What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The Tesla self driving is much like a kickstarter project. Fairly good chance you will get it, eventually, but it will be some time, and a certain amount of risk you will get nothing. Tesla will also do free hardware upgrades if it needs to add hardware to make it work. They have already upgraded some cars that needed it for the current level that paid for it, but new cars always get the latest hardware even if they don't pay for the option. Tesla has done a decent job of eventually doing what they set out to do, if not in the time frame they originally planned. They have also improve on what they can do, so they are making progress.

Not something I would pay that much for, especially before it's out of beta, but if I had more disposable income I might. I know some elderly that this has the potential to greatly assist on the freeway...
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Vaporware seems like it's not the right word. I've seen multiple Teslas drive themselves in parking lots. It's a useless party trick but it's definitely unique and indicative of where they're going. The cars aren't truly driving themselves on the open road yet but I've no doubt they'll get there someday. Personally, I've no interest in an autonomous car other than freeway driving but if others want to go that route, good on them.
Same here. The real application for fully autonomous is for AV taxi services. Not for personal car ownership.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
I'm very happy with my Tesla, and while I admire what they've done Ford as far as I'm concerned is the first big manufacturer to take things seriously. What I mean by that is they are releasing a real car, not some goofy 'compliance' or half assed car.
Well, it depends if you consider JLR to be a big manufacturer. Certainly not as big as Ford, but boy did they make a real car.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, it depends if you consider JLR to be a big manufacturer. Certainly not as big as Ford, but boy did they make a real car.
Like Tesla, they are not big. IMHO, need to be at least in the top 7 in unit sales to be 'big", and neither are in the top 10 (some would argue have to be in top 3 to be considered "big"). Tesla total monthly sales volume are already higher than JLR. Note, going by unit sales, not by gross income, so specializing in million dollar cars may be big by some measures, but unlikely to be "big" by production volume which can change some rankings.

Last edited:

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
(Worldwide JLR is a little higher than Tesla per year, but smaller in the US than Tesla per year)

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Some other thoughts on years of tesla watching, and a recent purchase. The Model Y when it comes out first quarter will skew to the 'Long Range' model. Odds are, if they do it like they did the 3 that will come out first, followed by the 'performance' and then the 'short range'. Things could be different they probably learned a lot from the 3 release and have done it in three markets now.

Other big things of the two I would expect the Model Y to be more efficient (range per watt). There really isn't much in the way of comparison on the Full Self Driving vs Ford CoPilot 2.0.

As near as I can tell, Ford CoPilot 2.0 = Autopilot on a Tesla. Full Self Driving is another $7k (today, maybe more any time now, as they add features they go up in price) but it is not full self driving yet. Depending on how they do it on the Y, Autopilot has a cost on some of the shorter range 3s (or it did, they've been a bit all over on this for a while as they figure out the market for it) My best suggestion right now to figure out a Y price is set up a Model 3 and add 10% :)

Right now the $7K gets you the 'have car drive to you in a parking lot(beta), and it will navigate when you are on a highway through interchanges, and then parallel and perpendicular parking, and it will lane change into an empty lane if someone is slower than your set speed. They state the next feature will be recognizing stop signs and stop lights and able to drive on navigation on city streets. There is no release date for this.

I personally own a Model X, but have not sprung for the $7k upgrade. It was $6k when I purchased in Oct 2019, so it does go up. They added the 'summon' in a parking lot thing the month I bought, and added $1k to the upgrade at the end of the month. It wasn't worth $7k to me.

As near as I can tell you'll need CoPilot 2.0 and then it looks like assist, and active park options in the Mach E. to get roughly what Autopilot has in the Tesla's. There is nothing committed that I've seen that would equal FSD.

That said, I think a lot of it between the Y and Mach E will be which styling choices you prefer as well. For me, there isn't much that I want in a Y as I hate the 'screen in center of dash' design. If the Y looked like my X with the two screens (like the Mach E) i probably would hesitate some. The efficiency is great and all, but if you're not driving hundreds of miles a week the gain you get over gas is already large enough.

There are other intangibles out there, like the time to repair a Tesla vs Ford. Odds are the Mach E body and if you get in a wreck might get fixed faster, again if parts are available. There are lots of stories out there with well documented long wait times. I don't think regular mainteance will matter that much between Ford vs Tesla, but repair times for body damage is longer on Tesla, and in some areas people have to fight with insurance. I have not experienced that myself so can't comment.

