What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As much as I don't really care for the Tesla Model Y's looks or its center screen setup, I have to admit that their charging network and speed are far superior to what the Mustang Mach-E can offer. It's really just the range parity between the Mach-E AWD ER and the Model Y Dual Motor that has me sticking with Ford. However, if Tesla comes out with a Model Y Dual Motor with say 350 miles or more range, I'm gonna have to cancel.

We'll see what the VW ID.4 has to offer.
Sponsored

schmluss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
As much as I don't really care for the Tesla Model Y's looks or its center screen setup, I have to admit that their charging network and speed are far superior to what the Mustang Mach-E can offer. It's really just the range parity between the Mach-E AWD ER and the Model Y Dual Motor that has me sticking with Ford. However, if Tesla comes out with a Model Y Dual Motor with say 350 miles or more range, I'm gonna have to cancel.

They are close. What made me reserve a Mach-E is the Ford brand (better quality, and dealer network) and the SR rear drive can get an upgraded sound system and other equipment such as an actual gauge cluster that you can’t get in the base Model Y or Model 3. Plus it will basically ge the same price as the base Model Y after the tax credit.

ordered Premuim SR rear wheel drive, Infinite Blue, light grey interior.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Pretty much anything else comparable besides a model Y will mean waiting for a 2022 model year or longer, or spending over $70k (and a fe mach e with 7500 tax credit is already over than I would like to spend at over 50k, so forget $70+k). Would have to be something with similar or better specs (probably need AWD, more cargo space, 0-60 under 6 seconds, 350+ range all under $50k) to wait an extra year for vaporware.

More likely would cancel if I can't get a test drive first, or it's not comfortable for my wife or myself. I test drove a mustang ~7 years ago, and just wasn't comfortable, the visibility was poor (seemed like a lot of blind spots, front window too short, vehicle too low, etc).

Marc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Pace
Country flag

For me the looks of a car can be a deal breaker... After the Model S Tesla didn't create any car that appealed to me, and the Model Y will be no exception. All other (crossover) SUV's are either to boring (Audi E-tron) or to expensive to consider. So, I expect to stick to the pony...

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
For me the looks of a car can be a deal breaker... After the Model S Tesla didn't create any car that appealed to me, and the Model Y will be no exception. All other (crossover) SUV's are either to boring (Audi E-tron) or to expensive to consider. So, I expect to stick to the pony...
I pretty much agree with all previous comments. I love the look. I think the price to value proposition with the Mach e is great. There are areas that I think are weaker (super charging network and several years of improvement) than the standard bearer Tesla, but they are not deal breakers. Ford will most certainly have learn from past Tesla flaws and will certain improve from its own flaws.

I won't let bad dealers dissuade me. I will just go to another. That said, I think the only thing that may sway my decision is if the approximate 270 mile range in the First Edition turns out to be 200 EPA miles. That would cause a credibility issue in my mind. I suspect Ford was far more conservative in their spec estimates and i REALLY hope so.

Marc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Pace
Country flag
That said, I think the only thing that may sway my decision is if the approximate 270 mile range in the First Edition turns out to be 200 EPA miles. That would cause a credibility issue in my mind. I suspect Ford was far more conservative in their spec estimates and i REALLY hope so.
If the 270miles (430km) range is realistic than I'm happy also, a 200miles (320km) range will make me to reconsider my choice and drive a few more years diesel....

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Of everything coming out, the Mach-E has the best looks, IMO. I do not like the interior of the 3/Y at all. There are a lot things going for the Y, but the current single screen, wood trim interior looks really cheap. I'm waiting to see more info on the ID.4 and on the XC40 Recharge. I love the look of the Volvo but they are not giving info and the range looks like it will be a killer. VW or Volvo could really surprise me and those would be my most likely cancel options right now.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
When it was announced that the Mach-E was eligible for A-Plan pricing I was locked in! No turning back.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
New Jersey might be instituting a $5,000 rebate on EV's with over 200 mile range and an MSRP of $55,000 or lower. The second eliminates all but the compliance cars, Tesla Model 3 and rear wheel drive Mach-Es. I would think most NJites would want all wheel drive which kicks the models up to $60K. I wrote my reps saying I think the $55,000 is too low. But, I think they don't want to reward the wealthy buying Taycans with State money. If I could get the Volvo recharge for less than $55K, and get the Fed & State rebate, that would be what I would get.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
i had a reservation on the volvo x40 recharge but canceled it....the range just seemed too low for the occasional LA to SF road trip we do, and compared to the competition.

if i'm honest with myself about how that only happens 3-4x/year and if i'm willing to charge often or just drive our ICE car, then the volvo undoubtedly has the nicer interior (between mach-e and Y) and would be more than fine as an in-town car.

it has apple carplay too although not sure it's as competitive with other tech as tesla or even ford. biggest disappointment was the range. if they could offer an ER version with 280-300 mile range and be in the same price ball park, we'd have a contender

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree. Volve website says 200+, so you are right, surprisingly short range for a 78 kWh battery. But, would be a really nice car otherwise.

MyPetSlug

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So, let's look at the competition. You have Model Y, Volvo XC40 Recharge, and Polestar 2 coming out in 2020.

So, what would it take for me to switch? If the range on the Mach E was an over estimate, and the the ER AWD range was more like 250, then I might have to wait till the Polestar 2 is available in my area. Could that be near the end of 2020? Or, if, combined with the Mach E's overestimate, if the XC40 Recharge's range is more like 260 EPA, rather than the 250 WLTP rumored now, that might make me switch as well.

Or, if Telsa delivers a battery breakthrough and the Model Y is delivered with near 400 mile range, even though I don't like the interior or exterior, I might have to bite.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
New Jersey might be instituting a $5,000 rebate on EV's with over 200 mile range and an MSRP of $55,000 or lower. The second eliminates all but the compliance cars, Tesla Model 3 and rear wheel drive Mach-Es. I would think most NJites would want all wheel drive which kicks the models up to $60K. I wrote my reps saying I think the $55,000 is too low. But, I think they don't want to reward the wealthy buying Taycans with State money. If I could get the Volvo recharge for less than $55K, and get the Fed & State rebate, that would be what I would get.
WOAH! What's your source on this, and more importantly what are the timelines for delivery and likelihood of passage? Will the "no sales tax" continue also?

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
WOAH! What's your source on this, and more importantly what are the timelines for delivery and likelihood of passage? Will the "no sales tax" continue also?
Saw it in a couple of locations. Has not been passed yet. Will only apply to sales after passage. I don't believe they are changing the sales tax exclusion. But, till finalized, I suppose all is in play. I wish they would raise or eliminate the max msrp.
Sponsored