What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone know whether that service is included, or whether we're stuck paying a monthly subscription fee?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think we'll find out that some of the services are free, some are extra.

In a few cases, Ford has provided a bit more detail. For instance, this is from the MME FAQ (note that Wi-Fi hotspot only refers to the ability to get Internet access to your own laptop/tablet/phone via the car's mobile connection):

11. Will I need to download the FordPassā„¢ App when I purchase Mustang Mach-E?

Yes. The FordPassā„¢ app is an essential tool for every owner of the Mustang Mach-E.ā“ FordPass(TM) will allow owners to monitor the vehicleā€™s charge status, locate and pay for charging, precondition the vehicle, use Phone as a Key, monitor EV Roadside Assistance and much more.āµ

Footnotes 4 and 5:

ā“ FordPass App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.

āµ FordPass Connect, the FordPass App., and FordPass Connect Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Service is now complimentary for remote features excluding Wi-Fi hotspot. Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features.

Also this FAQ item:

9. Where can I charge my car when Iā€™m not at home?

Ford will be providing owners two years of complimentary access to the FordPassTM Charging Networkā¹, the largest public charging network in North America with over 12,000 chargers and 35,000 plugĀ¹ā°, all accessible with the FordPassTM app and a single subscription.Ā¹Ā¹ This will include access to the Electrify America high-speed charging network. You also may have charging available at your place of work.

Footnotes 9 and 11:

ā¹ Starts with original vehicle sales date (after which, fees may apply).

Ā¹Ā¹ Subscription information will be available at a later date

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
100% the dealership experience. This purchase will be the most Iā€™ve ever spent, or ever intended to spend, on a vehicle. If the dealer tries to gouge me with additional fees or $ above msrp my family and I will hard pass and likely purchase a Tesla Model 3 with range >300 miles.

Bottom-line: Ford has a compelling EV in the Mach E but I hope they donā€™t overplay their hand or misunderstand their customer. Frankly, even the most die-hard Ford enthusiasts are taking a leap of faith that the company is going to get this right and commit long-term at the corporate and dealer level.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This looks like the key part:

"Connected Service is now complimentary for remote features excluding Wi-Fi hotspot."

Glad to see the basic function appears to be included. (I won't use the word "free" because it means we're just paying for it in the purchase price of the vehicle.) I wouldn't expect Wifi Hotspot to be included, but the basic vehicle-need services are good to have a dedicated cell connection instead of relying on home wifi or cell phone bluetooth.

TOBG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
100% the dealership experience. This purchase will be the most Iā€™ve ever spent, or ever intended to spend, on a vehicle. If the dealer tries to gouge me with additional fees or $ above msrp my family and I will hard pass and likely purchase a Tesla Model 3 with range >300 miles.

Bottom-line: Ford has a compelling EV in the Mach E but I hope they donā€™t overplay their hand or misunderstand their customer. Frankly, even the most die-hard Ford enthusiasts are taking a leap of faith that the company is going to get this right and commit long-term at the corporate and dealer level.
I agree with you. I will not buy the Mach E if my dealer attempts any ADM charges above MSRP. Having owned a Chevy Volt I was dismayed by its demise. I recognize it was a slow seller (a halo car) but GM never really marketed it at least here in the mid west. In the back of my mind I worry that Ford could do the same thing if the Mach E turns out is a slow seller. I really want it to succeed.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I agree with you. I will not buy the Mach E if my dealer attempts any ADM charges above MSRP. Having owned a Chevy Volt I was dismayed by its demise. I recognize it was a slow seller (a halo car) but GM never really marketed it at least here in the mid west. In the back of my mind I worry that Ford could do the same thing if the Mach E turns out is a slow seller. I really want it to succeed.
Local Chevy dealer just offered a lease on the 2020 Bolt EV for $199/mo. I was seriously tempted but decided to keep patient for the Mach-E. My chosen Ford dealer had better be aggressive in wanting my business. It's easy to spend my money on something else or nothing at all. I want the dealer to want my money more than I want to buy a Mach-E.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not worried about that with Ford and the Mach-e. 2020 is way different than 2011 in terms of battery capability, charging infrastructure, and the overall sales potential of EVs. Batteries have taken a quantum leap. Ford and many other manufacturers see that EVs will have a large customer market to complement their ICE offerings. 2-car households in the suburbs with one ICE and one BEV will be commonplace by the mid/late 2020's, IMO. Well beyond just the EV diehards.

millim

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964.5 Mustang, Audi A6, Volvo S90 T8
Country flag
I also have a Rivian R1S reservation (and Cybertruck). Iā€™m guessing the early R1S models will be well over the stated roughly $71k MSRP, and depending on how much over Iā€™d likely bow out and bail on the Rivian. If, on the other hand, itā€™s in the stated MSRP ballpark with only modest required options Iā€™d consider keeping it and punting my First Edition deposit.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Rivian's look really cool (other than the price). Especially the truck and all those ingenious features. They've done a great job of trying to appeal to mainstream truck buyers. Unlike Tesla. I'm still scratching my head at the bizarro design they chose for the Cybertruck. It's like they purposely tried to eliminate 95% of the truck-buying public as potential customers, relegating it to niche status right out of the box.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I own Tesla Model S for 7 years now. Put down deposit for Model Y but decided to cancel it due to lack of front display, dislike interior colors (only black or white) & design.

Mach E is a beautiful SUV and better looking than Model Y in my opinion. Interior design & colors are well coordinated so I put down the deposit for premium model. There are several SUV EV coming out this year & next. Audi e-tron Q4 is the one I like. I will wait until I can test drive Mach E to close the deal or wait until the Q4 come out.

There is no doubt that Tesla has 4-5 year lead on EV than everyone. Superchargers across US is plenty and well connected (adding more as I speak). Performance is rediculsly good. Driving Efficiency in terms of KW/mile is second to none due to the battery advancement (Mach E extended range vs Model Y, 98KW vs 80KW for the same range), over-the-air update for added features is advance. If Mach E is dull to drive after my test drive, I may go back to the Model Y.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

62Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag

Ford has very limited control over dealer behavior in this regard. The dealer associations in each state are very powerful (witness how successful they have been fighting Tesla's non dealer business model), and will scream bloody murder to protect their dealers versus consumer interest.

I know Ford is trying to control dealer price behavior with the way they are pricing the car to the dealers but ultimately the dealers can do what they wish ( again, witness the BS pricing seen on GT500's).

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Ford has very limited control over dealer behavior in this regard. The dealer associations in each state are very powerful (witness how successful they have been fighting Tesla's non dealer business model), and will scream bloody murder to protect their dealers versus consumer interest.

I know Ford is trying to control dealer price behavior with the way they are pricing the car to the dealers but ultimately the dealers can do what they wish ( again, witness the BS pricing seen on GT500's).
Yes, thatā€™s my understanding of the dynamic as well. Short-term greed is real and change is hard, but youā€™d think/hope the dealers would look around at the disrupters like Tesla and even Uber and realize itā€™s time to adapt. Look at how much Tesla Model 3 owners have been willing to overlook - poor build quality, poor paint jobs, etc. part of it is early adopter cache, but another big part I believe is the sales model and transparent pricing. Psychologically I want to be celebrating my Mach E purchase - heck, I even joined a forum to talk about it - instead Iā€™ll have to work it through a shalllow/archaic purchasing process that none of the players are enjoying. Ugh!
Sponsored