What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
How can anyone possibly compare the E to the Kona? To me, the Kona looks like a cheap utilitarian CUV vs a sporty somewhat upscale design of the GT (and others). Other than being "Electric", I don't see the Kona being in the same league of consideration at all.
I would somewhat agree that they are not exactly operating in the same market, though the Kona has a decent interior and specs . I am keeping my options open, as I am in New Jersey and trying to keep my MSRP under $55K so I can get the state $5K rebate. That puts me in the premium AWD with standard battery and a range of 210. For less money, I can get a decent car, maybe the Kona EV or Soul EV with good headroom and better range. I agree that if price is no object, the Kona/Soul don't compete. But, for me, price is always an object to be considered, anyway.
Sponsored

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
About the range: Having driven my Model S for 7 years, the range listed is just an estimate based on 55mph speed. There is no difference than the ICE car if you step on the accelerating/gas panel hard or drive more than 55mph, the stated range goes away. When I travel long distance, I rarely drive 55mph on interstate highway so 80% range calculation will be more accurate for route planning.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
About the range: Having driven my Model S for 7 years, the range listed is just an estimate based on 55mph speed. There is no difference than the ICE car if you step on the accelerating/gas panel hard or drive more than 55mph, the stated range goes away. When I travel long distance, I rarely drive 55mph on interstate highway so 80% range calculation will be more accurate for route planning.
How much range do you lose going faster? A good majority of my commute is interstate going 70 mph.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I say about 10-15% depending on my driving. If I take a long trip, I have to use the Tesla supercharger route which can be a longer distance than the Google map shows, I use 20%. Tesla is doing better now on their mapping route which includes the superchargers. I had a scare the first time I travel with the S. I hope Ford is more conservative on the Mach E range estimate that includes Electrify America DC chargers in the route.

Machemark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, Prius
Country flag
I'd cancel if there was a markup/price hike.

I'd cancel if the stats were worse.

I'm pre-ordering because the GT is supposed to be around 3.5 seconds 0-60 and I like the stock rims.

If there are too many things behind the "performance package" paywall I may back out.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I'm pre-ordering because the GT is supposed to be around 3.5 seconds 0-60 and I like the stock rims.

If there are too many things behind the "performance package" paywall I may back out.
I donā€™t believe the GT is supposed to be at 3.5 secs 0-60. That will be something behind the ā€œperformance packageā€ paywall. Without that package, Ford is claiming sub-4 secs (which I read as 3.9 or 3.8 at best).
Thatā€˜s close enough to 3.5 for most mortals... but just want to point out Ford isnā€™t claiming 3.5 without the performance package.

Machemark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, Prius
Country flag
I donā€™t believe the GT is supposed to be at 3.5 secs 0-60. That will be something behind the ā€œperformance packageā€ paywall. Without that package, Ford is claiming sub-4 secs (which I read as 3.9 or 3.8 at best).
Thatā€˜s close enough to 3.5 for most mortals... but just want to point out Ford isnā€™t claiming 3.5 without the performance package.

Honestly that is close enough. But to this day it isn't clear (to me) what will be included in a performance package.

Now the reservation page says under 4 seconds, when I could have sworn it was 3.5 (targeted) when I reserved.

Or maybe I was just blinded by excitement.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Honestly that is close enough. But to this day it isn't clear (to me) what will be included in a performance package.

Now the reservation page says under 4 seconds, when I could have sworn it was 3.5 (targeted) when I reserved.

Or maybe I was just blinded by excitement.
Brochure says "mid-3 seconds".

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
For me, the no comparison comes with the "soul" of the vehicle. Kona didn't start life as an EV, it's a pretty classic case of compliance car (not that they didn't nail it...it's probably the best of the compliances I've seen...). Some people probably love the styling of the Kona and are happy to have it in EV form. I respect that Ford is going all-in with its most iconic badging. I had a 2003 Mustang GT and absolutely LOVED it...but it's not comfortable for 5 people...which didn't stop 20-something year old me from cramming three friends in the back seat on a few occasions. Not every vehicle's styling/soul/DNA/whatever appeals to everyone, and so in my mind, there isn't really a comparison between the Kona, well executed compliance car though it may be, and the Mustang Mach-E which maintains some of that Mustang DNA while being built from the ground up to be an EV and nothing else.

YMMV. :)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
For me, the no comparison comes with the "soul" of the vehicle. Kona didn't start life as an EV, it's a pretty classic case of compliance car (not that they didn't nail it...it's probably the best of the compliances I've seen...). Some people probably love the styling of the Kona and are happy to have it in EV form. I respect that Ford is going all-in with its most iconic badging. I had a 2003 Mustang GT and absolutely LOVED it...but it's not comfortable for 5 people...which didn't stop 20-something year old me from cramming three friends in the back seat on a few occasions. Not every vehicle's styling/soul/DNA/whatever appeals to everyone, and so in my mind, there isn't really a comparison between the Kona, well executed compliance car though it may be, and the Mustang Mach-E which maintains some of that Mustang DNA while being built from the ground up to be an EV and nothing else.

YMMV. :)
One more item in the list:

10. Sexy? Nope

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer