JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Don't forget that a larger battery will, conceivably last longer because you won't have to charge it up as much (fewer charge cycles = less work on the battery = less degradation down the line).
Sponsored

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 BMW X1, '15 BMW 328d, '18 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If you are going to just use an EV for short trips around home, then why spend the extra cash for the Mach E, Tesla when the Bolt is a lot cheaper?
I'm looking for something sportier and more premium than a Bolt.

My commute is 50 miles round trip, and if we end up with a 2nd BEV then I might not be able to charge every night. For my purposes anything around 200 miles or so is sufficient with some buffer.

Our annual summer vacation to visit family is over 2400 miles round trip with the longest travel day 800 miles. I'm not doing that in a BEV yet. I don't think we could fit the whole family and all the luggage in the Mach-E anyway without a roof top cargo box which will probably drop range noticeably at 80 mph. Our 328d wagon takes about a 10% mileage hit on the highway with the cargo box clamped on. Maybe that's why the Mach-E doesn't have roof rails.

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 BMW X1, '15 BMW 328d, '18 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Don't forget that a larger battery will, conceivably last longer because you won't have to charge it up as much (fewer charge cycles = less work on the battery = less degradation down the line).
I've wondered if this is also true for those of us that enjoy "spirited" driving. If you plan to enjoy that torquey BEV acceleration goodness on a regular basis would the larger battery hold up a little better?

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm looking for something sportier and more premium than a Bolt.

My commute is 50 miles round trip, and if we end up with a 2nd BEV then I might not be able to charge every night. For my purposes anything around 200 miles or so is sufficient with some buffer.

Our annual summer vacation to visit family is over 2400 miles round trip with the longest travel day 800 miles. I'm not doing that in a BEV yet. I don't think we could fit the whole family and all the luggage in the Mach-E anyway without a roof top cargo box which will probably drop range noticeably at 80 mph. Our 328d wagon takes about a 10% mileage hit on the highway with the cargo box clamped on. Maybe that's why the Mach-E doesn't have roof rails.
2400 miles! You need a motorhome LOL.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I've wondered if this is also true for those of us that enjoy "spirited" driving. If you plan to enjoy that torquey BEV acceleration goodness on a regular basis would the larger battery hold up a little better?
Doesn't Ford's specs show the larger battery provides more power?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good point. But on the other hand, if it does need a new battery pack in 8 years or something, it could be a lot better and cheaper then. Probably not $5000 (the amount saved now), but maybe not a ton more. And that could go another decade.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
The one thing I'll point out is the cost of gas vs cost of charging is a bit skewed and that's the Kona's fault.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/351535/test-kia-niro-ev-150kw-fast-charge-station/ with some extensive details.

If they plugged into the 150KW station and were paying 150KW rates, they were paying $0.63 a minute to charge at 33KW (based on that link showing how the fastest they got was 77, and then it slowed way down to 33)

To add insult to injury, they charged >80%. above 80% all EVs slow *way* down. This is way bad on a per minute charging station, because your last 20% can take as long as the first 80%.

so I question the methodology a bit on the charging and their cost comparison to gas. Fast charging isn't inexpensive, but it's not an order of magnitude over gas like they show. Something was off.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
The one thing I'll point out is the cost of gas vs cost of charging is a bit skewed and that's the Kona's fault.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/351535/test-kia-niro-ev-150kw-fast-charge-station/ with some extensive details.

If they plugged into the 150KW station and were paying 150KW rates, they were paying $0.63 a minute to charge at 33KW (based on that link showing how the fastest they got was 77, and then it slowed way down to 33)

To add insult to injury, they charged >80%. above 80% all EVs slow *way* down. This is way bad on a per minute charging station, because your last 20% can take as long as the first 80%.

so I question the methodology a bit on the charging and their cost comparison to gas. Fast charging isn't inexpensive, but it's not an order of magnitude over gas like they show. Something was off.
They acknowledge all that at the very end with the "by just a little planning we could have saved a bit of money".

In addition, simply plugging into a 150kW station doesn't get you charged at the 150kW rate--the station measures what you're using and charges accordingly.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I dunno, my old back and bladder don't mind stopping every hour and a half or so. My wife and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip from NJ to Charleston SC and Atlanta next year, and for the hell of it I mapped it out with a mach E SR RWD. Not that it matters, but the trip is a combo cruise and visit to the georgia aquarium to swim with the whale sharks. In general I hate to drive more than 8 hours, so we're breaking up the NJ->Charleston and ATL->NJ legs with a hotel stop. We could do the NJ->Charleston in one day, but we'd have to stay somewhere in Charleston until the next afternoon when we can board the ship anyway.

Being the owner of two different electric vehicles now, what most people don' realize is that just slowing down 5mph on the interstate will increase your range by 10%. So you lose 5 minutes in an hour but add range that will actually decrease your total travel time on a long trip. The 2018 Bolt we had first could go almost 270 miles on a full charge at 55mph. At seventy mph on the interstate it dropped to around 220 miles range. If I am not mistaken all range calculations made by the govt and the companies are still at 55mph. Hangover from the 70's and 80's when the fuel conscious speed limit was 55mph. I could be wrong on this but I remember reading that somewhere recently.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
This is a really interesting article: They basically took a Hyundai Kona EV and a Hyundai Kona 1.6T on the same road trip comparing each.

Its not a short read but worth it...
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyu...ndai-kona-electric-vs-2020-hyundai-kona-1-6t/

Note their admission at the end, however: Had they done just a little bit of planning their EV trip would have been cheaper and less time consuming. An EV is a bit different from an ICE and thus you do have to plan a trip a little different from an ICE...
I have a mach e and a PHEV. I just use the latter for long trips. I think EVs only make sense if you don’t have to use it for long trips.

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Newbies to EV are going to be shocked by the cost to recharge during long distance travel. More L3 stations are needed and at a lower price.
As much press as EVs get, if you’re not really into cars you might not be aware of the current evolution in the auto industry. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to answer the question “so you don’t put any gas at all in it?” When I tell people I drive an EV.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
As much press as EVs get, if you’re not really into cars you might not be aware of the current evolution in the auto industry. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to answer the question “so you don’t put any gas at all in it?” When I tell people I drive an EV.
My then 92 year old father thought that current electric vehicles and the Mach-e were a real clever idea. “What will they think of next?” Was his comment. He still had visions of golf carts with lead acid batteries.
Sponsored