West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
So I've been on the hunt for a MME for a few months now (I fully realize nowhere near as long as many of you, I was just a late adopter to catch wind of how cool these cars are) and being a Chevy / GM guy I've never owned a Ford. Then, because of the stop sale, then inventory shortages etc. etc. I wasn't able to order a 2022 model, and orders hadn't opened up for 2023 models at the time.

So I called every major dealer on the West coast trying to get on a list for a customer order that was released. Understanding I was most likely going to pay an ADM (not the point of this thread). Ultimately, a dealer about an hour away had a walk away order and called me from the list to ask if I wanted it ('22 Premium AWD, ER Battery, Space White, BC, glass roof etc - MSRP $58,595) for a $10k ADM. I decided to put a $1k deposit down to hold it as it was still on order, expected to arrive end of September (this was in early August) and keep looking while I waited.

Well time ticked on, and no availability of anything else has shown up, then the order banks for 2023 models opened and I ordered a GT exactly as I wanted it, figuring it'll be 8-12 months before I see it. Then I get the call from the dealership that my '22 order I took over is slated for delivery between 9/21-27, and I'm beyond excited!! I'll get the tax credit, and then drive it until my GT arrives, or potentially release the GT next year.

Anyways, fast forward until today, and I got an email from Ford that my '23 GT is slated to be built the week of November 7th. WAY earlier than I was expecting, which I'm guessing would get me delivery around late Q1 2023, but with no tax rebate (unless something happens there). Meanwhile the '22 I'm waiting on according to Ford chat doesn't seem to be leaving KS. It's been there for three weeks now. Then today (9/27 the end of my delivery window) I reach out to the dealer again to see about a status update and get told that it is now delayed until NOVEMBER 2nd!!! WTF???

So I'm obviously confused as to why it's going to sit there for basically another month with no further details. Then considering my '23 GT order is being built essentially the same week the '22 is to arrive, I'm wondering if I just walk away from the '22 and wait on the '23? I guess it all boils down to getting possession on the car in 2022 for the tax credit, and I'm guessing there is nearly zero chance of getting the GT this year, but at the same time I'm not sure it makes sense to take delivery on the '22 Premium just to trade it a month or so later. I dunno, I'm kinda just perplexed at the moment of what I should do having just gotten this news.

So what would you do? Keep waiting on delivery of the '22 Premium? Give up on that one, and wait on the '23 GT?

@Ford Motor Company if you have any additional details as to why this vehicle is sitting so long in KS, I would greatly appreciate them.
Sponsored

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Regardless, Ford is waiting on parts across the whole line. They have 45,000 vehicles sitting in parking lots just for the blue oval. And if you have to change, the resale has been more than you pay for them.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
First come, first bought.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First come, first bought.
Prob the most rationale way to approach it. Just stinks, I was really hoping to have a new car today. I should've known better than to expect things to be on time based on everything I've been reading on here.

Kalaua_Farms

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select RWD Standard, 2017 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Retired Hospice Executive
Country flag
So I've been on the hunt for a MME for a few months now (I fully realize nowhere near as long as many of you, I was just a late adopter to catch wind of how cool these cars are) and being a Chevy / GM guy I've never owned a Ford. Then, because of the stop sale, then inventory shortages etc. etc. I wasn't able to order a 2022 model, and orders hadn't opened up for 2023 models at the time.

So I called every major dealer on the West coast trying to get on a list for a customer order that was released. Understanding I was most likely going to pay an ADM (not the point of this thread). Ultimately, a dealer about an hour away had a walk away order and called me from the list to ask if I wanted it ('22 Premium AWD, ER Battery, Space White, BC, glass roof etc - MSRP $58,595) for a $10k ADM. I decided to put a $1k deposit down to hold it as it was still on order, expected to arrive end of September (this was in early August) and keep looking while I waited.

Well time ticked on, and no availability of anything else has shown up, then the order banks for 2023 models opened and I ordered a GT exactly as I wanted it, figuring it'll be 8-12 months before I see it. Then I get the call from the dealership that my '22 order I took over is slated for delivery between 9/21-27, and I'm beyond excited!! I'll get the tax credit, and then drive it until my GT arrives, or potentially release the GT next year.

Anyways, fast forward until today, and I got an email from Ford that my '23 GT is slated to be built the week of November 7th. WAY earlier than I was expecting, which I'm guessing would get me delivery around late Q1 2023, but with no tax rebate (unless something happens there). Meanwhile the '22 I'm waiting on according to Ford chat doesn't seem to be leaving KS. It's been there for three weeks now. Then today (9/27 the end of my delivery window) I reach out to the dealer again to see about a status update and get told that it is now delayed until NOVEMBER 2nd!!! WTF???

So I'm obviously confused as to why it's going to sit there for basically another month with no further details. Then considering my '23 GT order is being built essentially the same week the '22 is to arrive, I'm wondering if I just walk away from the '22 and wait on the '23? I guess it all boils down to getting possession on the car in 2022 for the tax credit, and I'm guessing there is nearly zero chance of getting the GT this year, but at the same time I'm not sure it makes sense to take delivery on the '22 Premium just to trade it a month or so later. I dunno, I'm kinda just perplexed at the moment of what I should do having just gotten this news.

So what would you do? Keep waiting on delivery of the '22 Premium? Give up on that one, and wait on the '23 GT?

