What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That said, the GT will be fun and tide me over for the 3 years or so when I expect big leaps in new solid state battery tech for EVs.
Oh the humanity ?
Sponsored

Juan-Marco

First Name
Juan-Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Country flag
I cancelled my 1st edition after a test drive in the Polestar 2 and with no sign of a test drive available in a ME. Personally I prefer the look and build quality. Had nightmare getting my deposit back from Ford, looking forward to my P2 delivery in 2 weeks time.
Hi, was wondering if you received your Polestar yet and if you are happy with it?
I too cancelled my FE ME and awaiting P2 now, hoping for delivery within the month.
Never had the chance to test drive either car.
I cancelled because after 4 months of being built, car was still stuck in Mexico, ETA kept increasing by 6 week intervals and even now, days away from 5 months built, still reported to be in Mexico.
Ironically Covid outbreak delayed P2 delivery by 14 days, just happy it isn't up to the 12 weeks delay so far on the MME.
I'm doomed to wait for a car it seems.

FYI, this post is not intended to bash the MME or promote the P2, the question is what would make me cancel and buy something else?... simply the crazy waiting, in total silence and uncertainty.
If anyone from Ford just offered some understanding that I'm waiting on a very expensive car, and offered some communication when the ETA is moved, I'd still be waiting. I understand there are many moving parts, many unforeseen pandemic issues, but I cancelled because Ford decided to keep me in the dark.
When my P2 ETA was extended last week, Polestar dealership phoned me, apologized (even though it was not their fault really) and explained the reason, and in compensation dropped my already low 0.9% finance rate down to 0%.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hi, was wondering if you received your Polestar yet and if you are happy with it?
I too cancelled my FE ME and awaiting P2 now, hoping for delivery within the month.
Never had the chance to test drive either car.
I cancelled because after 4 months of being built, car was still stuck in Mexico, ETA kept increasing by 6 week intervals and even now, days away from 5 months built, still reported to be in Mexico.
Ironically Covid outbreak delayed P2 delivery by 14 days, just happy it isn't up to the 12 weeks delay so far on the MME.
I'm doomed to wait for a car it seems.

FYI, this post is not intended to bash the MME or promote the P2, the question is what would make me cancel and buy something else?... simply the crazy waiting, in total silence and uncertainty.
If anyone from Ford just offered some understanding that I'm waiting on a very expensive car, and offered some communication when the ETA is moved, I'd still be waiting. I understand there are many moving parts, many unforeseen pandemic issues, but I cancelled because Ford decided to keep me in the dark.
When my P2 ETA was extended last week, Polestar dealership phoned me, apologized (even though it was not their fault really) and explained the reason, and in compensation dropped my already low 0.9% finance rate down to 0%.
Yikes, that is pretty bad. I probably would've cancelled too with that history, although did you try social media? Many have had success going there to get responses, but I don't blame you for giving up on your wait.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I ordered an MME on 4/30 but it sounds like it's going to take at least 6 months or so. I guess I'm curious if this will be a 2022 model or what that looks like.

I'm still a little in my head interested in the Model 3, going to re-test drive that since I've decided on the MME just to confirm my decision. All the recent price increases though is souring that.

I admit I'm a little put off by the non-Tesla charging network, seems to be a very common complaint on this forum. But then on the other hand, for me it would only be for 200+ mile road trips, which I don't do that often, so is it really a big deal ?

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered an MME on 4/30 but it sounds like it's going to take at least 6 months or so. I guess I'm curious if this will be a 2022 model or what that looks like.

I'm still a little in my head interested in the Model 3, going to re-test drive that since I've decided on the MME just to confirm my decision. All the recent price increases though is souring that.

I admit I'm a little put off by the non-Tesla charging network, seems to be a very common complaint on this forum. But then on the other hand, for me it would only be for 200+ mile road trips, which I don't do that often, so is it really a big deal ?
I have both the Model Y LR with the acceleration boost and Model 3 Performance, so my Tesla opinion will differ significantly than most others you'll find on this forum.

