What tax Incentives does your State or Country provide?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I am really curious about this . . . Ohio will now have a BEV plant with the new Endurance pickup to be produced at the former Lordstown Cruze plant. However, when Ohio passed the new gas tax last year, raising it by about a dime, they decided to punish Hybrid, Plug-in, and BEV owners. Now you have to pay $100 MORE to register a hybrid for the year, and $200 MORE to register a PEV, or BEV. I calculated I would pay about $245 in taxes to Ohio for my Fusion Energi PEV, where if I had bought a gas powered Fusion and drive the same 12,000 miles, based on EPA ratings, I would only pay $171 in tax to Ohio. That is how backward our legislature is. And NO tax incentives.

So, what does Your state or country offer for EV adopters?
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Surprisingly, Virginia does not have a tax benefit for EVs. It is up for debate later this year as they gather information. Hopefully it will be retroactive.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I am really curious about this . . . Ohio will now have a BEV plant with the new Endurance pickup to be produced at the former Lordstown Cruze plant. However, when Ohio passed the new gas tax last year, raising it by about a dime, they decided to punish Hybrid, Plug-in, and BEV owners. Now you have to pay $100 MORE to register a hybrid for the year, and $200 MORE to register a PEV, or BEV. I calculated I would pay about $245 in taxes to Ohio for my Fusion Energi PEV, where if I had bought a gas powered Fusion and drive the same 12,000 miles, based on EPA ratings, I would only pay $171 in tax to Ohio. That is how backward our legislature is. And NO tax incentives.

At the moment, UK government gives a £3000 Plug In Car Grant (PICG) for BEV's under £50,000

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Surprisingly, Virginia does not have a tax benefit for EVs. It is up for debate later this year as they gather information. Hopefully it will be retroactive.
Yea - I'm kinda bummed they haven't done anything yet, but I also hope they come through and make it retro. At least my local power util finally added an EV charging time-of-day option, though it requires a second meter which requires professional install + inspection.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag

I assume the increase in registration is to replace the taxes lost from gas to keep up the roads, etc? If so, it's not backward, but prudent sustainability planning.

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 21 MME GTPE, 23 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
New York is taken off the price right at the time of sale. It is the dealer who files and gets reimbursed. Only catch is you have to keep the car 3 years or the state can come after you to get some or all of it back. So far I have received $1100 for my 2017 Pacifica PHEV, $1100 for daughters Kia Niro PHEV and $500 (because the MSRP is over $60k even though we didn't pay that) for my wife's Jaguar I-Pace. I am looking forward to the full $2k for the Mach-E. NY also has a budget limit and the pool is dwindling down but it still has around $20 million of the original $55 million left.

1593087278707.png

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I assume the increase in registration is to replace the taxes lost from gas to keep up the roads, etc? If so, it's not backward, but prudent sustainability planning.
Except that states are over-taxing the electric vehicles when they do this. The OP's example is not unique:

https://www.consumerreports.org/hyb...tting-electric-vehicle-owners-with-high-fees/

Additionally, the logic for taxing BEVs ignores that BEV buyers already pay more in sales tax and property taxes given that BEVs are still much more expensive than the ICE equivalent.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Yea - I'm kinda bummed they haven't done anything yet, but I also hope they come through and make it retro. At least my local power util finally added an EV charging time-of-day option, though it requires a second meter which requires professional install + inspection.
Novec hasn't as yet in Northern VA. I may see if I can switch to Dominion.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Except that states are over-taxing the electric vehicles when they do this. The OP's example is not unique:

https://www.consumerreports.org/hyb...tting-electric-vehicle-owners-with-high-fees/

Additionally, the logic for taxing BEVs ignores that BEV buyers already pay more in sales tax and property taxes given that BEVs are still much more expensive than the ICE equivalent.
Unfortunately true... higher fees makes some sense, but not when they are higher than what they are replacing...

Michigan wasn't listed in that article (my state), but it's no better here... https://energynews.us/2020/01/22/mi...unfair-and-poised-to-get-worse-advocates-say/

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here in Quebec the province has an $8,000 incentive for BEV under $60,000 MSRP , that makes the MME Select and Premium entitled for this program , and $4,000 to $8,000 for PHEV depending of the battery size, which is supported by the dealers untill they receive the money directly from the government. They also have a $600 incentive when you buy a wall charger. The federal government has an incentive program of $5,000 has long has a model car has a trim under $45,000, so the MME is not entitled for that one at the moment, but there was supposedly some talks about changing this but they didn't present a budget yet due to Covid-19, so this one is on the ice now.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I don't mind paying my fair share on this for sustainability . . . but keep in mind, the gas tax went up 11 cents. If you review my math above, even with the full gas tax of .385, I am paying about 43% MORE in that sustainability in tax than if I had bought an ICE Fusion. And don't forget they collect tax on electricity too - although that does not go for roads. With a new EV and battery plant in Ohio, you would think they would want to ENCOURAGE EV adoption. Not impose a penalty.

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Why am I NOT surprised this kind of legislation came from ALEC? They are anti consumer and anti public in all respects. Big supporters of for profit charter school legislation too. (I am a public school board member)

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't mind paying my fair share on this for sustainability . . . but keep in mind, the gas tax went up 11 cents. If you review my math above, even with the full gas tax of .385, I am paying about 43% MORE in that sustainability in tax than if I had bought an ICE Fusion. And don't forget they collect tax on electricity too - although that does not go for roads. With a new EV and battery plant in Ohio, you would think they would want to ENCOURAGE EV adoption. Not impose a penalty.
There was talk about paying more for your EV plate each year in order to support road construction and repair but finally they came to the conclusion that it was to early for that if they wanted to help with EV adoption.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is a good site for info per state: (drop down on right for different states)
https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/ELEC?state=MI

For Michigan, it looks like the most useful on is rebates on installing qualifying chargers (requires data sharing capabilities, etc...), and details are different depending on which power company...

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Here is a good site for info per state: (drop down on right for different states)
https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/ELEC?state=MI

For Michigan, it looks like the most useful on is rebates on installing qualifying chargers (requires data sharing capabilities, etc...), and details are different depending on which power company...
And now I get to find out that the bill in Ohio was sponsored by my own local legislator, and I am further NOT surprised. https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA133-HB-62
Sponsored