kermitfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus RS
Country flag
I may be wrong, but isn't the button in the middle of the ring lights for locking/unlocking the charger cable?

4724770F-2B67-4FD6-ACA1-ED7261965218.jpeg

[/QUOTE
I think that could be a charge light to tell you when you are charging and how much charge you are at as a quick refference as on the flap there are pictures indicatoring charge level I guessing red means near flat, blue means half way,Blue flashing fully charged

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I am pretty sure it does means when you unlock the car it unlocks the charger as the locking system is probaly connect to the central locking of the car by some means
I agree completely. I hope the lock also disengages when charging is complete.

Reactions: DBC

kermitfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus RS
Country flag
That is what mine looks like.....however it's inside the car. That is a more convenient location for it though. Still might require the doors to be unlocked in order to unlock the charging connector.....??
I think you would need to unlock the doors to unlock the charger other wise some one could just un plug your car and charge their car or just nick the charger cable

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I think that could be a charge light to tell you when you are charging and how much charge you are at as a quick refference as on the flap there are pictures indicatoring charge level I guessing red means near flat, blue means half way,Blue flashing fully charged
I was referring to the circle inside the light ring that seems to be a lock icon with a power cord coming out of it. I would think that's a means of lock/unlocking the charge port. Hopefully if you have your phone/keyfob on you - you could press that to lock/unlock the chargeport.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think you would need to unlock the doors to unlock the charger other wise some one could just un plug your car and charge their car or just nick the charger cable
Many existing BEVs have an auto-lock on the DCFC. It stays locked until the vehicle is fully charged, then unlocks in case someone else wants to charge. That's what I'm hoping will be available on the Mustang Mach E.

Unlike the UK, public chargers have charging cables attached. We don't carry our own like you do.

Reactions: DBC

kermitfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus RS
Country flag
I agree completely. I hope the lock also disengages when charging is complete.
I not sure if it would as it would need the car to unlock the charger not the doors so that would require some extra electronics as there would have to be two seperate systems?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think there is a safety concern with DCFC. Unplugging while charging with DC current might be dangerous so locking the connector is probably a good idea. Why it stays locked after the charge event completes is a mystery to me. Seems like it should unlock after the session ends but I don't think that happens on my FFE. Maybe the MME will be different?

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I think there is a safety concern with DCFC. Unplugging while charging with DC current might be dangerous so locking the connector is probably a good idea. Why it stays locked after the charge event completes is a mystery to me. Seems like it should unlock after the session ends but I don't think that happens on my FFE. Maybe the MME will be different?
We live for danger! After all most of us are spending tens of thousands of dollars on cars we haven't even driven or ridden in!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It is possible that the "button" in the middle of the ring is just an indicatior showing if the cable is locked or not.

All DCFC's lock the cable to the car while charging (as mentioned). Typically to stop you either hit a "button" (on screen or otherwise) on the charger or interact inside the car to stop the charge (or use the car's app).

Even Level-1/Level-2 stops the charge before you unplug: There is a latch you grab in the handle to release the cable that also stops the signal to the car so that it stops charging before the cable breaks the connection.
Sponsored