What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thanks, UW2, everyone needs one of those. What we really need to do is move out of California! 10% sales tax, 13% income tax, disappearing deductions, no state EV tax rebate for us, property tax is good, though. The thing is that we have family and friends here, built the house we live in with much of our own sweat and blood, raised our daughter here, held back fire and mudslides, designed it to exceed code for earthquake/fire/wind/energy. We will stick it out for our retirement. At least we are well above the sea level as it accelerates its rise over the next couple of decades! I suppose I could stop complaining about taxes, though. We have built a pretty good life for ourselves. And, just think about how much better it will be driving through the mountains and along the ocean in our Rapid Red California Route 1!!
On the plus side, as you mention our property taxes are low, and extremely low if you have held your property for a long time. So bad place to be during income earning years, very good place to be in non-income-earning years as a long-term homeowner.
Sponsored

SolarAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
Then try the Kia Niro EV SX here in Canada, a bit smaller, more range , excellent review, only FWD, I had ordered one last summer but I've change to the Mach-E to have AWD, so even that I was loosing the $5,000 federal incentive . Around $56,000 including delivery and prep charge. I've owned a Kia Sportage for almost 7 years now and no major issues so far, no rust and almost 120,000 km. If you have a small family might be ok for size. You don't have to wait for them anymore they are available from the dealer's lot, at least here in Quebec. There's also the Kona Electric but to small in the back, but they also have good reviews and less expensive.
We currently own both a Kia and a Hyundai and they have been good purchases. Unfortunately, Kia's policy is not to sell or service any EVs in Alberta. As for the Kona EV, I found the large center console interfered with driver comfort.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We currently own both a Kia and a Hyundai and they have been good purchases. Unfortunately, Kia's policy is not to sell or service any EVs in Alberta. As for the Kona EV, I found the large center console interfered with driver comfort.
Then you may want to have a look at the Chevrolet Bolt, they are likely to have the $5,000 federal grant I would think, but any EV's who do not have a version of a model under $45,000 will not get it. But unfortunately no EV in the price range of the MME have the $5K incentive. Maybe the VW ID4 will be price for that who knows or we might get a federal budget surprise. :rolleyes:

SolarAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
Then you may want to have a look at the Chevrolet Bolt, they are likely to have the $5,000 federal grant I would think, but any EV's who do not have a version of a model under $45,000 will not get it. But unfortunately no EV in the price range of the MME have the $5K incentive. Maybe the VW ID4 will be price for that who knows or we might get a federal budget surprise. :rolleyes:
Go Go Federal Budget!

bjmsam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Toyota Rav4 V6, '10 Infiniti G37xS, Mach-E GT reserved
Country flag
Carbonized Gray GT reserved, after multiple failures of the site to update my profile and charge my card (and I had to come to this thread to find the page, since on Ford.Com, the Mach-E is not listed in the "Electrics" section and a search on "mach-e" returns no results - brilliant!).

I am disappointed that nothing about towing capacity was mentioned during the reveal. If it's an SUV that can't pull a moderate load, then for the money, why not get a CPO Tesla with superior warranty?
Compelling alternatives I am considering while holding a GT reservation:

If the Mach-E is a proper SUV as advertised:
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
- 2022 Ford / Lincoln SUV based on Rivian
If the Mach-E is an SUV as advertised, then those of us who need to tow a trailer should be able to do so. In my case, 30-50 miles round trip is typical.
Today my wife and I test drove a Premium AWD at our local dealer. It seemed well built with reasonable performance (though we would expect the GT to be far more impressive from that perspective), and it was hard to resist the appeal of "shiny and new," but the dealer confirmed that neither a hitch nor a roof rack are available from Ford and that it is not rated to tow ("But let me show you the F-150 hybrid!"). MotorTrend was right. I suggested that Ford stop marketing the Mach-E as a Sport Utility Vehicle ("100% SUV") and am canceling our reservation for a refund.

The Mach-E seems like a reasonable choice for those who want a practical Mustang rather than need the features expected of an SUV. Many good alternatives will be available soon. The Kia EV6 looks rather compelling (0-60 in 3.5 sec, 3500 lbs towing); perhaps that will be a suitable replacement for our 2009 RAV4. Anyway, just figured I should follow up with what did make me cancel my Mach-E reservation and [wait to] buy something else.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
the dealer confirmed that neither a hitch nor a roof rack are available from Ford and that it is not rated to tow ("But let me show you the F-150 hybrid!"). MotorTrend was right. I suggested that Ford stop marketing the Mach-E as a Sport Utility Vehicle ("100% SUV") and am canceling our reservation for a refund.
The lack of towing capacity in North American Mach-e's has been well documented for quite some time. It should not have surprised anyone by this point. As for using any BEV as a towing platform, that's probably a bad idea in general. Range suffers tremendously. Most of us who want a hitch on the MME want it for bicycle carriers and not for actual towing. If that's what you want, there are aftermarket options.

