What would happen if you shifted to R or P while moving?

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I can't say I'm a fan of the gear dial. For example, when I park at work, I have to back up to park. Spinning the dial from D to R is more prone to overspinning to P than with a tranditional system which may have means to help prevent a mistake. It got me to wondering, what would happen if the dial was accidentally spun to R or P while driving at speed? Does anybody know?
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
There is no transmission, so probably nothing.

But I’m not volunteering to find out.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nothing happens until you stop.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I can't say I'm a fan of the gear dial. For example, when I park at work, I have to back up to park. Spinning the dial from D to R is more prone to overspinning to P than with a tranditional system which may have means to help prevent a mistake. It got me to wondering, what would happen if the dial was accidentally spun to R or P while driving at speed? Does anybody know?
Don’t need to know what would happen; but don’t like the rotary knob. It’s a “ sporty car” have a gear shifter. It has nothing to do with me missing a place to rest my hand!!!

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I did this while turning around and shifted to reverse before car came to complete stop. Gave me a One Pedal fault and geartrain fault. Car went into to Turtle mode. Had to shut car completely down and took about 12 hours for the status to return to green.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I tried it in a loaner car (for science). At 30mph, I was able to shift to Neutral fine, but continuing to turn the shift dial counterclockwise did not put it into Reverse or Park. It's probably locked out over a certain speed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I tried it in a loaner car (for science). At 30mph, I was able to shift to Neutral fine, but continuing to turn the shift dial counterclockwise did not put it into Reverse or Park. It's probably locked out over a certain speed.
Correct - I accidentally shifted to Park while slowly creeping forward in my garage. “Park” did engage with a horrible clunk immediately stopping the car. No faults or apparent damage, but I’ll be sure to avoid doing it again.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
"why do you say that buying rentals/loaners is a bad idea?" ?

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
Thank you! This makes me feel better. I assumed since everything is fly-by-wire the possibility existed that software would overrule the dial, but I wanted to know for sure.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ok, I’ve wondered about this as well, and secretly hoped that Ford had at least written some code to prevent stupidity (or accidents) in this case, such as not allowing the car to go into park or reverse until it came to a full stop (no wheels rotating) and similarly not allowing the car to go out of reverse into any forward gear until all wheels come to a full stop.
Sponsored