What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

JSAlexVa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
What would make me cancel my MACH e reservation?
1. If the charging stations they use charge more that Tesla, ie more than $.28 per kWhr. Or if Ford refused to say how much the charge costs will be.
2..If the dealer I chose plays games with last minute add-on stuff for extra money, or attaches a front license plate mount against my explicit wishes, or is otherwise dishonest with me.
3. If they refuse me a test drive before payment.

Note that #2 and #3 could likely be circumvented by simply changing to a different dealer, but that could cause uncomfortable delay in delivery.
Regarding #1 - go to “A better route planner” on the web and plug in a route and change the cars. I did this for 5 different EVs and the cost comparison between the Tesla and Mach E was noticeable (Tesla much cheaper). Now the question is how often you go on those trips. If only a few times a year then might be a wash. Again the assumption is home charging is primary.
Sponsored

TOBG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My reasons are much like everyone else:

1 Battery range is way less than stated
2 Dealer adds additional charges that are way out of line (ADM)
3 Test drive is disappointing
4 I amd tall so the leg room must be at least that of the Mustang.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
What would make me cancel my MACH e reservation?
1. If the charging stations they use charge more that Tesla, ie more than $.28 per kWhr. Or if Ford refused to say how much the charge costs will be.
2..If the dealer I chose plays games with last minute add-on stuff for extra money, or attaches a front license plate mount against my explicit wishes, or is otherwise dishonest with me.
3. If they refuse me a test drive before payment.

Note that #2 and #3 could likely be circumvented by simply changing to a different dealer, but that could cause uncomfortable delay in delivery.
Isn't #2 (front license plate) required in California?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Regarding #1 - go to “A better route planner” on the web and plug in a route and change the cars. I did this for 5 different EVs and the cost comparison between the Tesla and Mach E was noticeable (Tesla much cheaper). Now the question is how often you go on those trips. If only a few times a year then might be a wash. Again the assumption is home charging is primary.
I saw the same thing and was deeply disappointed also, but then I noticed the rate that abetterrouteplanner was using to compute the cost was incorrect for the Standard Range (max 115kw). According to EA's website the max cost for 125kw and under is 70 cents/minute, but it was computing the SR at the 350kw rate of $1/minute. I'm not sure if it was also computing the time at 150kw, though.

Anyway, EA is a lot more than Tesla at the moment. Hopefully that improves with competition in the future.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Per minute billing should hopefully be banned quick fast and in a hurry. Gas pumps don't charge you based on how long you use the pump, you pay for the amount of fuel you take regardless of the pump speed. (This should encourage them to put fast/er chargers in place to maximize turnaround.) That said, if your car reaches 80/100/whatever percent and you don't vacate the space in a timely manner, I'd be fine with time based charges for THAT. (Especially if they could do something like they do with the tolls here in WA - take pictures of your plates and mail you the bill. Take that, ICE-ers.)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I saw the same thing and was deeply disappointed also, but then I noticed the rate that abetterrouteplanner was using to compute the cost was incorrect for the Standard Range (max 115kw). According to EA's website the max cost for 125kw and under is 70 cents/minute, but it was computing the SR at the 350kw rate of $1/minute. I'm not sure if it was also computing the time at 150kw, though.

Anyway, EA is a lot more than Tesla at the moment. Hopefully that improves with competition in the future.
Actually, the EA prices get much better if you are a Pass+ member (for a $4 a month fee)

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Per minute billing should hopefully be banned quick fast and in a hurry. Gas pumps don't charge you based on how long you use the pump, you pay for the amount of fuel you take regardless of the pump speed. (This should encourage them to put fast/er chargers in place to maximize turnaround.) That said, if your car reaches 80/100/whatever percent and you don't vacate the space in a timely manner, I'd be fine with time based charges for THAT. (Especially if they could do something like they do with the tolls here in WA - take pictures of your plates and mail you the bill. Take that, ICE-ers.)
It's not banned in California, it just has to be clearly itemized and displayed if they do it, and separated from the electricity, and all existing spots are grandfathered in for a long time.

Personally, per minute seems reasonable to me. Let competition in the market place work it out... Per minute encourages people to stop at the 80% where charging speed decreases significantly and let them make room for others. (Not that it matters much, but apparently the holiday season with more people making long trips many had to wait an extra 4 hours for spots to become available). It's less of an issue for gas stations as you can go from 0 to full much faster.

Deleted member 367

Isn't #2 (front license plate) required in California?
No. I believe the CA rule is that if the manufacturer does not build in a mount for the front license plate, the owner is not required to use a front license plate. This is obvious in several car brands. Even if the manufacturer supplies an add-on "adaptor" (Tesla does this for Model 3) you arn't required to use it. I personally know people of have used this adaptor and those who did not. Both legal.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
No. I believe the CA rule is that if the manufacturer does not build in a mount for the front license plate, the owner is not required to use a front license plate. This is obvious in several car brands. Even if the manufacturer supplies an add-on "adaptor" (Tesla does this for Model 3) you arn't required to use it. I personally know people of have used this adaptor and those who did not. Both legal.
California does require license plates on the back and the front of the car. https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/license-plates.php#General_Plate_Information

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Software is my biggest doubt- it’s the center piece of all EVs and if it doesn’t work seamlessly it’s like having an ICE with faulty engine. Tesla has a good track record there and the Y is my plan B.

Have you read about the issues E-Tron owners are having with the Audi app? It’s ridiculous..

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Software is my biggest doubt- it’s the center piece of all EVs and if it doesn’t work seamlessly it’s like having an ICE with faulty engine. Tesla has a good track record there and the Y is my plan B.
Ford's software prowess with the Mustang Mach-E is a huge question mark. Ford is really touting that big center screen but if it's mostly useless because Ford's software devs suck, then owners are going to be looking jealously over at Tesla.

Have you read about the issues E-Tron owners are having with the Audi app? It’s ridiculous..
No, i haven't. What's the word? I have heard Audi e-tron owners struggle with the charging port. It's out of control and has ruined a few road trips for e-tron owners.

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
MyFordMobile worked pretty good for the Focus Electric and the C-Max that I had.

You have to keep in mind that Ford uses AT&T for the car's cellular service (I saw somewhere in the fine print that the Mach-E will as well) and thus if AT&T doesn't have coverage somewhere it is likely the app won't be able to talk to the car at that spot.
Sponsored