WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
This has only happened to me at airports as they are the only locations where my car will sit plugged in for long periods of time after fully charging. The first time it happened I was annoyed but now it doesn't bother me as long as I'm fully charged when they disconnect. Airport L2 EV charging almost guarantees that you will have most chargers occupied well after fully charging.

I still don't like someone disconnecting something from my car so I avoid edge spots when possible.
Sponsored

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
A lot of people assume if you are done charging proper procedure is that its fair play to unplug the car and move it over. My work even mandates this as policy. But if you weren’t done charging thats kinda crappy to do.
Not SOP with me. Touch my car and I call the police.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
In Arizona, it's illegal to park in a public EV charging spot if the vehicle is not actively charging.

I have no idea if that's the case in DC, but if it is, I would consider anonymously reporting people who ICE a parking spot, whether the vehicle is an EV or not.
Gotta find someone to actually enforce it though

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
If you don't want anyone to unplug you, move your car when it is fully charged. If your car is fully charged and you don't move it, you can't complain when someone "touches" your car.

It is common sense and common courtesy to share chargers and not hog them.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Part of the problem is that Ford does not lock the plug into the charging port when the car is locked.

This fact worries me if I'm using my TeslaTap adapter and someone decides they want it more than I do then just unplug me and walk away with a couple hundred bucks of hardware.
Problem with an internal lock is that someone might damage your car trying to force it out.

The suggested padlock would be better because it would visibly show it’s locked to anyone thinking about doing this.

But then you should be diligent about moving your car when charged, if you are going to make it impossible for someone to disconnect you.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
If you don't want anyone to unplug you, move your car when it is fully charged. If your car is fully charged and you don't move it, you can't complain when someone "touches" your car.

It is common sense and common courtesy to share chargers and not hog them.
I would unplug if I was done charging. Therefor there should be no reason to touch my car. It’s common courtesy, you don’t touch someone else’s property.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you are mostly or fully charged and there aren’t any other open/working chargers, getting unplugged is fair game. You would probably do the same thing in that situation if you needed to charge badly. Learn EV etiquette before you fly off the handle. The charging handle is not your property either.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would unplug if I was done charging. Therefor there should be no reason to touch my car. It’s common courtesy, you don’t touch someone else’s property.
Agree. Don't touch the car. The plug is fair game IMO. If it is in use, then leave it alone. If charging is complete then use it if you need it.

chuckles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 RWD Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I had to regularly park and charge in a public lot.

It helped to add a neon sticky note that I taped to the handle of the charger saying

PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG ME.
I will move my car as soon as I have enough charge to get me home.

If someone still unplugs, my phone notified me, and I dealt with it (either by coming back to the lot and finding another spot, or charging on the way home).

But you've got to let it go.

We're all just cogitating the cosmos with what amounts to barely electrified bowls of jello.

And some bowls aren't even half-full.

Karma will come for them.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
I had to regularly park and charge in a public lot.

It helped to add a neon sticky note that I taped to the handle of the charger saying

PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG ME.
I will move my car as soon as I have enough charge to get me home.

If someone still unplugs, my phone notified me, and I dealt with it (either by coming back to the lot and finding another spot, or charging on the way home).

But you've got to let it go.

We're all just cogitating the cosmos with what amounts to barely electrified bowls of jello.

And some bowls aren't even half-full.

Karma will come for them.
I have read all the comments from OP's post.....
I must agree with ALL whom have added to let it go and move on from the incident. Speaking on the side of LE, not worth to call to the Police over something as petty as this....No pun intended......
Trust me, I would be upset if someone unplugs my MME if it still needed a charge......However, I think OP's MME was there for a while (not mentioned).....

Because of what people have done with less of an offense, It's better to let it go and just be mindful at your next charging location and surroundings.......Just my 2 cents from seeing a lot of bad things from my LE experiences.....

I value my Ride so much, I would not leave it charging in public.......I have used Electrify America twice and both times, sat and waited for the charge...Less than 30 minutes each time......

@chuckles is 100% correct......karma will get that person if he/she offended you so much!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Not much more to the story than the title. A Tesla drove up to my car in a parking garage, parked next to me, and unplugged a L2 charger from my car and plugged it in his.

Thankfully the car is fine. I have his license plate written down... is there any way I could look up this individual's information? Would like to give him a phone call and explain to him to never do that again.
What to do?

If your car wasn’t fully charged, unplug him and plug back in.

If it was fully charged, you’re in the wrong in this situation.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Good luck with that. If they’ve not damaged your car, they’ve committed no crime. They might be wrong in removing charge, but that just means they’re jerks. Much like calling the police over electrons you don’t own.
Sponsored