What's the trick to get the pony puddle lights to come one?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Right...makes sense. So when the car is asleep and no connection exists, and we walk closer to the car with PAAK or fob, something has to wake up the car. I think if we press the fob buttons or some keys on the Ford Pass like unlock then that should in theory establish the connection and trigger the puddle lights. Will check this tomorrow.

Outside of this deliberate action on our part, proximity detection based puddle lights turning ON seems to not be a feature. It may appear that way sometimes but that is only because the car woke up by some means and established such a trigger and hence we feel its inconsistent. I don't seem to recollect reading anywhere that the MME is supposed to say I am ready based purely on proximity detection without action on our part. The PAAK distance guides then turn out to be distance guides to show when the activity from the phone will be recognized/reached by the vehicle.
This makes 100% sense. Plus im sure many are still playing with app so any interaction with the app would make the car react if it coincides with us approaching the car after.
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Just a theory, is it possible that if the car loses connection to your fob/phone or after 30mins an hour not using the car, the lights come on?
That is the case, as bluetooth cant establish connection beyond certain distance - I notice Bluetooth disconnected status often in FordPass. But when you get close to it it does not seem to establish that connection right away or quick enough but does so by the time you get t the door.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The fob would most likely interact differently than the phone. The fob has a much more limited range then your phone.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
That is not my experience. When I walk out to my car parked in the driveway the puddle lights come on for me without me doing anything - having the fob in my pocket is good enough.
If that is the case, something is working with your setup better than mine. But I have not tried with fob only phone. will have to check that.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
The fob would most likely interact differently than the phone. The fob has a much more limited range then your phone.
For sure - will check that out

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is the case, as bluetooth cant establish connection beyond certain distance - I notice Bluetooth disconnected status often in FordPass. But when you get close to it it does not seem to establish that connection right away or quick enough but does so by the time you get t the door.
So their is first the ack and the the response which could be measured by the latency to determine how close you are to the car.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If that is the case, something is working with your setup better than mine. But I have not tried with fob only phone. will have to check that.
Unfortunately PAAK isn't ready for primetime yet.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
That is not my experience. When I walk out to my car parked in the driveway the puddle lights come on for me without me doing anything - having the fob in my pocket is good enough.

I did it just now - with the fob in my pocket when I got within 10 feet of the car the running lights came on and I saw the puddle lights. The car has been sitting in the driveway since this morning, so definitely not "awake".
So my guess is you have not turned on the VEHICLE POWER DOWN TIMER in settings. Correct?

Musbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I test drove one a couple days ago. While they were making a copy of my driver's license, they handed me the key and I walked up to the car outside. I noticed that as I got closer, the car "woke up" and puddle light came on. I believe it was on until I opened the door.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Mine have never come on. Not even in pitch black. Vaporware I think. There is no setting for them either. So I'm calling Vaporware till I see them for myself. Then I'll become a believer.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Mine have never come on. Not even in pitch black. Vaporware I think. There is no setting for them either. So I'm calling Vaporware till I see them for myself. Then I'll become a believer.
Here is pic of mine in my garage. Works whether I approach with fob or phone. Does not seem to light again unless I leave range and return.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What's the trick to get the pony puddle lights to come one? Pony lamp - 1

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
pretty sure I left that at the default, which is on IIRC
That must be it as I have power down set to one of the options so it does power down and may then take time to wake up and hence I see it being intermittent.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I cannot get mine to recognize phone as key, even though it paired ok
Sponsored