What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Actually, Patrick, the Biden/Harris platform and speeches say somewhat otherwise. No laws or budgets have been passed yet, true. However, a significant increase in business tax rates, 50% increase in long term cap gains taxes, and a small increase in the highest tax bracket are all looking pretty likely, although not clear when those proposals will pass nor when they might take effect. The programs that are already being debated include $2Trillion to $4Trillion infrastructure repairs (much is badly needed with bridges falling down), and the BidenCare program already talked about, though few details yet. I do not want to have discussion here about such politics (although I just did that, didn't I?), my main purpose was inquiry about any changes to the EV Tax Credit. I have seen one proposal by President-Elect Biden that he wants to not limit the credit to tax liability or $7500, whichever is less. He actually wants to provide a $7500 benefit regardless of actual tax due, and not limit to first 200,000 cars by a manufacturer. I think that those would be great changes. But so far, the other responses today (Thank you for your thoughts!) indicate there has been no talk of phasing out the EV Tax Credit with income. Yet! And, my wife has been a tax CPA for nearly 40 years and I have asked her the same questions. She has not heard anything yet either, but I know several people here are quite good at finding interesting details!
Somewhere else in this Forum someone had posted a link to the video plan, it would be 7500 without limit, for incomes under 250k.
Sponsored

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
This probably doesn't affect many here, but one consideration for me is the $7500 tax credit. Now that Dems have "gov't control", they plan to enact lots of costly programs and have already put us on notice that they intend to pay for those programs by taxing the "rich" (defined as income over $400k, including cap gains and dividends). As I said, I don't know how many on the forums here have income this high, but my wife is selling the business she built from scratch over the last 30 years, and is beginning retirement in 2021. Well deserved, but the sale involves reaping some cap gains that will put us over $400k for 2021. If this level of income eliminates the tax credit for us, I will not be buying the Mach E - very sad for me! Anyone hear anything yet about this? As I said, most on here probably do not have a worry about this, and those outside the US often do not have any tax credits at all, so have already reconciled to that fact. But those in the US who might be reaping some cap gains in the current churning stock market might also be affected.
Depending on age, cap gains might qualify for lower taxes and potentially not be treated as ordinary income. But I am not an accountant.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
As much as I don't really care for the Tesla Model Y's looks or its center screen setup, I have to admit that their charging network and speed are far superior to what the Mustang Mach-E can offer. It's really just the range parity between the Mach-E AWD ER and the Model Y Dual Motor that has me sticking with Ford. However, if Tesla comes out with a Model Y Dual Motor with say 350 miles or more range, I'm gonna have to cancel.

We'll see what the VW ID.4 has to offer.
Their persistent quality issues keep me from considering Tesla, particularly the MY. The latest problem is that heat pumps are failing in a matter of days after vehicle delivery and customers are unable to get them fixed for weeks (kind of a big deal in places like Michigan). By the time Elon learns the quality lesson that Detroit had to learn in the 1970s and 80s against the Japanese, other OEMs will have their own compelling products. Ford is rightly paying attention to those details.

Last edited:

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
For me the looks of a car can be a deal breaker... After the Model S Tesla didn't create any car that appealed to me, and the Model Y will be no exception. All other (crossover) SUV's are either to boring (Audi E-tron) or to expensive to consider. So, I expect to stick to the pony...
I drove an e-tron yesterday. Not the most exciting car, but the dashboard is even better than either MME or Tesla. And it's a proper crossover. I really enjoyed the drive, and it's a worthwhile alternative to the MME if my wait goes into late spring. I have a VIN#, but no news on build yet.

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Their persistent quality issues keep me from considering Tesla, particularly the MY. The latest problem is that heat pumps are failing in a matter of days after vehicle delivery and customers are unable to get them fixed for weeks (kind of s big deal in places like Michigan). By the time Elon learns the quality lesson that Detroit had to learn in the 1970s and 80s against the Japanese, other OEMs will have their own compelling products. Ford is rightly paying attention to those details.
Yep sister got her heat pump fixed this week. Picked it up Friday.

Engijms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD X on order
Country flag
An electrified Jeep Grand Cherokee would likely do it for me. Current model, not the new large box one coming. Loved my 2012 JGC. This will be my first Ford and the Mustang logo helped. I respect Musk but find all non S Teslas toyish and unsightly, and don't like minimalist interiors. Audi or Jag close but too much $s.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Their persistent quality issues keep me from considering Tesla, particularly the MY. The latest problem is that heat pumps are failing in a matter of days after vehicle delivery and customers are unable to get them fixed for weeks (kind of a big deal in places like Michigan). By the time Elon learns the quality lesson that Detroit had to learn in the 1970s and 80s against the Japanese, other OEMs will have their own compelling products. Ford is rightly paying attention to those details.
Yup. The Model Y isn't on my list because of their quality issues. The only thing that really competes with Mach-E to me is ID.4, but even then Mach-E is so much better looking.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Somewhere else in this Forum someone had posted a link to the video plan, it would be 7500 without limit, for incomes under 250k.
Very sad. My wife is selling her 30 year old business she started from nothing after we put ourselves through college over 40 years ago. We have always earned our own way. So, our income the next couple of years will be above $250k as we get ready for retirement. No EV Tax Credit for us, I guess. We are a couple of those undeserving and evil RICH types. Already paying over 40% of everything we earn to taxes. Our Fair Share! You know what my wife said yesterday after I told it had shipped out from the factory? Go ahead and get your Mach E anyway, tax credit or not! No wonder we have been married close to 50 years!!!

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
I'm not jealous, complaining that you might not get a tax break on an expensive car because your income places you in the top five percent of Americans in these times is uh, a bit much.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Very sad. My wife is selling her 30 year old business she started from nothing after we put ourselves through college over 40 years ago. We have always earned our own way. So, our income the next couple of years will be above $250k as we get ready for retirement. No EV Tax Credit for us, I guess. We are a couple of those undeserving and evil RICH types. Already paying over 40% of everything we earn to taxes. Our Fair Share! You know what my wife said yesterday after I told it had shipped out from the factory? Go ahead and get your Mach E anyway, tax credit or not! No wonder we have been married close to 50 years!!!
I would say there is definitely a grey area where people who are doing well for themselves but don't have gold toilets get punished a bit disproportionately. It still has everything to do with the uber rich (or the legislators payed by the uber rich) creating the policy.

My brother fits into this category. Then again he lives in a beautiful house, stays the weekends in his $100000 fifth wheel at the lake where his boys enjoy their $200000 boat. Long story short...I've never heard him complain about his life or his taxes.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I'm not jealous, complaining that you might not get a tax break on an expensive car because your income places you in the top five percent of Americans in these times is uh, a bit much.
No no it’s not. If you read the list, it’s because they sold a business after building it for 40 years. It’s not a long term income stream.

SolarAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
If a vehicle with similar range and with enough features became available at dealers before Ford can deliver a Mach E, I would certainly give it a test drive. The biggest incentive to switch would be if it was comparable but also qualified for the $5000 federal rebate, unlike the Ford.
Sponsored