The decision to go with Tesla was mostly based upon the acceleration performance. It's hard to beat how fast these cars are in their price brackets. Another reason, as you mentioned, is the charging network. In my area (Mid-Atlantic), they're typically every 15-20 miles along the major driving routes. Easy to get to, reliable, and fast. Park the car, plug it in, and you're charging in 10 seconds. Charge times are typically 15-22 minutes in Spring/Summer/Fall, 25-35 minutes in Winter. The non-Tesla charging network will eventually get better but it could take 2-4+ years, possibly longer. Another positive for the Tesla is the software and coding. Many of the initial issues have been worked out on the early Model S, X and 2018 Model 3. Ford is going to have both small and major software issues over the next few years. You can jump in a 2021 Model 3 or Y and not have to worry about the UI, the phone app, and other various aspects of the software.

Picked up this car a few weeks ago and wrapped it in Avery Dennison Gloss Rock Gray. Only 500 miles compared to 7000 miles on my Y. It's hard to decide which one to drive on a nice day. The Y is lowered with aftermarket wheels, so it handles amazing. The 3 handles pretty good on the stock Performance suspension. The straight line acceleration is just insane, 11.5 @ 117mph, 0-60 3.1s. Very few street cars can stay with it from a dig.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1620758784813

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I have both the Model Y LR with the acceleration boost and Model 3 Performance, so my Tesla opinion will differ significantly than most others you'll find on this forum.

The decision to go with Tesla was mostly based upon the acceleration performance. It's hard to beat how fast these cars are in their price brackets. Another reason, as you mentioned, is the charging network. In my area (Mid-Atlantic), they're typically every 15-20 miles along the major driving routes. Easy to get to, reliable, and fast. Park the car, plug it in, and you're charging in 10 seconds. Charge times are typically 15-22 minutes in Spring/Summer/Fall, 25-35 minutes in Winter. The non-Tesla charging network will eventually get better but it could take 2-4+ years, possibly longer. Another positive for the Tesla is the software and coding. Many of the initial issues have been worked out on the early Model S, X and 2018 Model 3. Ford is going to have both small and major software issues over the next few years. You can jump in a 2021 Model 3 or Y and not have to worry about the UI, the phone app, and other various aspects of the software.

Picked up this car a few weeks ago and wrapped it in Avery Dennison Gloss Rock Gray. Only 500 miles compared to 7000 miles on my Y. It's hard to decide which one to drive on a nice day. The Y is lowered with aftermarket wheels, so it handles amazing. The 3 handles pretty good on the stock Performance suspension. The straight line acceleration is just insane, 11.5 @ 117mph, 0-60 3.1s. Very few street cars can stay with it from a dig.
I definitely thought about the software, however since it's going to take so long to get my MME which will either be a 2022 or very late 2021 I think they'll have had some time to work out some of the kinks with updates.

I'm following the bugs on here and it seems like many of the software bugs aren't really big deals at this point.

For me it's a weird choice because I didn't like the Model Y at all, between the rear-window visibility and the ride quality those 2 alone make it a no-go for me. So I'm choosing between a sedan and a cross-over SUV.

The speed isn't a big deal for me, I know the Model 3 even LR is a bit faster, but 4.2 seconds v 4.8 seconds it really doesn't matter, both are pretty darn quick in any normal real world scenario.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I definitely thought about the software, however since it's going to take so long to get my MME which will either be a 2022 or very late 2021 I think they'll have had some time to work out some of the kinks with updates.

I'm following the bugs on here and it seems like many of the software bugs aren't really big deals at this point.

For me it's a weird choice because I didn't like the Model Y at all, between the rear-window visibility and the ride quality those 2 alone make it a no-go for me. So I'm choosing between a sedan and a cross-over SUV.

The speed isn't a big deal for me, I know the Model 3 even LR is a bit faster, but 4.2 seconds v 4.8 seconds it really doesn't matter, both are pretty darn quick in any normal real world scenario.
I have the Mountain Pass Performance adjustable coilovers and the Y rides much nicer than stock. It floats over the concrete joints on the highway. This is how the car should've been from the factory, unfortunately. The main reason I went with the adjustable coilovers was to lower the car to get rid of the wheel gap. The softer ride was an added benefit. I highly recommend it for any Y owner.

The visibility out the rear has never bugged me. I only run into issues with ultra small cars on my ass, mostly Miatas and Mini Coopers, but I can still see them from my side mirrors.

