What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There is nothing to "hear." No proposals have been made. No budgets have been submitted. No "costly programs" have been planned. No notices given.
Actually, Patrick, the Biden/Harris platform and speeches say somewhat otherwise. No laws or budgets have been passed yet, true. However, a significant increase in business tax rates, 50% increase in long term cap gains taxes, and a small increase in the highest tax bracket are all looking pretty likely, although not clear when those proposals will pass nor when they might take effect. The programs that are already being debated include $2Trillion to $4Trillion infrastructure repairs (much is badly needed with bridges falling down), and the BidenCare program already talked about, though few details yet. I do not want to have discussion here about such politics (although I just did that, didn't I?), my main purpose was inquiry about any changes to the EV Tax Credit. I have seen one proposal by President-Elect Biden that he wants to not limit the credit to tax liability or $7500, whichever is less. He actually wants to provide a $7500 benefit regardless of actual tax due, and not limit to first 200,000 cars by a manufacturer. I think that those would be great changes. But so far, the other responses today (Thank you for your thoughts!) indicate there has been no talk of phasing out the EV Tax Credit with income. Yet! And, my wife has been a tax CPA for nearly 40 years and I have asked her the same questions. She has not heard anything yet either, but I know several people here are quite good at finding interesting details!
Sponsored

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
At this point, the terribleness of dealing with Ford/my dealership would make me cancel. I have a Premium reserved and did the Mach Drop. My dealership hasn't been able to provide me any information about either of those orders and its become a miracle if he returns my calls. The only reason I have a VIN on my premium is because of the work on this forum.

I've tried calling the Ford help number 5 times now and every time they insist I can't get a VIN for my Mach Drop and the one time I got my dealership on the phone he said he couldn't get me a VIN for either. This was last week, when I already had my Premium VIN and others were reporting Mach Drop VINs so I know this is wrong.

Before anyone says about just going in, I posted elsewhere I live in the city and have been avoiding public transit and do not own a car so I would have to pay a lyft or something to get this info which seems crazy to spend money just to hopefully get some info.

My premium per the tracker just went to Primary Status: In Production but I'd like to know where it, and my Mach Drop, are in production and if there are any ETAs for anything.

Just super frustrating and as much as I was happy with the online ordering would have loved to be able to change my dealership without worry about losing my spot in line.

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
If something comes out that is better and still quick but must have good styling. If solid state batteries in a car and come out in a year or less, I would cancel. If two years away, I can trade up if it's made well. I don't see anything coming out that quick. Oh, if I hear of lots of problems with the mme, then obviously I will cancel and look elsewhere.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
If something comes out that is better and still quick but must have good styling. If solid state batteries in a car and come out in a year or less, I would cancel. If two years away, I can trade up if it's made well. I don't see anything coming out that quick. Oh, if I hear of lots of problems with the mme, then obviously I will cancel and look elsewhere.
Agreed. In reality, I do not see any plausible reason to cancel. There is always a faster, longer, less expensive revolutionary breakthrough in the days/months/years ahead. If we stopped to get what we want every time we hear something is or might be coming down the pike, we will never get anything. I am confident there will be an EV with 500 miles, faster charging and with a great charging infrastructure 3 to 5 years out. By then, I will have enjoyed my MME and perhaps ready to upgrade to the latest and greatest. My two cents.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Actually, Patrick, the Biden/Harris platform and speeches say somewhat otherwise. No laws or budgets have been passed yet, true. However, a significant increase in business tax rates, 50% increase in long term cap gains taxes, and a small increase in the highest tax bracket are all looking pretty likely, although not clear when those proposals will pass nor when they might take effect. The programs that are already being debated include $2Trillion to $4Trillion infrastructure repairs (much is badly needed with bridges falling down), and the BidenCare program already talked about, though few details yet. I do not want to have discussion here about such politics (although I just did that, didn't I?), my main purpose was inquiry about any changes to the EV Tax Credit. I have seen one proposal by President-Elect Biden that he wants to not limit the credit to tax liability or $7500, whichever is less. He actually wants to provide a $7500 benefit regardless of actual tax due, and not limit to first 200,000 cars by a manufacturer. I think that those would be great changes. But so far, the other responses today (Thank you for your thoughts!) indicate there has been no talk of phasing out the EV Tax Credit with income. Yet! And, my wife has been a tax CPA for nearly 40 years and I have asked her the same questions. She has not heard anything yet either, but I know several people here are quite good at finding interesting details!
My observation is that it absolutely has to be capped based on number produced, since the point should be to encourage EV innovation, and not who can pump out the most number or mediocre EVs. As we’ve seen, the prices of EVs come down as the manufacturer’s tax credits disappear, so maintaining the tax credit past 200K would just be a sustained wealth transfer between taxpayers and EV manufacturers. I don’t think we need to incentivize EV sales when a certain manufacturer sells every single EV it can make, without a tax credit. People are happy to buy Tesla already, and have the incomes to do so. What may make more sense is targeting manufacturers to produce cars for the lower end market (and index the credit to the value of the vehicle).

Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
A snazzy new gm logo and maybe batteries made of what would appear to be the very same unobtanium found in the movie Avatar.

Ponypinoy

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
State Employee
Country flag
Now Tesla making the STD MY and price to add 3rd row is making me lean towards the MY. Until I drive the MME, I am still on the fence.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Now Tesla making the STD MY and price to add 3rd row is making me lean towards the MY. Until I drive the MME, I am still on the fence.
I'd also check out that third row in the MY first if you get a chance, it looks like the vehicle may be too small to comfortably fit a third row, even when taking into account the fact that third rows tend to already be aimed more towards kids.

At $3,000, that is also a very pricey third row option.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Tesla history suggests that as they get closer to "full self seating" the cost of that third row will go up to like $10,000 at some point, so get it now while it's still only $3,000.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
That is great. You can't even fit anyone bigger than a 7 year old in the third row of the larger Model X, so there is no way you will fit the in Model Y which is about a foot shorter. I’m not buying that coolaid. LOL

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
That is great. You can't even fit anyone bigger than a 7 year old in the third row of the larger Model X, so there is no way you will fit the in Model Y which is about a foot shorter. I’m not buying that coolaid. LOL
It is just another cash cow for Tesla.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I'd also check out that third row in the MY first if you get a chance, it looks like the vehicle may be too small to comfortably fit a third row, even when taking into account the fact that third rows tend to already be aimed more towards kids.

Indeed, if you need three rows, even for a short while, this is the wrong class of vehicle to be looking at, $3K or not. Wouldn’t dream of ever asking anyone to sit back there, I think this is one of those “we kept our word” type of things, like Ford delivering 3 cars in 2020.

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
For anyone questioning if the wait of MEE is worth it. Reporting in after one month and thousands miles with an e-tron, which I bought after tired of waiting for the delivery of my early reserved MEE:
-the importance of reliable, rapid charging speed is way undervalued character in the EVs. Everyone is looking at the range but charging speed is equally important. E-tron performs really well and my experience with EA chargers has been great so far
-range is over EPA on non-highway and on par with EPA estimate on highway (Florida weather)
-still love the super quiet ride. I often turn the music off just to enjoy the quietness of smooth Florida roads, even on highway
-no quality/build issues. Entertainment software could be better, it’s buggy. Wireless CarPlay performs well.

Katahn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(ordered) Premium 4X
Country flag
I ordered near the end of 2020, just before Christmas. If my order isn't going to get to me before mid-to-late 2021 I think I would cancel it and wait to get either the electric F-150 or the Rivian R1T. If Tesla gets their act together quality-wise I might consider the CT but I am not a fan of the fact that I'd need an adapter to use a non-Tesla charger.
Sponsored