What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

AWDriftEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (20) , Tesla Model Y (21)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I still own both a 2015 and 2020 (3 and S). My buddy has offered to buy my S, but Im debating selling it as I have modified it and it has a brand new motor.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
pretty much breaking down the Bev Crossover market.

You have the entry-level cheap ID4. Gets the job done.
You have the middle range, model y, mache.
Then you have your I-pace Etron and many others.
The value in the mache and model y for what you get for your money is why so many people give them the highest marks.

To each their own in what they choose.
You let out an entire BEV car class there, led by the Lotus Evija (pronounce it however you want)
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2020/7/the-eight-best-electric-supercars/

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
pretty much breaking down the Bev Crossover market.

You have the entry-level cheap ID4. Gets the job done.
You have the middle range, model y, mache.
Then you have your I-pace Etron and many others.
The value in the mache and model y for what you get for your money is why so many people give them the highest marks.

To each their own in what they choose.
I wouldn't categorize the Id4 in the cheap category, it is going to be a very strong competitor to the Model Y/Mach E. The interior of the ID4 is just as nice, and I think a lot of people will be willing to compromise the savings in price for the lower performance and slightly lower range. Cheap would be the upcoming Bolt EV, and the Hyundai Kona/Kia Nero

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I wouldn't categorize the Id4 in the cheap category, it is going to be a very strong competitor to the Model Y/Mach E. The interior of the ID4 is just as nice, and I think a lot of people will be willing to compromise the savings in price for the lower performance and slightly lower range. Cheap would be the upcoming Bolt EV, and the Hyundai Kona/Kia Nero
it is cheaper. and does not have the range or the 0 to 60. the interior is ok a lot of plastic nothing that costs a lot. Small screen. The engineers wanted to even build it with cheaper parts than they did.
It does not hold up to the mache and model y and that is fine as the price shows that.

Mchaelme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I cancelled my 1st edition after a test drive in the Polestar 2 and with no sign of a test drive available in a ME. Personally I prefer the look and build quality. Had nightmare getting my deposit back from Ford, looking forward to my P2 delivery in 2 weeks time.

AWDriftEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
As much as I don't really care for the Tesla Model Y's looks or its center screen setup, I have to admit that their charging network and speed are far superior to what the Mustang Mach-E can offer. It's really just the range parity between the Mach-E AWD ER and the Model Y Dual Motor that has me sticking with Ford. However, if Tesla comes out with a Model Y Dual Motor with say 350 miles or more range, I'm gonna have to cancel.

We'll see what the VW ID.4 has to offer.
I would check out the Outofspec youtube channel's 70 mph range tests before deciding that a Tesla is better than the other manufacturers for road trips. Tesla has the superior DC charging infrastructure, but most people charge at home and only rarely use public infrastructure.
I cancelled my 1st edition after a test drive in the Polestar 2 and with no sign of a test drive available in a ME. Personally I prefer the look and build quality. Had nightmare getting my deposit back from Ford, looking forward to my P2 delivery in 2 weeks time.
Ive seen a couple of those on the road here in Northern California. I like the look of them but I haven’t heard great things about the efficiency. Also in the US you are limited to Polestar dealers for service whereas in the UK you can utilise the existing Volvo network. Congrats on your new car as I am sure it will bring you joy on those country backroads.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tesla has the superior DC charging infrastructure, but most people charge at home and only rarely use public infrastructure.
The rarity of using the public infrastructure means that when I need to use it, it's because I have no other option (such as on a road trip) and thus why it's so vitally important.

AWDriftEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
It was a warranty repair. Early Model S's used a different designed motor that largely had a 30-60k mile life. The new ones are bulletproof.

AWDriftEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
The rarity of using the public infrastructure means that when I need to use it, it's because I have no other option (such as on a road trip) and thus why it's so vitally important.
You can definitely road trip any 200+ mile EV in the US using the Electrify America and EVgo network alone. Tesla's network is just more reliable, expansive, and easier to use. I use superchargers on my S because it costs me nothing (unlimited). I charge my 320+ mile model 3 at home and it has never touched a supercharger in 9 months of ownership.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
it is cheaper. and does not have the range or the 0 to 60. the interior is ok a lot of plastic nothing that costs a lot. Small screen. The engineers wanted to even build it with cheaper parts than they did.
It does not hold up to the mache and model y and that is fine as the price shows that.
Less expensive? Yes. Poorer build quality? I don't think so. It's a different kind of car aiming at a different kind of buyer, which is why I'm interested in it. The very things about the MME that most people here like are either turnoffs to me (styling, Mustang focus) or not of interest (performance, big screen). What keeps the MME in the running for me is the infotainment system, which is an area that the ID.4 still has problems. I've been happy with the shipping delays so that I can keep putting off having to decide! :p

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
there is a lot to gain. If people are not buying BEV then no one would make them. It's all about building enough of what people want but not going too far. To be last to the party also.

whatever ford engineer stated that please show me. That not why ford is making the mache. They could have made a cheap compliance car for that.

Mache, transit,f-150, and many more BEV coming in the next 5 years. Not doing it for compliance but for what the people are asking for. To sell more muscle cars lmao. What a silly statement.
It was the guy who heads the program trying to assuage anger speaking to owners of ICE Mustangs.
I believe in electrification and own two Chevy Volts. A phev makes a lot more sense than all electric vehicles environmentally. for battery power of one MME you could build 5 phevs and reduce CO2 a lot more. I do 80 of my mileage on electricity with a phev.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
It was the guy who heads the program trying to assuage anger speaking to owners of ICE Mustangs.
I believe in electrification and own two Chevy Volts. A phev makes a lot more sense than all electric vehicles environmentally. for battery power of one MME you could build 5 phevs and reduce CO2 a lot more. I do 80 of my mileage on electricity with a phev.
I do not agree. If not full bev, might as well do ICE. Have you seen this study?
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/m...tter-than-regular-internal-combustion-models/

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Less expensive? Yes. Poorer build quality? I don't think so. It's a different kind of car aiming at a different kind of buyer, which is why I'm interested in it. The very things about the MME that most people here like are either turnoffs to me (styling, Mustang focus) or not of interest (performance, big screen). What keeps the MME in the running for me is the infotainment system, which is an area that the ID.4 still has problems. I've been happy with the shipping delays so that I can keep putting off having to decide! :p
And that is why I put it in a different spot than the model y or mache. Words from VW's own mouth it's not comparable to the mache or model y. They want it to go against ice small crossovers.
It was built cheaper cost-wise to keep overhead costs low. Good little family BEV.
Sponsored