.
The amount one charges at home is going to vary tremendously depending on how much longer trips are part of the equation. Given the expense of most public chargers most folks are going to charge at home whenever possible.

We have a pretty substantial solar power system that produces about 1.5 times the energy required to charge the MME. So we try to charge when the system production is at or above the 7.9 MWH or whatever it is. Weā€™re trying to offset our large carbon footprint from our truck camper (11 mpg) and our frequent trips. Every little bit helps.

This also allows me to have fun accelerating rapidly and enjoying the sporty part of the MME experience without feeling guilty about producing the pollutants of an ICE.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Normally I would charge at home 95%+ of the time. I've only DCFC to test how it all works with plug and charge. Now I DCFC once a week just to use up the free 500KW hour before it expires. If not for either of those I would have 0% on DCFC.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
One of the shocking things I've experienced with my Mach E was the cost of charging on the road. Electrify America at $0.43/kw (the only one I could find that charges at the max rate allowable) is a lot more than I was expecting. Envious of those Tesla owners that have free super charging . . . Not really economical.

Super off peak electrical rates, even in the very expensive Southern California area, is a lot cheaper
Electrify America has Pass+, which provides $0.32/kW instead of $0.43/kW. $4 to join for a month, and you can turn it off / on at will. Sign up, then cancel 5 minutes later and in 30 days you're off the plan. Breakeven is on your first 1 or 2 fills.

Note that EA charges by the kW in states where they can, but in many states they charge by the MINUTE, and the effective rate is about 1/2.
Sponsored