With the acceleration boost on the LR 3, you can get the 0-60 from 4.1 to about 3.5. Not bad for ~$49k for the car and another $2k for the acceleration boost. Not many cars under $55k can keep up with that.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1620760389278
Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1620760414431

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
If the Macan EV was anywhere near realistic in the next 12 months with similar driving/interior of the Taycan I'd be getting that. That said, the GT will be fun and tide me over for the 3 years or so when I expect big leaps in new solid state battery tech for EVs.
We ended up getting an Etron. The Mach E I had ordered wasn't going to arrive until July/August and my wife is going back to the office in June. I got a great price for her car back in November since she was working from home. If the Macan EV was available we would have jumped on that. After discounts the price for an etron premium plus was about 7k more than the Mach E extended AWD and the Audi dealer gave me 3k for for the trade (Audi S5) than the Ford dealer was going to.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag

Well I test drove a 2021 Model 3 today and was really impressed, I'm almost for sure now going to cancel my MME order and put in a Model 3 LR order.

I test-drove one back in 2020 but since then they've added the heated steering wheel which I really wanted, and updated the interior to where it's much nicer now, fixing some of my complaints about the Tesla. The center screen for MPH and such also really wasn't an issue as where I thought it was.

I think the ride quality really sold it though, pretty fresh off of my MME test drive the 3's suspension just seemed much better. I thought the MME felt heavy and bumpy a bit but after the 3 it really confirmed that it was.

As far as cargo space, I don't have exact specs but to me if you take into account the huge under-trunk space the 3 has which the MME doesn't, I would actually bet cargo room is very similar

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1620936489687
Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1620936501223

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well I test drove a 2021 Model 3 today and was really impressed, I'm almost for sure now going to cancel my MME order and put in a Model 3 LR order.

I test-drove one back in 2020 but since then they've added the heated steering wheel which I really wanted, and updated the interior to where it's much nicer now, fixing some of my complaints about the Tesla. The center screen for MPH and such also really wasn't an issue as where I thought it was.

I think the ride quality really sold it though, pretty fresh off of my MME test drive the 3's suspension just seemed much better. I thought the MME felt heavy and bumpy a bit but after the 3 it really confirmed that it was.

As far as cargo space, I don't have exact specs but to me if you take into account the huge under-trunk space the 3 has which the MME doesn't, I would actually bet cargo room is very similar

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? 1620936501223
Cool, get the car you like.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Weighing in as someone who hasn't even yet placed an order (well, I *did*, last fall, but my wife said we didn't need the car quite yet and I cancelled it), what might make me change my plan to order sometime in early 2022 would be if another choice offered me as much or more of the features I want from the Mach-E, with a design that I liked as much (or almost as much), with some additional compelling options, especially at a lower price. For me, in the U.S., only the Kia EV 6 has that potential right now.

kia-ev6-2021-002-min.png

I still don't like Teslas, the id.4 is too slow and uninteresting, the Ariya looks too bulky for my taste, and the Hyundai ioniq 5 is too funky and blocky. Kia, though, looks like it's aiming straight at the MME with the EV 6. Similar trim levels, similar shape, both a GT-Line (like the MME Premium) and GT version to be available, a good mix of physical and electronic controls (no big center screen but a decent-sized pair of displays), and with some additional features not (yet) available on the MME that are truly interesting, especially the 800-volt charging architecture, a heat pump, regen levels adjustable on the fly, and heated rear seats.

What we don't know yet is what the U.S.-specific offerings will be, their pricing, or when they will be available. I would not at all be surprised if Kia comes in 5% cheaper than Ford across the trim levels on a feature-comparable basis. Obviously, we also don't know the driving dynamics, but Kia has proven itself quite capable of designing engaging driving experiences (as with the Stinger).

Kia's U.S.-specific launch is on May 18th at 8 PM ET (5 PM Pacific). Ask me again after that. {Jonathan}

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
The Kia GT is the one I'm waiting to see. I don't see super fast and want something reliable.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
The Kia GT is the one I'm waiting to see. I don't see super fast and want something reliable.
Unfortunately the Kia GT will not turn up until 2022 :(. I am quite interested to see what the genesis GV60 derivative on the e-gmp platform ends up looking like and how it will differentiate from its Hyundai and Kia twins.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? kia-ev6-2021-002-mi
Ford Mustang Mach-E What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else? kia-ev6-2021-002-mi
Nice glad you got the car you like. But cargo is nowhere near the same. Mache is double the model 3. 15 cubic ft to 29.7 cubic feet.