What temp. is considered "cold" where you'd see range drop?

SOLIDAge

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Premium
Country flag
It's been unseasonably cold where I am in South Carolina, between 40-55 during the day. I just came from visiting the north east, where it was MUCH colder and my range was def. well under 180miles.

Anyway, I got my 21P22 update installed today, and reset my EV driving history and it says at 100% i'm going to get 230miles. Which is also weird because I know that update gives a better + more accurate range in cold weather.

YES i realize that it's an overall estimate, YES i realize that it adjusts in real time when driving, and NO I'm not freaking out. But i am curious what is considered cold to the battery where I'll start getting decreased range. (in my case about 16% as i have an AWD premium + extended range).
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
60 and lower is cold. 230 is due to the reset, it is using summer value.

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
If memory serves, Ford's documentation says 40 degrees.

FWIW - I took a trip last weekend in mid-high 20s with GTPE, and running the battery from 100% to sub 20% was on track for almost exactly 200 miles. Primarily interstate driving around 80mph.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
From my experience under 50 slight, under 40 more, 20-30 noticeable, teens and lower . . . scary..
Then for 65-80 you have to add some range to be fair.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The battery really likes 80°F. That’s when I had the highest displayed range and the highest miles/kwh. It’s all downhill from there. But it’s an exponential curve. So the effects are minimal to about 60°F. Then very steep after you get below 40°F.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Rereading my above comment makes me realize why my wife likes her car so much. They are kindred spirits. She has a very narrow window in which she thinks the temperature is good. Hotter and she becomes less industrious. Colder (60°) and she requires external heat (heating blanket). Too cold and she doesn’t want to move very far at all. I finally get it.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t have my car yet but was supposed to go to a wedding in Lake Placid NY This weekend.

when I thought I might get the car before the wedding I was thinking I would drive from just north of NYC, roughly 250 miles. Lake Placid was -27 the other night without the wind chill. I then said no way would I take the car on that kind of trip.

max range would probably be no more than 150 miles on EB , AWD. I would think charging up would also take longer when weather is that cold. Plus my wife would need Xanax for that trip.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I don’t have my car yet but was supposed to go to a wedding in Lake Placid NY This weekend.

when I thought I might get the car before the wedding I was thinking I would drive from just north of NYC, roughly 250 miles. Lake Placid was -27 the other night without the wind chill. I then said no way would I take the car on that kind of trip.

max range would probably be no more than 150 miles on EB , AWD. I would think charging up would also take longer when weather is that cold. Plus my wife would need Xanax for that trip.
I drove through placid last week. It was a work trip so I had a company ICE car. The Evolve NY charger in Keene is almost complete. There is charging in Schroon Lake. And a couple other places. NYC to Placid is doable. But in this kind of cold you’re going to have to hit EVERY charger on the way up.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I drove through placid last week. It was a work trip so I had a company ICE car. The Evolve NY charger in Keene is almost complete. There is charging in Schroon Lake. And a couple other places. NYC to Placid is doable. But in this kind of cold you’re going to have to hit EVERY charger on the way up.
It may be doable but as my first long range trip I don’t think I would try it. I will drive to cape cod during the summer, would feel much more comfortable

thanks for the info, appreciated

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Ford says below 40, but I'm with others who see plenty of "loss" here during our Portland winter (i.e. high temps in the 40s and 50s, low temps into the 30s).

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
From my experience under 50 slight, under 40 more, 20-30 noticeable, teens and lower . . . scary..
Then for 65-80 you have to add some range to be fair.
I picked up my GT PE in 14F weather and I don't think it's been higher than 45F since then here, and while I find I have plenty of range for my daily errands (about 120 miles on GOM at 80%) I was hoping for more, but knew I'd take a massive hit in winter from experience with our other EV. Guess I'll see in the spring how much it increases.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It may be doable but as my first long range trip I don’t think I would try it. I will drive to cape cod during the summer, would feel much more comfortable

thanks for the info, appreciated
Oh yeah. For a first road trip… good call. Pick something less stressful. And in better weather. My first road trip was from Clayton NY, to Newburgh. 50° and raining meant I was still playing the numbers game.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Battery design temp is 25C. As you deviate, both capacity and efficiency suffer. When you would actually notice much difference will vary quite a bit depending on many factors.
Sponsored