Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
My dealer sent me this in the mail - I don't think there's anything new for us on this forum, but it's nice to see some of the "official" paperwork.
Ford Mustang Mach-E "What to Know Before You Go" Mach-E Brochure 20201026_091802
Ford Mustang Mach-E "What to Know Before You Go" Mach-E Brochure 20201026_091814

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Good info nonetheless.
Agreed, especially for those without BEV experience.

One interesting new item:
"When charging on DC power, the charger is always locked in place when the doors are locked."

I hope that it disengages when charging is complete. I've needed to unplug the DCFC from a car that had finished to charge mine. Staying locked while charging? Sure. Staying locked after? No.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Agreed, especially for those without BEV experience.

One interesting new item:
"When charging on DC power, the charger is always locked in place when the doors are locked."

I hope that it disengages when charging is complete. I've needed to unplug the DCFC from a car that had finished to charge mine. Staying locked while charging? Sure. Staying locked after? No.
that's an interesting question - it's not clear from the way it's phrased. I read it as implying that when done, it would unlock, because it wouldn't be "charging" at that point. But that could be reading too far into it.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Should unlock when PAAK or FOB approaches the car?

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Should unlock when PAAK or FOB approaches the car?
I don't think that addresses the concern raised by @ChasingCoral though - I read his concern as "someone is done charging but still holding the connector, so I can't connect and I'm stuck waiting for them to come out and unlock it."

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
I don't think that addresses the concern raised by @ChasingCoral though - I read his concern as "someone is done charging but still holding the connector, so I can't connect and I'm stuck waiting for them to come out and unlock it."
I think that is one of the nice things that Telsa enforces on their super chargers, idle time fees. It really makes the person focus on returning to their car in a timely manner if you add monetary punishment to letting it sit.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think that is one of the nice things that Telsa enforces on their super chargers, idle time fees. It really makes the person focus on returning to their car in a timely manner if you add monetary punishment to letting it sit.
pretty sure all the DCFC networks do it, too

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
pretty sure all the DCFC networks do it, too
Yep. Most do it. The Kona EV locks onto the cord until charging is done to prevent someone from randomly unplugging your car to start their own session. Once the vehicle stops charging, the cord lock is released.

When charging from AC, it also locks onto the plug but I can unlock it for 30 seconds by unlocking the car doors twice with the remote. This is good as it lets me quickly unplug and stop my AC charge session.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
Does an app tell you it is done charging in case you are away from the car?

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
I'm hoping that OTA updates won't require a WiFi connection! As a renter who plans to charge at work (or, you know, public places for now until we return to work given COVID), the only WiFi connection I would have for my car is tethering via my phone, so a requirement to download updates via WiFi would not be ideal.

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
I'm hoping that OTA updates won't require a WiFi connection! As a renter who plans to charge at work (or, you know, public places for now until we return to work given COVID), the only WiFi connection I would have for my car is tethering via my phone, so a requirement to download updates via WiFi would not be ideal.
I think that will be determined by the size of the OTA. Our experience with the model 3 is that sometimes a wifi connection is required due to the size of the update. But not all updates have needed wifi.

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
I think that will be determined by the size of the OTA. Our experience with the model 3 is that sometimes a wifi connection is required due to the size of the update. But not all updates have needed wifi.
I can certainly deal with that, so long as it doesn't have to download when the car is idle! Can tether on my phone while I'm charging or something.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My dealer sent me this in the mail - I don't think there's anything new for us on this forum, but it's nice to see some of the "official" paperwork.
Ford Mustang Mach-E "What to Know Before You Go" Mach-E Brochure 20201026_091814
I got a rock ?