What's The Best Electric Car? Engineer Explained (Youtube)

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Interesting. I agree that the MMe is not a perfect road-trip car for the reasons identified.

That said, I probably use 5% of my “car-time” on road trips and the rest as a daily driver/commuter (for which the MMe is well-suited).

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
His main issue with the non-Tesla cars is all about the charging networks, rather than just the cars. I can agree with that, but so far my DFDC charging experience has been just fine.

I cannot agree with his comment about the Mach E above 80% charge rate, to me this is a don't care on a road trip. Charge to 80% and move on down the road to the next charger.

TundraEV

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Very little desire to listen to yet another engineer was poetic and give arbitrary importance to one set of requirements over another. So of course flame away I am even commenting on this.

but…

The ? vast ? majority ? of ? miles ? are ? not ? accumulated ? from ? cross ? country ? road ? trips.

JFC.

I’m just jealous I can’t make half a living posting mediocre analyses to YouTube. That is really what this is about.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Well THIS engineer says that the best one is the one that fits YOUR lifestyle the best. Everyone is different.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The video is about road trips. A misleading title like most other videos for clicks. Yes, tesla and others fast charge faster.

I rather have the range. like he said his model 3 performance gets nowhere near 310.
Ford has time still to tweak the charge rate just like tesla did before.

In other words just a video of hot air.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
He owns a Model 3. He pays ZERO attention to the fact that all of the EPA ratings for the Teslas are bogus. A recent Car & Driver test found that Teslas got only 71-78% of their EPA ratings. The Mach-E got 93%. He picks-and-chooses only the stats that help Tesla. He gives no importance to appearance, thereby ignoring what just about everyone thinks...that Teslas are bland and boring-looking.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I agree with most of his points - except:
  • While Tesla works well because Tesla controls the whole ecosystem, that also means that Tesla can raise the supercharger prices any time they want and there's nothing a Tesla owner can do about it.
  • He also seems a little bit harsh on the new-to-the-EV sphere companies for not having a "complete" solution at product launch. He seems to forget how incomplete the Tesla supercharger availability was for a very long time (unless you lived in southern california), and the model 3 launch was "production hell" for almost a year before they got things straightened out and actually started finishing putting cars together completely

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Also, yes the title is misleading but the argument is valid. I love my Mach E but for long road tripping it really isn't as easy or fast as a LR Tesla. I can admit that, and am frankly concerned about my planned NJ to FL via ATL trip in late september. One of the key EA stops is a Target in Gainesville FL and 3 of the 4 chargers have been broken for almost 2 months. That's pretty crappy service.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I agree with most of his points - except:
  • While Tesla works well because Tesla controls the whole ecosystem, that also means that Tesla can raise the supercharger prices any time they want and there's nothing a Tesla owner can do about it.
  • He also seems a little bit harsh on the new-to-the-EV sphere companies for not having a "complete" solution at product launch. He seems to forget how incomplete the Tesla supercharger availability was for a very long time (unless you lived in southern california), and the model 3 launch was "production hell" for almost a year before they got things straightened out and actually started finishing putting cars together completely
I think the actual locations of the the non telsa chargers is getting there the problem is the actual number of charges at the locations when compared to tesla. However I also feel this is going to be one of those things that in time just turns into a myth that will get spouted for years to come long after that advantage has ceased to exist.

One thing ford does need to improve on is the DCFC curve, the battery buffer is so large it really should be similar to an audi e-tron that has a similar size buffer where it can charge at 150kw all the way to 80% no matter what state of charge you arrive at, either ford is being ultra conservative and paranoid about warranty claims or there is an underling technical issue :(, or they are just sandbagging with planned improvements that will be drip feed via OTA to keep the vehicle competitive.
Sponsored