What percent of your charging is done at home?

What percent of your charging is done at home, (if any)?

• 0%

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • 0% - 10%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 40%-50%

• 60% - 70%

• 70% - 80%

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 80% - 90%

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • 90% - 100%

Votes: 246 79.4%

• Total voters

TOBG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I primarily charge at home it is the cheapest method for me. I have a 240 EVSE installed so I can easily charge overnight. Most of my trips fall within a 50 mile radius. My largest trip I am planning is 700 miles round trip. There enough Level 3 charges to make the trip practical for me. I have used a couple of Level 3 charges close to home to test out the process in advance of my trip.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My vote is heading back toward >90% but our road trip to FL was a large chunk of our mileage driven so far.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Electric cars with small batteries can be efficient and work very well for local driving.

Cars with gas tanks work extremely well for long-distance driving.
Cars with big batteries like the Mach E work extremely well for long-distance driving in most of the US.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I’m going to respectively disagree. Charging stations are not the answer - higher battery capacity is. Very few EV’s are used for long trips - it’s the same with ICE cars. Most cars are used for the short trips and commuting. If home chargers are a majority of what is charging EV’s - why do we need such an extensive charging network, especially if battery technology hits 400-500 miles in the next 4-7 (projected) years. This only came up with a Tesla owner who was touting the charging network as the next best thing on earth - I jus don’t see it.
I am just jumping in today, but I am not so sure.

For example . . . a comparison might be, how many times did you fill up with gas within 5 miles of home vs outside of that range?

We absolutely need infrastructure along the major interstates. With ONE road trip of 1,000 miles round trip I am still in the 90-100% range, but I still want that infrastructure there when I need it. Denser urban areas need better infrastructure too. My son's apartment complex has no outside outlets and nowhere to charge. When we visited him on that road trip I had to rely on public infrastructure.

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
As others may have remarked, density of charge stations is totally dependent on where you live and travel so these comments are pretty much useless unless specific info about where you live and where you’re going is included.

greenaero

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME gray , Mazda Cx5, Honda CBR250R
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Country flag
so far , 100% at home but looking forward to doing some longer trips. Local trips within the battery range are the major advantage of BEVs as long as home charging is available.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
safe to say most if not all of it. WHen I go back to the office I might use the free charger there some but I am not going to be willing to do much extra effort to save less than star bucks coffee worth or money.
I sure as hell am not going to be like the entitle prick who will unplug you if you park in "his spot" and take "his charger". FYI these chargers and spots are own by the building and told to only be in it for 4 hours. He will unplug your car and plug his in if you park in "his spot" even when there are 5 other open spots.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I calculated my costs and at $0.05 per kWh it costs me $4.99 to fully charge my car at my house from 0-100%. That means about $0.02 per mile if I get 270 miles per charge average.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
Don't drive a lot, so I just plan my trips around charging. Getting low last week, so used some spare Hilton HHonors points to stay at an Embassy suites in town with a gf that has free charging. I'll drop her Leaf off there to charge for a few hours sometimes.

Most places I visit have either ChargePoint's on-site or on the way. Was getting a bit low while driving to Lancaster, PA with the gf's Leaf, so we stopped at a Tru in Denver, PA to charge free.

Rinse and repeat, except now with a Mustang. Probably do 20-30% at most of charging here, I've used my tesla power wall charger 3 times.

Chargepoint and free is where it's at. Also gotta love the sometimes unmarked Tesla destination chargers + TeslaTap. Only $259, made in the US and slim.

Lectron makes one too, less aesthetically pleasing.

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME built May21 Space W, MME built Dec21 Star W
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a 2017 Ford Focus BEV and I charge almost exclusive at home using 16amp charger. About 10miles/hr. my Focus easily has 105-110 mile range and I it works for me.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Unless I'm doing a road trip further than 135.5 miles away ?, all my charging is at home.
I’m the same, with the exception that you would need to switch the word “home” out and replace it with the word “work”.

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
I’m the same, with the exception that you would need to switch the word “home” out and replace it with the word “work”.
I work from home, so.... Both?

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
I calculated my costs and at $0.05 per kWh it costs me $4.99 to fully charge my car at my house from 0-100%. That means about $0.02 per mile if I get 270 miles per charge average.
What utility charges 5 cents per kwh? FPL is one of the cheaper ones and it is 10 cents.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
Refilling my vehicle costs between 5.75 to 6.14 cents per kilowatt hour.

https://srpnet.com/prices/home/electricvehicle.aspx
Unless you have a separate meter for just the car I can't see how that would work for somebody just Sunbelt state that uses air conditioning during Peak periods of the day. 24 cents per kilowatt-hour is outrageous just to save money charging the car in the middle of the night.
Here in Florida are air-conditioning runs almost non-stop during the day which would be at the highest rate. It runs very little during the lowest rate period and it is by far the majority of our usage.
Sponsored