What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
UPDATED: 4/16/2020 - I called my dealer today to discuss pricing and whether the dealership was going to uplift it. He said that it would not be allowed! He said that Ford was insisting that the Mach-E be treated like the current GT is treated for pricing. By that, he explained that he, as a dealer, can not change the pricing provided by Ford on the current GT. Hooray!!!!
That was one of the things I believe will have to happen, the selling price will have to be fixed to include the margins for the manufacturer and dealer. Especially with a new halo type vehicle, they don't want to add confusion to the sales process, if course they can still offer to sell those add ins that tend to get tacked on.
Sponsored

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
UPDATED: 4/16/2020 - I called my dealer today to discuss pricing and whether the dealership was going to uplift it. He said that it would not be allowed! He said that Ford was insisting that the Mach-E be treated like the current GT is treated for pricing. By that, he explained that he, as a dealer, can not change the pricing provided by Ford on the current GT. Hooray!!!!
I’d like to believe that, but I’d also like to see confirmation of that from our Ford insider here.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I’d like to believe that, but I’d also like to see confirmation of that from our Ford insider here.
The dealer model of selling vehicles is still how it works with the Mach-E. The manufacturer can suggest a price but each individual dealer can negotiate what the final selling price to the customer will be. It could be that HopefulAl's dealer has set their own store policy around the Mach-E to match the GT, but that does not apply to all dealers.

The dealer bulletin announcing the unique e-Invoice for the Mach-E (MSRP = dealer invoice) was very specific about 2 points.

1. The dealers may not ADVERTISE the Mach-E for less than MSRP

"Dealers may not advertise or promote the Mustang Mach-E at a price, payment, or offer that is derived from a starting price that is below MSRP, less available public incentives."

2. The dealers can SELL the Mach-E for what ever price they want.

"Despite the restriction on advertising, dealers can transact with the customer at any price they choose (at, above, or below MSRP)"

There is a whole thread around Additional Dealer Markup (ADM).
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/official-list-no-adm-mach-e-ford-dealers.95/

Last edited:

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks hybrid2bev, that's what I was looking for. I didn't want everyone to think that because one dealer said 'x' that all dealers were doing the same thing.

Marc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Pace
Country flag
Hi all,

Well the answer to this topic's question is finally answerred by me:

"If Ford forces me to sign a final contract without having published final specifications and/or allowing me to to test drive."

That's what's happening right now to me in The Netherlands. I'm cancelling my FE (reservation made in november!).

Marc

Mchaelme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree with others, no way will I sign a contract before having seen the final price, specs and being able to fully test drive a demo car. Failure of the above would mean i will be cancelling and getting my deposit refunded.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Marc, were you told that once you sign the contract you can no longer get your deposit back? If so I’d agree with your decision.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. That’s just nuts to have a customer 100% commit when you haven’t let him test drive the car or even sit in it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Marc, were you told that once you sign the contract you can no longer get your deposit back? If so I’d agree with your decision.
Same here. No way I'd risk actually losing any money (even a partial deposit) just to be able to get one of the first ones off the line. I'd just wait until I could get one normally (i.e. after they have one on the lot to test drive). Even though that may mean waiting another 5-6 months.

That's what I may do anyway (wait until 2021 or 2022 to buy), even though I'm not expecting the same "non-refundable" situation here in the US.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Hi all,

Well the answer to this topic's question is finally answerred by me:

"If Ford forces me to sign a final contract without having published final specifications and/or allowing me to to test drive."

That's what's happening right now to me in The Netherlands. I'm cancelling my FE (reservation made in november!).

Marc
I'm curious. Have you talked to other dealers? Trying to understand if this is really a Ford thing, or a crummy dealer.

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-PACE SE, x-Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV and x-Tesla S owner
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I cancelled one of the two I had on order last week. FYI, the $500 credit appeared quickly in my credit card account...probably 4 days later. So, that is good news.

I am still hopeful that Ford will not let us down on how they deliver this exciting new product. This is a big deal for them...a chance to get ahead of the pack. Everything has gone well up to now. I want to be a part of them "making it"; but if they drop back into "conventional car manufacturer/dealer" mode, then I will cancel my Infinite Blue Premium model too.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, what made you order 2?

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-PACE SE, x-Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV and x-Tesla S owner
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good question. I ordered the Premium (17,000) before they brought out the CA1 ($4K cheaper but missing things). I will be a RW LR guy. I ordered a CA1 (32,000) when I spotted its announcement. Two reasons: 1) I was unaware that we might be able to change our models on our initial orders; 2) I thought my wife might want to move to it from her Lexus 300H.

I think Ford is making a major mistake in not communicating EVERY MONTH with those of use who ordered their cars. The only info we have access to is the original announcement stuff or from press interviews the have given. So, we fill the vacuum...and potentially change our minds on taking their car.

I saw your I-Pace comments on reduced pricing. I was unaware of it and will check it out. I like the car. I just did not like the range. but will dig around on their new, longer, range.
Sponsored