What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

bjmsam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Toyota Rav4 V6, '10 Infiniti G37xS, Mach-E GT reserved
Country flag
Compelling alternatives I am considering while holding a GT reservation:

If the Mach-E is a proper SUV as advertised:
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
- 2022 Ford / Lincoln SUV based on Rivian

If the Mach-E is a sporty crossover as indicated:
- 2019 Jaguar I-Pace brand new on clearance at up to $20k discount (before $7500 Federal tax credit!)
- 2016 / 2017 Tesla Model S P90D / 100D used with full 4yr / 50k miles warranty
- 2022? Mach-E Shelby?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blitz118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge ST
Country flag
I reserved the GT. I'm guessing the GT performance will be priced between 65K and 70K, and if it does not perform as advertised, then I think I will cancel my order. The GT should be able to outperform the Model Y and any comparable priced ICE vehicle. Ford seems to be dropping the ball on some of their recent vehicles, and I hope the Mach-E GT is not one of them.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Like other intelligent all-wheel-drive systems, the eAWD system in the Mach‑E helps provide excellent traction and handling. But eAWD is designed and tuned specifically for this all-electric vehicle. When the system determines AWD is not likely to be needed, it enters an efficiency mode that balances the torque split in a way that uses the least energy. The Mach‑E eAWD system is not mechanically coupled from front to rear, allowing the system to apply torque independently to the front and rear axles. The eAWD system can send up to 100 percent of torque to the front or rear axle, up to the capacity limit. eAWD balances torque from front to rear, which helps improve handling.
Yeah, I understand that... My point was the efficiency power curve on electric motors have a much wider range, and so they get away with a single gear ratio instead of the 4-7+ on a typical ICE. Because of this single gear ratio, the electric motors are tuned to get their best efficiency around 40mph, so on highway driving 75+ mph you don't get as good of range from the motor as you do going 40 mph. The system is tuned more for transaction and handling than cruising on one of the motors with a better gear ratio at high speed. Electric motors loose torque once they get past their optimal RPM, and as there is only one gear ratio (unlike the typical 4-7+ of an automatic), their not as efficient at faster speeds, which is also why for short drag race they are faster off the line, but for a longer race they don't do so well on the high end for top speed.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Compelling alternatives I am considering while holding a GT reservation:

If the Mach-E is a proper SUV as advertised:
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
- 2022 Ford / Lincoln SUV based on Rivian

If the Mach-E is a sporty crossover as indicated:
- 2019 Jaguar I-Pace brand new on clearance at up to $20k discount (before $7500 Federal tax credit!)
- 2016 / 2017 Tesla Model S P90D / 100D used with full 4yr / 50k miles warranty
- 2022? Mach-E Shelby?
The Mustang Mach-E is definitely just a sporty crossover with a potentially awesome drivetrain and an advertised range that will be the first to truly compete with Tesla...until Tesla surprises us with a 400mi Model Y.

@bjmsam, those are some good options! The RAV4 Prime has specs that are really just next level. I checked Jaguar I-PACE locally in my area and while there's a 2019 for $59k, you just get so much more for the money with a Mach-E. I do like the Model S but the 90kWh packs have some degradation/performance issues. I haven't seen a 100D that even comes close to $60k yet. Regardless, the S is a GIANT car and I don't really want to drive it in the city. A Shelby Mach-E GT will put a GT500 to shame.

The 2020 Bolt EV is having some very tempting deals right now. I talked to some dealers and was offered a 3 year lease deal for $199/mo with $2000 due at signing. I could get one to tide me over a few years to let things with the EV landscape settle out. We'll see.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
I checked Jaguar I-PACE locally in my area and while there's a 2019 for $59k, you just get so much more for the money with a Mach-E.
Well, it depends on whether you're more interested in a car's main architecture/design/capabilities or its "bells and whistles".

The I-pace is a car with an aluminum body and 50:50 weight distribution. It's the closest you'll get to a sports car's handling while sitting in a crossover.

Also, it has a bigger battery, more power and better performance than all Mach E variants minus the GT. But I don't think you'll be able to get the GT for 59K and it still won't have an aluminum body and probably the Jaguar's handling. It might have a quicker 0-60 but anyone can add more power to a car and make it go faster in a straight line. And also probably more extras but if that's what you're after, you can always get a Kia or Hyundai and get the same or more extras with money to spare.

That's not to say the Mach E won't be a great car, if I didn't think so I wouldn't have reserved one.

But that doesn't mean that the I-pace is not a fantastic car and at $59K, I think, a bargain. This is why I'm reeeaally torn between the two, especially if you take into account that the Jaguar is available right now.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Mach E supposedly handles well and doubt that the I-PACE can really be that much different given the good impressions of those few who have driven the Mach E, especially for day to day driving. Will be more interesting once production models are shipping and we here more independent hopefully unbiased reports....

That said, an aluminum body could certainly help it age better in colder climates where they put a lot of salt on the road...

For the price I think the Mach E is better for both main architecture/design/capabilities and its "bells and whistles". Both have pro/cons over the other in each of those areas.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You've heard/seen reviews from MME drivers not paid by Ford?
Yes, but they were not from professional reviewers, so I don't know how much experience they have in terms of other vehicles... a friend of a friend who had access to a prepod...

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd love to see them, regardless... If you can locate them again, please share.
Main one I am going by, I had was in person...

This video does talk briefly about handling, but not really compares vs ipace, but at least gives me the impression it will be good enough handling...

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One advantage of Mach E over IPACE is charging speed at DC fast chargers. 150 kW max rate for Mach E vs 100 kW for IPACE... Assuming charging at home most of the time it's probably not significant, but those times you are on the road it can mean 30 minutes vs 45 minutes at a charging station.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
One advantage of Mach E over IPACE is charging speed at DC fast chargers. 150 kW max rate for Mach E vs 100 kW for IPACE... Assuming charging at home most of the time it's probably not significant, but those times you are on the road it can mean 30 minutes vs 45 minutes at a charging station.
The I-PACE has a surprisingly fast charge time since its charge curve holds the 100 kilowatts for so long. It's about 45 minutes to go from 10% to 80%.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
The i-Pace 0-60 is 4.5s vs Mach E premium is 5.5s (both 4WD). i-Pace range is 234miles vs Mach E 270miles. I searched the inventory of my local Jaguar dealer, the lowest list price of 2019 model is 81K, 20K +/- to Mach E. This model is competing with Tesla Model X not Model Y or Mach E.
Sponsored