I refer you to the following videos discussing towing with a Tesla MY as an example of the challenge of towing with a BEV. Good luck with your search.

and this one ...

In fact, there's a boatload of them all saying pretty much the same thing.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Today my wife and I test drove a Premium AWD at our local dealer. It seemed well built with reasonable performance (though we would expect the GT to be far more impressive from that perspective), and it was hard to resist the appeal of "shiny and new," but the dealer confirmed that neither a hitch nor a roof rack are available from Ford and that it is not rated to tow ("But let me show you the F-150 hybrid!"). MotorTrend was right. I suggested that Ford stop marketing the Mach-E as a Sport Utility Vehicle ("100% SUV") and am canceling our reservation for a refund.

The Mach-E seems like a reasonable choice for those who want a practical Mustang rather than need the features expected of an SUV. Many good alternatives will be available soon. The Kia EV6 looks rather compelling (0-60 in 3.5 sec, 3500 lbs towing); perhaps that will be a suitable replacement for our 2009 RAV4. Anyway, just figured I should follow up with what did make me cancel my Mach-E reservation and [wait to] buy something else.
As mentioned, towing in a BEV is generally not a good idea, but if it is local towing as opposed to road tripping you’d probably be fine knowing your range will drop like a rock.

If you do need to tow for long distances, maybe check out a plug-in hybrid like the 2021 Escape PHEV. That way you can be pretty much electric only for local driving and have a gas engine for the longer, towing trips.

I believe someone posted on here recently that the Mach-E’s Premium trim is equivalent to what Ford calls Titanium in other cars, and that is certainly available on the Escape PHEV.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker

If it is not delivered in the next 3 weeks I will cancel?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

If it is not delivered in the next 3 weeks I will cancel?
What's the shipping time for the EU now? Have any actually taken delivery yet? Or are the cars all still waiting to clear customs?

Living in the world's most isolated archipelago (Hawaii) shipping times are averaging about 10 weeks and change.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Pffff, there are about 40 cars delivered in the Netherlands, EU probably more, mostly Norway...

My car arrived in Antwerp Harbor 30 march and still no idea when it will be here, it is less than 200km away...there are cars being delivered build date way past mine

I am so fed up with it I give them a couple of weeks, I have written a legal letter if they can't deliver before 25 may I exercise my right of cancelling....

I'm sorry, it has taken all the fun out of spending 55.000 euro (66.000 us dollar for a SR RWD?)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pffff, there are about 40 cars delivered in the Netherlands, EU probably more, mostly Norway...

My car arrived in Antwerp Harbor 30 march and still no idea when it will be here, it is less than 200km away...there are cars being delivered build date way past mine

I am so fed up with it I give them a couple of weeks, I have written a legal letter if they can't deliver before 25 may I exercise my right of cancelling....

I'm sorry, it has taken all the fun out of spending 55.000 euro (66.000 us dollar for a SR RWD?)
Very understandable. I hope it all works out for the better.

bjmsam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Toyota Rav4 V6, '10 Infiniti G37xS, Mach-E GT reserved
Country flag
Apologies to anyone offended by my post. That certainly was not my intent. I quoted other threads where these limitations were discussed in hopes of keeping this one on topic. No need to rehash here. Meanwhile, curious to see how long it takes Ford to refund my deposit ("Typically, refunds will be received in 7-10 business days and will be credited to your original form of payment.")...

The lack of towing capacity in North American Mach-e's has been well documented for quite some time. It should not have surprised anyone by this point.
Nope, not a surprise to me given the aforementioned threads, but ultimately tipped the scale in favor of alternatives that do offer (Tesla Model Y Performance) or will offer (Kia EV6 GT, among many others coming soon) the utility I need in addition to the performance I want. The intent of this thread is to collect such feedback, so I provided it. YMMV

if it is local towing as opposed to road tripping you’d probably be fine
Yep, as quoted in my post, but even if aftermarket options become available, I am not willing to risk voiding the warranty of such an expensive vehicle by operating it in a manner not approved by the manufacturer, so decided to pursue alternatives.

Good luck!

Jim Guthry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
If the Macan EV was anywhere near realistic in the next 12 months with similar driving/interior of the Taycan I'd be getting that. That said, the GT will be fun and tide me over for the 3 years or so when I expect big leaps in new solid state battery tech for EVs.