What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
I think the Mach E fast back design with taller head room is quite innovative and I like it. I don't believe Polestar 2 is an SUV but a sedan/hatchback with sedan high seats, correct?
The Polestar 2 is a crossover hatchback with more of a sedan-like shape; it apparently has more ground clearance than a typical sedan, and the back seats can be folded down and cargo cover removed for a decent amount of cargo space. There is a true hatchback "door" at the rear that opens all the way to the roof (i.e., the rear glass is in the hatchback door -- unlike in a regular sedan where the rear glass does not move). The driver may sit a little lower in the Polestar 2 than in the Mach-E, but I'm not sure; I'm trying to get questions like this answered from Polestar.
Sponsored

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Polestar 2 is a crossover hatchback with more of a sedan-like shape; it apparently has more ground clearance than a typical sedan, and the back seats can be folded down and cargo cover removed for a decent amount of cargo space. There is a true hatchback "door" at the rear that opens all the way to the roof (i.e., the rear glass is in the hatchback door -- unlike in a regular sedan where the rear glass does not move). The driver may sit a little lower in the Polestar 2 than in the Mach-E, but I'm not sure; I'm trying to get questions like this answered from Polestar.
From review videos I've watched of people getting in and out, the Polestar sits like a sedan, not a crossover. The roofline is 5 inches lower than Mach E. Rear seat headroom on the Polestar is not good.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
From review videos I've watched of people getting in and out, the Polestar sits like a sedan, not a crossover. The roofline is 5 inches lower than Mach E. Rear seat headroom on the Polestar is not good.
But the Polestar 2 does have 0.2-0.6 inch higher ground clearance than the Mach-E (GT vs. standard), surprisingly.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
If the Mach E has a huge drop 1. Will work as it is found in other vehicles
2. Range will be like mpg many factors
3.already testedwith EA network and charges 150 kWh from press releases
4 unknown now
5. See #3

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
Well, it depends if you consider JLR to be a big manufacturer. Certainly not as big as Ford, but boy did they make a real car.
I had to google JLR, wasn't familiar with the abbreviation. If that's Jaguar/Land Rover then no, I don't consider them a big manufacturer any more. I couldn't tell you where the LR dealer is in my city, and until two months ago when they built a new dealership I didn't know where the Jag dealer was either. Maybe their popular in some areas, but other than the classic square box LR I don't see Jaguars anywhere.

I have not personally driven the I-Pace, but like the Audi Etron it fell in my 'overpriced under whelmed' category when selecting a vehicle. I also wasn't that fond of the photos I saw of it, looked too 'boring' to me. I am a 5 Time Audi owner, and was really pumped the E-Tron was coming, and then it came out as a 5 seat SUV at Model X three row price. We ended up with an X (two adults, four kids) for our family car.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I agree on the Kona, it has been on my radar. I really wanted to take a look at the Kia Soul EV this spring, but they postponed it until next spring, due to a shortage of components, or batteries. With the NJ rebate of $5K and no sales tax plus the fed rebate, it would be a really competent EV for a good price. Obviously, still has the econocar aesthetics.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I drove a Jaguar I-Pace just the other day because I was curious. The last BEV I drove was a 2013(ish?) Nissan Leaf, and that was just some in city stuff with my former partner's wife. The I-pace I drove has a LOT of bells and whistles...but the salesperson told me it has "Like 3000 torque, which is a lot, but they don't do horsepower on electric vehicles" (so he was clearly not well informed/trained). The acceleration was ok, but it didn't feel like it pulled THAT much harder than my Kia Stinger (once you get it past ~1500 RPM of course...twin scroll turbos take less time but still need to spool). The regenerative braking was kind of underwhelming...I was expecting more deceleration (and therefore more aggressive recharging) but it felt almost exactly like taking my foot off the gas in the Stinger without downshifting. I'm guessing that it was designed to feel like a "regular" driving experience (also, I didn't sit and fiddle with ALL of the settings, possible that there was a more aggressive regen available). I definitely think it looks better in person than in any photos due to all of the geometries and so forth, but they kinda dropped the ball on the frunk. You could maybe fit a medium sized laptop bag and a small gym bag up there if you're lucky...all in all, it's not terrible, but "not terrible" isn't what I want from a car that costs ~$80,000 US. For ~$20,000 LESS I can get a GT Mach-E Mustang that does 0-60 almost a full second faster, has a more usable frunk, looks arguably just as good/a little better/a little worse depending on your particular sense of car style (I prefer the look of the Ford)...Of course, YMMV, and I haven't driven the Mach-E yet to compare, but I was surprised how underwhelmed I felt after driving the Jaguar.

djsiry

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS, MINI Countryman ALL4
Country flag
If there is any additional dealer markup I will cancel

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1580537475014.png

Here is a shot that shows the back better. Just note that black roof is really part of the vehicle and is black just the hide it's true shape on the inside. You can see the angle on the Polestar 2 is not really steeper...
Easiest way to really grasp the full shape is to look at a profile of the black Mach-e...

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 2021-mach-e-gt

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I agree on the Kona, it has been on my radar.
How can anyone possibly compare the E to the Kona? To me, the Kona looks like a cheap utilitarian CUV vs a sporty somewhat upscale design of the GT (and others). Other than being "Electric", I don't see the Kona being in the same league of consideration at all.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
was initially excited to see the range increase on the model Y (have reservation on a Y, mach-e, and xc40 recharge), but after further consideration the Y drops to 3rd....while the range increase is great, from what i've researched online, tesla's range tends to push the limits (charging to 100%, ideal weather, etc) whereas other manufacturers EPA are much more conservative (ie. taycan, etron, etc). and all the knocks on quality, just don't want me to throw $50k+ on a car that's essentially a super hightech phone on wheels. and still can't get over the prius looks... i want to have a smile every time i walk up to the car. the tesla S or 3 look way nicer than the Y.

now hoping the quality of the ford and amenities are nice enough...it seems ideal balance of range, quality, features, etc. the volvo xc40 will have a great interior and also has wireless carplay. it's just a smaller car and definitely less range -- so great day-to-day, but i think i'll miss the range/size on road trips (which aren't that frequent -- so that's why it's still in the mix)

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If it doesn't get the promised range, I'm leaning towards a Niro E. My first choice had actually been the Volvo XC-40, but it looks like it will come in woefully short on range. My absolute minimum is 250 miles.
Sponsored