What percent of your charging is done at home?

What percent of your charging is done at home, (if any)?

• 0%

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • 0% - 10%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 40%-50%

• 60% - 70%

• 70% - 80%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 80% - 90%

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • 90% - 100%

Votes: 246 79.4%

• Total voters

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’m a significant outlier because I found free Level 2 charging less than 2 blocks from my office. I charge there once a week during the workday. Found this AFTER I spent nearly a $1k running 240 service to my garage.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I’m a significant outlier because I found free Level 2 charging less than 2 blocks from my office. I charge there once a week during the workday. Found this AFTER I spent nearly a $1k running 240 service to my garage.
free level 2 - WOW lucky you!
do they make you disconnect and move when your car is full???

...too bad your garage 240v was so expensive. Did they have to dig a trench of something? 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet and circuit *should* cost less than $500 in most cases, and it soulds like you might have been able to get by with 110v outlet for lvl-1 most of the time anyway!

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
free level 2 - WOW lucky you!
do they make you disconnect and move when your car is full???

...too bad your garage 240v was so expensive. Did they have to dig a trench of something? 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet and circuit *should* cost less than $500 in most cases, and it soulds like you might have been able to get by with 110v outlet for lvl-1 most of the time anyway!
I live in Kansas so the spots are never full :) Regardless, it takes all day to get my car charged back up anyway.

My home job cost so much because of the labor involved in fishing the wire from my finished basement breaker box up to my garage - that and I needed almost every foot of a 125’ spool of 6/3 Romex (not cheap!). I hate fishing wire through walls and ceilings - otherwise I would have done the job myself.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That brings up another good poll.... how many people have access to charging while parked at work? free, or at what cost/kWhr?
I have access to L2 at work. No cost to me. I usually plug in but don't charge. It is more important to me that the car is plugged in to cool itself vs charging the battery. I normally charge during the late late evening and early morning hours year round.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have access to L2 at work. No cost to me. I usually plug in but don't charge. It is more important to me that the car is plugged in to cool itself vs charging the battery. I normally charge during the late late evening and early morning hours year round.
If you are not charging you are basically ICEing the spot for your convenience. Hopefully it is not a public charger.

In Oregon you can get over a $400 fine for blocking an EV spot if you are not actively charging your car.

Last edited:

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I have free L2 at work as well and I have the only EVs. I rotate around the 6 chargers to keep them lubed....lol. .I charged Friday for the weekend. Now that I have 30%, I will charge to 90% tomorrow. My company offers it for us Carbon Friendly folks for free. Hence, at home, I only charge about 20-25% of the time. I have not been to a gas station in over 6 weeks and so far it’s a cool $441 back in the checking account over the last 5 weeks since my truck is gone. So I spent $47 in electricity at home for charging so a net of $400/month saved In energy. So My Mach E nets out at a whopping $150/ month.....I am not complaining.

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
So far it's been 100% at home but I plan on making some road trips in the future.
I had a 50 amp 220v at the house already for my motorhome so I could change it the minute I got home. Friday I had an electrician put one in my garage to serve my new Grizzl-E level 2 charger.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What percent of your charging is done at home? 20210628_003140

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
Sure. Many families own two cars. One of each works great.

For one-car families, a short-range electric can still work very well. It's easy to rent a gas car for the occasional long-distance trip.

If you travel long distance frequently, electric can be a major hassle.
That's the only way an electric vehicle interested us. We have an F-150 pickup truck that we can drive cross-country If I can make it on one charge at lunch time in the Mach e I can go as far as Atlanta or Key West. Much farther than that is probably just to much of a hassle. Too bad they can't be flat towed behind a motorhome.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Take into account how much you charge at home.
I've been charging 80%-90% at home. Two weeks ago I started going back to the office. Plug in at 6 AM, unplug at 8: AM, and then the rest of the day under cover. Also, when available, take full advantage of free chargers around town. Since I'm still driving very little, my home charger has been idled.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
That brings up another good poll.... how many people have access to charging while parked at work? free, or at what cost/kWhr?
My current job has free charging. Previously, had a job where one location charged $0.03/kWh and another $0.30/hr. Both locations charged $3.00/hr after the first 3.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If you are not charging you are basically ICEing the spot for your convenience. Hopefully it is not a public charger.

In Oregon you can get over a $400 fine for blocking an EV spot if you are not actively charging your car.
In Phoenix, behind a locked gate, in my own parking spot assigned to me with an EVSE that I installed myself.....

The fine is $0.00

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's really good! More states need to enact fines for blocking a charger, although what do they do at a hotel where you plug in at arrival time and the car finishes charging at 4AM? I assume there's wording to account for that case?

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I voted 100%. I don't have any EV yet, but I have a 16 kW JuiceBox EVSE installed and ready (set up for 7.2 kW now) since 2014. My trips will be all short since I live on an island and any point is less than 50 miles away. So one night of charge can last me all month.

My present 2014 Fusion Hybrid gets me over 40 MPG any day. Its 12 gallon gas tank lasts me over a month. When I get my EV, I will never need external charging. Going to any electric charge station here is worse than to a gas station (there is one just 600 feet away), and will cost more in money and time.,

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yes they do - so...... do we buy both?
Yes you can.... in a plug in hybrid.

As an extra note, Ford does offer a range extender engine for the 2022 F-150 Lightning truck. You can search "Ford Authority" for that news. Or just buy the hybrid version.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I am probably the biggest outlier here. I don't have mine but I don't have at home charging. I live in DC and near me there are 3 rapid charging locations, and about 20 Level 2 places to charge just within a mile and a half. Then there are chargers all of the place here. Grocery stores, movie theaters, parking garages, you name it. I am in one of the few areas where not having an at home charger is pretty easy.
Sponsored