@Ford Motor Company if you have any additional details as to why this vehicle is sitting so long in KS, I would greatly appreciate them.
Aloha,
A few ideas:
1. Assuming your finances are well in order to afford this decision, and thus, the final cost is within your capability, then a few questions need to be considered:
A. Will the 2023 also have a $10K ADM? if so, then the bird in the hand (2022 Premium ER AWD) is worth more, and if delivered by 12/31/2022, should indeed have a $7,500 Tax rebate.
B. If you have no burning preference of GT vs. Premium, then 2022 makes sense
C. The 2023 cars are reportedly will have a higher MSRP by several Thousand $$, thus 2022 makes more sense. And less than $7,500 tax credit.
D. The scarcity of the cars and inflation (or recession) will still linger through the next year, most likely, making today's money worth more than future money.

SO, If those statements make sense, go for the 2022 and keep the 2023 option in your back pocket, knowing that you can release it at no risk to either yourself OR the dealer in the future. You may love the Premium and it may serve your needs perfectly.

Here's a last quirky item: My wife hates white cars... we would not get it! LOL (Ice Blue Silver Metallic on some train in midwest, still needing to board a ship for a trip to paradise.)

Good luck

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Prob the most rationale way to approach it. Just stinks, I was really hoping to have a new car today. I should've known better than to expect things to be on time based on everything I've been reading on here.
My May 2021 took 50.4 weeks.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Aloha,
A few ideas:
1. Assuming your finances are well in order to afford this decision, and thus, the final cost is within your capability, then a few questions need to be considered:
A. Will the 2023 also have a $10K ADM? if so, then the bird in the hand (2022 Premium ER AWD) is worth more, and if delivered by 12/31/2022, should indeed have a $7,500 Tax rebate.
B. If you have no burning preference of GT vs. Premium, then 2022 makes sense
C. The 2023 cars are reportedly will have a higher MSRP by several Thousand $$, thus 2022 makes more sense. And less than $7,500 tax credit.
D. The scarcity of the cars and inflation (or recession) will still linger through the next year, most likely, making today's money worth more than future money.

SO, If those statements make sense, go for the 2022 and keep the 2023 option in your back pocket, knowing that you can release it at no risk to either yourself OR the dealer in the future. You may love the Premium and it may serve your needs perfectly.

Here's a last quirky item: My wife hates white cars... we would not get it! LOL (Ice Blue Silver Metallic on some train in midwest, still needing to board a ship for a trip to paradise.)

Good luck
Thanks for your response, to answer your questions.

a) The 2022 model with $10k ADM (putting it at $68,575 before TTL) will effectively be $61k before TTL once I get the tax credit.. Whereas the exact same Premium model in 2023 is $66k MSRP because of supply chain/inflation plus no tax credit, which is why I rationalized paying the ADM in '22 because it technically still saves me about $5k on the same configured vehicle plus I get to drive i now. However, because I was slated to take delivery on this Premium when order banks opened up for 2023 I ordered the GT model since I was going to have a '22 Premium no need to trade into a '23 with same features but with a price hike. No ADM on the GT.

b) I do like the styling of the GT front end, faux grille, and bolstered seats, plus of course the faster 0-60 but that really isn't that big of a deal to me. Mostly I ordered it with the color etc. I wanted whereas I took over the 22 Premium order and I still like the color just wasn't my first choice, more like second or third.

c) yeah money wise the '22 is the way to go. But really ONLY if I end up keeping it, which I most likely would. Unless trade in on a very lightly used '22 premium nets me enough on trade towards the GT to make the money make sense (ie negligible)

d) You are totally right. This is definitely more me venting /getting thoughts down on the forum type of post. The 2022 and just being freaking patient makes the most sense.

Thanks for your time again in responding!

MachE Mach

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I'm confused - why wouldn't there be a tax credit next year? Is it confirmed that the battery sourcing will disqualify it?

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm confused - why wouldn't there be a tax credit next year? Is it confirmed that the battery sourcing will disqualify it?
it boils down to we 100% know there is a tax credit in 2022. However, 2023 is in question for a variety of reasons, one of which is sourcing of battery materials.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I read your whole post in a Cartman voice channeling the BP CEO channeling Lebron James. I don't have anything else of value to add. 🤣

Ford Mustang Mach-E What would you do? what-should-i-do-the-coon

Kalaua_Farms

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select RWD Standard, 2017 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Retired Hospice Executive
Country flag
it boils down to we 100% know there is a tax credit in 2022. However, 2023 is in question for a variety of reasons, one of which is sourcing of battery materials.
It is also that the 200,000 Ford EV quota will be reached very soon, and that maximum credit may not go into next year. It might be less, but you need to consult a tax nerd (instead of a healthcare nerd) to determine that.

Duffer

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Escape SE 1967 Mustang
Country flag

I'm guessing that Ford orders are same as Tesla's. The more options you order the farther up the list you move. A GT is going to be near the top. Good luck.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
It is also that the 200,000 Ford EV quota will be reached very soon, and that maximum credit may not go into next year. It might be less, but you need to consult a tax nerd (instead of a healthcare nerd) to determine that.
The 200,000 limit is no longer a factor in 2023.

OT Ducati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red
Occupation
I Do Things
Country flag
Wow I got lucky... In May I looked my dealer's website and saw the red one coming told them I wanted it. The day it arrived it was mine. They said Mach-e wasn't a big mover.
Sponsored