Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Open FordPass, tap the "..." in the lower right corner. Pick "Your Charge Station" from the menu, then tap "Settings".

What does it display for Max Charge Current?

I tried to check your DIP switches from the photo but it wasn't quite focused well enough for me to be confident in the settings.

The photo here shows the correct DIP switches for 48 amp charging (60 amp circuit breaker).

1618280011381.jpeg
It says 48A

I have all switches in 1, which is the way it was delivered. All 1 is a valid configuration for 48A per the installation manual, page 4

5D0B4CAC-C2E4-43D9-BB8A-F9DAE14E3AD2.jpeg
Sponsored

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Was the Ford Connected Charge Station ever taken off the stop ship? I know there was an issue with it, maybe it's related?

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-connected-charge-station-stop-sell-order.3586/

It says 48A

I have all switches in 1, which is the way it was delivered. All 1 is a valid configuration for 48A per the installation manual, page 4

Ford Mustang Mach-E What's Going on with My L2 Charger?! 5D0B4CAC-C2E4-43D9-BB8A-F9DAE14E3AD2
Also it looks like the DIP switches should be as first pointed out (1-0-0-0-0) and not all 1's as having D5 in 1 is "Invalid".

Last edited:

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Yep - I personally checked the DIP switches during installation.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What's Going on with My L2 Charger?! 5D0B4CAC-C2E4-43D9-BB8A-F9DAE14E3AD2
Also, what's that floating red wire that doesn't look like it's connected to anything on the bottom-left?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Was the Ford Connected Charge Station ever taken off the stop ship? I know there was an issue with it, maybe it's related?

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-connected-charge-station-stop-sell-order.3586/

Also it looks like the DIP switches should be as first pointed out (1-0-0-0-0) and not all 1's as having D5 in 1 is "Invalid".
Good point on D5. The wording is confusing: “1 Invalid, default 48A, 60A CB”. Since it came with all switches set to 1, I assumed that was “default” and left everything alone. I can always flip that switch to 0 before the next charge and see if that makes a difference. I’m surprised that it would report 48A in the app though.

Not sure if it was related to the “stop ship” with the FCCS. I asked Ford and never got a clear answer. They just told me they would tell me if they wanted me to return it.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Also, what's that floating red wire that doesn't look like it's connected to anything on the bottom-left?
Oh! That picture was taken midway through install. I’m pretty sure that is one of the wires from the panel that wasn’t yet connected.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Additional data: according to FordPass, Charging ended at 12:37 AM and the charge event was 67.63 kWh.
I think my next steps are going to be to:
1. Flip D5 from 1 to 0 as suggested
2. Carefully record the start time, range, and %charge remaining when I start the next charge event.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Additional data: according to FordPass, Charging ended at 12:37 AM and the charge event was 67.63 kWh.
I think my next steps are going to be to:
1. Flip D5 from 1 to 0 as suggested
2. Carefully record the start time, range, and %charge remaining when I start the next charge event.
If you can't get it figured out, it might be a good opportunity to just return the Ford charging station and pick up something like a ChargePoint. At least then you'll be able to see and graph the exact charging rate throughout a charging session.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you can't get it figured out, it might be a good opportunity to just return the Ford charging station and pick up something like a ChargePoint. At least then you'll be able to see and graph the exact charging rate throughout a charging session.
That is a last resort. I do not want to go through the hassle and expense of buying another charging station, having the electrician come out, remove the old station, install the new station, send the old station back to Ford, and then have the discussion of who is going to give me back my money? Kennedy Ford? Ford Motor Company? Webasto? Tesla? ?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Is it possible the app is wrong?
I’m sure it is possible that the app is wrong. I have no way to validate whether the app is right or wrong. I can only report what the app says. I suppose theoretically, I could get a clamp amp meter and see how much current is being pulled when the car is charging? Has anyone tried that?

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I’m sure it is possible that the app is wrong. I have no way to validate whether the app is right or wrong. I can only report what the app says. I suppose theoretically, I could get a clamp amp meter and see how much current is being pulled when the car is charging? Has anyone tried that?
I have a whole home meter and a Grizzl-e set to 32 A (7.68 kW) and it appears to abide by that if you factor in the house's baseline...

Ford Mustang Mach-E What's Going on with My L2 Charger?! Screenshot_20210413-150652_Tesla

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I have a 48A Ford Connected Charge Station. This afternoon, I plugged my car in when it was down to about 40% and about 96 miles of range. According to the app, it's been plugged in 7 hours, 37 minutes and added 90 miles. This seems very slow. Any thoughts on why? I thought with a 240V 48A charger, you were supposed to get roughly 30 miles per hour of charge?
Was it plugged and charging for over 7 hours? Or was it plugged in and charging for 3 hours, and the while still plugged in, no longer charging? Here is a screen shot from my ChargePoint app, As you can see, it shows plugged in for almost 20 hours, but the graph shows that charging took place only during the 1st hour.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What's Going on with My L2 Charger?! Screenshot_20210413-121603_ChargePoint

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
That is a last resort. I do not want to go through the hassle and expense of buying another charging station, having the electrician come out, remove the old station, install the new station, send the old station back to Ford, and then have the discussion of who is going to give me back my money? Kennedy Ford? Ford Motor Company? Webasto? Tesla? ?
I pulled my Ford charger off the wall (killed the breaker first), tossed it in a box and took it to my local dealer who supplied it to me. No questions asked, full refund. Kept the cable holder, it is nicer than the one my current charger came with.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I pulled my Ford charger off the wall (killed the breaker first), tossed it in a box and took it to my local dealer who supplied it to me. No questions asked, full refund. Kept the cable holder, it is nicer than the one my current charger came with.
Yeah, Ford will definitely take them back considering they can't even sell them right now. I thought I read somewhere that they'll even cover some amount of money for having an electrician remove it (if you don't feel comfortable with that sort of thing).

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah, Ford will definitely take them back considering they can't even sell them right now. I thought I read somewhere that they'll even cover some amount of money for having an electrician remove it (if you don't feel comfortable with that sort of thing).
Actually, I’d be ok pulling it off myself if I HAD to, and putting a non-conductive lockout on the breaker. I just don’t WANT to do any of this. I want it to just work (I should explain, I’m an Apple fanboy - I have zero interest in spending hours on end futzing around with this stuff. I do want to understand it, I just don’t want to have to troubleshoot and optimize it!)
Sponsored