What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
The fact that Ford will be automatically refunding that $500 to us in the Spring suggests to me that that's where the the whole process shifts to the dealers. Otherwise it would seem like the deposit would just be held and applied to customers following through with the actual purchase.
This is the part of the slide that caught my eye also. If they refund the initial $500 in the Spring, it only makes sense that they’re doing so because there‘s some other form of deposit at that time — either a non-refundable with Ford or a refundable or non-refundable with the dealer. Otherwise, why give back the $500 in the Spring?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
This is the part of the slide that caught my eye also. If they refund the initial $500 in the Spring, it only makes sense that they’re doing so because there‘s some other form of deposit at that time — either a non-refundable with Ford or a refundable or non-refundable with the dealer. Otherwise, why give back the $500 in the Spring?
Ford will refund your deposit when you place an order (or cancel your reservation). Ford is only holding the $500 to keep your place in line. Once an order is placed you are done with the reservation process. You will now be interacting with the dealer from this point forward in the process.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1579620666152

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ford will refund your deposit when you place an order (or cancel your reservation). Ford is only holding the $500 to keep your place in line. Once an order is placed you are done with the reservation process. You will now be interacting with the dealer from this point forward in the process.

1579620666152.png
As I understand it, the transition to dealer phase is also the point at which you can switch your dealer preference. Perhaps the dealer I chatted with was BS'ing me, but the sales manager of a non-preferred dealer said I could switch to his store from my first dealership choice in the Spring when things start firming up.

As for the $500, all it was meant to do was to give Corporate an accurate idea of who wants what, where and how many. Anybody could pony up $0-100 for a reservation but if you're gonna throw down $60k on a car, $500 is the minimum amount to separate the pretenders from the serious buyers.

On a separate note, there are hints that the Tesla Model Y's range and functionality are going to surpass the initially published specs.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I am a long time Tesla customers (Model S for 7 years). No question that Tesla EV is ahead of other auto companies, battery efficiency, OTA updates, vehicle performance, supercharger availability, etc. I reserved the Mach E because I like the exterior and interior design and will wait until the test drive to determine if Mach E is right for me. Ford seems to be serious about EV and make heavy investment competing and I like it. I hope my Ford dealer will not be the hindrance by jacking up prices and other nonsense or Model Y is my next EV.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am a long time Tesla customers (Model S for 7 years). No question that Tesla EV is ahead of other auto companies, battery efficiency, OTA updates, vehicle performance, supercharger availability, etc. I reserved the Mach E because I like the exterior and interior design and will wait until the test drive to determine if Mach E is right for me. Ford seems to be serious about EV and make heavy investment competing and I like it. I hope my Ford dealer will not be the hindrance by jacking up prices and other nonsense or Model Y is my next EV.
At this point my "Plan B" if anything happens to deter me from the Mach-e is the Volvo XC40 Recharge. Really liking what I see of that one. But there's less known about the exact price and trims and specs yet.

If fact it could even rise to my Plan A when those specifics are announced.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
At this point my "Plan B" if anything happens to deter me from the Mach-e is the Volvo XC40 Recharge. Really liking what I see of that one. But there's less known about the exact price and trims and specs yet.

If fact it could even rise to my Plan A when those specifics are announced.
dbsb3233, you may want to look into the Audi e-tron Q4 coming out 4Q20/1Q21 which has a very nice interior design. I'm excited at the upcoming compact EV SUV.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
dbsb3233, you may want to look into the Audi e-tron Q4 coming out 4Q20/1Q21 which has a very nice interior design. I'm excited at the upcoming compact EV SUV.
Thanks. That looks like a nice one too but from what I've read that's gonna be $70k+. That's getting up into the range that I just can't justify. It's already a shock to my system to consider spending $55k for any vehicle (which is really $45k after state+federal tax credits). The most I've ever paid for a vehicle is just over $30k (each of our two 2013 Escape Titaniums).

Somehow just seems wrong to spend as much on a car as I spent buying my first house. :eek:

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
As for the $500, all it was meant to do was to give Corporate an accurate idea of who wants what, where and how many. Anybody could pony up $0-100 for a reservation but if you're gonna throw down $60k on a car, $500 is the minimum amount to separate the pretenders from the serious buyers.
I picture 5 solid weeks of 8 hour meetings of Ford executives trying to figure out just how much to charge for the reservation, and whether to have a reservation system or not at all. $100 ... then we'll get non serious buyers, $1000 then we exclude serious buyers who just are not willing to part with that amount, but wait if we have a reservation system at all is that alienating our dealers ... etc. etc. etc. :)

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
NHTSA Safety Ratings.

Seems obvious that it will be on par with Model 3/Y, but having been hit twice and with a family - this matters more than anything else.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
This will not make me cancel my reserve for a mach e, but it could push it over the edge sooner if several other little things don't turn out perfect... namely the news today that Tesla can now sell in Michigan (as I am in Michigan) along with ability of creating subsidiary service centers. Previously Tesla was not a serious option for me, and still isn't yet, but if they open a nearby service center I could consider them. That said, it's still Ford to mess up for me.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That’s rather bold of you to say. Does anybody enjoy the process of buying a car through a traditional dealership?
It's hard to say because he doesn't proofread his words before hitting "post reply", but I think what he is saying is that you should embrace the anticipation of the process rather than getting upset about it. You can choose to think of it as a kid waiting for christmas and getting a chance now and then to peek into your parent's closet, or you could view it as a ridiculous lack of information from a company that is out to screw you. If your feelings on the matter are the latter, you should move on to the Tesla now rather than letting the frustrations/negativity build up over the next year.

As for Tesla, if you are not near one of their service centers you should really consider that properly, too. For all the negative practices in which many car dealers are known to engage, there is no substitute for having a local facility with the available parts, tools, and technicians to diagnose and fix issues promptly. I am only 10 miles from a store/service center so it didn't worry me when I was leaning toward getting a model 3 (prior to mach-e announcement), but the flaw in the Tesla model IS service.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
That’s rather bold of you to say. Does anybody enjoy the process of buying a car through a traditional dealership?
As long as it's a new car, I have enjoyed the process. Most of the dealers around me have 4.6/5 starts (with >100 reviews), and lowest is 4.2. Never get the hard sells or unwanted add ons, sometimes they try upsell but mostly I say no and they are fine with that and purchasing procedures and always come out under MSRP, but I don't try to low ball them with the deal invoice price.

Not sure what it is with all the dealer hate. I wonder if that varies by state?
Sponsored