I'm very happy with my Tesla, and while I admire what they've done Ford as far as I'm concerned is the first big manufacturer to take things seriously. What I mean by that is they are releasing a real car, not some goofy 'compliance' or half assed car. My Bolt is great EV, but it's a POS car. The interior is cheap, the seats are uncomfortable for my fat butt, and it just looks cheap as hell inside. They didn't include adaptive cruse, or power seats, and made weird choices and blamed it on lame things like 'worried about battery life' as why no power seats. I'm not lazy manual adjusted seats are fine but I'm 5'10 and my wife is 5'4 and my 18 yo is 5'2, if they don't put the seat back i'm having a bad time. My Tesla (and every ford I owned since mid 2ks) knew what key was nearby and moved stuff, or had an 'easy entry' option which was even better.
I'm really excited to see the Mach E, and I hope it kicks the teeth in and is very successful. It'll stop all the nay sayers in the other manufacturers that are half assing it
It's good to meet another North Carolinian (I live in Cary) in this forum. After owning my Model S for 7 years, I have no complaint about the driving & user experience but maintenance and repair are another story particularly after the warranty expired. I only have 42K miles on but have to replace the windshield, 12v battery 3 times (1st one is under warranty), replace the TPMS and 3 sets of tires. Needless to say, Tesla charges $175/h labor. Early last year, I need to replace the rear bumper cover but no one in the area was certified so I spent 6 months waiting until Tesla Raleigh decided to do some minor repair.

As for the Model Y vs Mach E comparison, I agree with you on your assessment. No second screen, exterior and interior design are just average and front seats are still uncomfortable. I thought they hired the Volvo interior designer 2 years ago but the Model Y is just the copycat of Model 3. A little discouraging. I had to cancel my reservation because of that last year. No question, Tesla has the lead of battery technology, software advancement and charging infrastructure over other car manufacturers (I say 3-4 years ahead). I bet if Ford really commits to EVs, they can compete with Tesla. Hope their stock price is catching up with Tesla too.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
The Polestar 2 is a true hatchback; its rear slow behind the rear seat is steeper than that of the Mach-E, but there is no "sedan" low cut or ledge behind the back seats when the rear seats are folded down -- you have the full area behind the back seats for storage when the rear seats are down. The rear glass of the Polestar 2 opens fully (it's not a sedan-like trunk). The Polestar 2 also appears to have more ground clearance than a typical sedan, so it seems more crossover than sedan; I'd guess that the ground clerance is 6.5-7 inches.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? Polestar2_vs_MachE

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
The Polestar 2 is a true hatchback; its rear slow behind the rear seat is steeper than that of the Mach-E, but there is no "sedan" low cut or ledge behind the back seats when the rear seats are folded down -- you have the full area behind the back seats for storage when the rear seats are down. The rear glass of the Polestar 2 opens fully (it's not a sedan-like trunk). The Polestar 2 also appears to have more ground clearance than a typical sedan, so it seems more crossover than sedan; I'd guess that the ground clerance is 6.5-7 inches.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? Polestar2_vs_MachE
I think the picture is slightly deceiving. The Polestar 2 is actually a bit shorter at 181 inches. Ground clearance is 0.2 inches more (5.9 vs 5.7 inches).

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
I think the picture is slightly deceiving. The Polestar 2 is actually a bit shorter at 181 inches. Ground clearance is 0.2 inches more (5.9 vs 5.7 inches).
Yes, I had troubles scaling the photos, so they are not "to scale" (one vs. the other).

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The Mach E is purposely deceptive, and have seen statements from people who sat in the back that were surprised after seeing the car from the outside. The black in the rear is actually open on the inside and hides the true shape. The red is not where it ends, so it's designed to look like a sedan from the outside, but isn't. Color that black roof line on top in red and you'll get a better idea. Also watch some videos of the trunk with the seats folded up and down and you'll find your description match the Mach E.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1580537475014

Here is a shot that shows the back better. Just note that black roof is really part of the vehicle and is black just the hide it's true shape on the inside. You can see the angle on the Polestar 2 is not really steeper...

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would be nice here in Chicago, Il to have more incentives. All we get is higher registration fees and higher taxes.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am also concerned with the range of the Mach e. My C Max was expected to get 47/47/47, that's city, Highway and overall. Never happened, Ford sent us buyers a $500. check to compensate.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think the Mach E fast back design with taller head room is quite innovative and I like it. I don't believe Polestar 2 is an SUV but a sedan/hatchback with sedan high seats, correct?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag