Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Yes. This. My DH is almost too considerate. He would set his alarm. Then I would hear about what a pain it is to charge at a hotel because you can’t get a good night’s sleep.
Most hotels in my country have no clue about what etiquette to use. Typically i would consider a car still charging after 23.00 to be left there until the next morning. If it is fully charged before that i expect people to move it for another car. These are the rules i live by myself.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Most hotels in my country have no clue about what etiquette to use. Typically i would consider a car still charging after 23.00 to be left there until the next morning. If it is fully charged before that i expect people to move it for another car. These are the rules i live by myself.
At the few hotels I've charged at, they don't know anything about the chargers, what type they are, what kind of cars charge at them, etc. Totally clueless.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I think the airport example is an exception. It is not reasonable to expect someone who is getting on an airplane to move their car when it finishes charging. Airports just need to put in more chargers.
I agree, but I think Airports need to stop putting in Level 2 chargers, and use that money to install many more Level 1 chargers or 120V outlets. My local airport has 6 Level 2 Teslas chargers and 6 Level 2 J1772 chargers. All 12 of those plugs are usually full and all 12 cars are fully charged because they've been there for days while their owners are on a trip. Since the cars will be sitting for so long, Level 1 makes more sense. Install a 120V outlet at 100 parking spaces, and this problem goes away.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Not SOP with me. Touch my car and I call the police.
That's a good one. You could loot and burn businesses these days and the police will just watch and do nothing. You think they care that someone pulled the plug on your electric car?

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree, but I think Airports need to stop putting in Level 2 chargers, and use that money to install many more Level 1 chargers or 120V outlets. My local airport has 6 Level 2 Teslas chargers and 6 Level 2 J1772 chargers. All 12 of those plugs are usually full and all 12 cars are fully charged because they've been there for days while their owners are on a trip. Since the cars will be sitting for so long, Level 1 makes more sense. Install a 120V outlet at 100 parking spaces, and this problem goes away.
Airport should offer a charging service. So they move the car when it is full. Much more efficient.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Airport should offer a charging service. So they move the car when it is full. Much more efficient.
I want you to think about your idea again. Think of how much that would cost? How many people they need to hire? How much to charge customers? How many people would use that service? The OP has the right solution for airports.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I want you to think about your idea again. Think of how much that would cost? How many people they need to hire? How much to charge customers? How many people would use that service? The OP has the right solution for airports.
It should not be that of a big deal. A typical charge takes 3-4 hours ?
So this means you can charge 5-6 cars every day per charger.
Much more efficient usage of the availability.
Personally i would love to pay for the extra service.
In Amsterdam you already have the P1 or P2 availability, mostly used for business trips of a few days. It would be a good addition to the extra service there.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I always get angry when I get unplugged without permission, but I never let it escalate into a confrontation, especially when it’s a free charging station.

Twice I’ve parked next to cars that were charging (they got there first so they win) and have been pleasantly surprised to see they plugged me in when they left. Now I always look to see if an EV is parked near me and I just plug them in when I leave. it’s like a team sport for me now.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This is exactly the right solution. 120V outlets are so cheap. They could put them everywhere for less than a couple L2 chargers.

The problem will be leaving your own EVSE out that long. You can lock the charger in the frunk, but then you can't close the frunk past the first latch. If parked in a garage that would be fine, because it is out of the weather. I would be reluctant to leave my frunk partially unlatched in an open lot while away in a trip.

By the way, I have done that multiple times at a hotel I stay at regularly. I can still lock the car and while it would be a little easier to get into a partially latched frunk, I am not worried about it.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
This is exactly the right solution. 120V outlets are so cheap. They could put them everywhere for less than a couple L2 chargers.

The problem will be leaving your own EVSE out that long. You can lock the charger in the frunk, but then you can't close the frunk past the first latch. If parked in a garage that would be fine, because it is out of the weather. I would be reluctant to leave my frunk partially unlatched in an open lot while away in a trip.
I would be happy to rent a 120V EVSE from the airport parking authority for the duration. It would be pretty simple to set it up so that you pay a deposit equal to the replacement cost and get some portion of it back depending on how many days you used it.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I would be happy to rent a 120V EVSE from the airport parking authority for the duration. It would be pretty simple to set it up so that you pay a deposit equal to the replacement cost and get some portion of it back depending on how many days you used it.
Sounds like a lucrative business could open that sells refurbished EVSE's back to the airport after "collecting the abandoned hardware" on airport property. Added bonus the airport keeps the deposits since you lost the EVSE's...