What's the trick to get the pony puddle lights to come one?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So I just got Marlin back Friday evening.
The ponies are coming out to meet me very regularly, using fob out PAAK, both my phone and my wife’s. Also if I walk out with nothing and “wake” using keypad code.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What's the trick to get the pony puddle lights to come one? {filename}
Ford Mustang Mach-E What's the trick to get the pony puddle lights to come one? {filename}
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The ponies are coming out to meet me very regularly, using fob out PAAK, both my phone and my wife’s. Also if I walk out with nothing and “wake” using keypad code.

Your iphones work, but PAAK on android isn't fully baked yet. Using the fob with mirrors set to fold shows me the ponies all the time, too.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

Fob works every time... pony puddle came on in semi dark garage as I walked up. But I CANNOT get the MME to use Android as Key.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Fob works every time... pony puddle came on in semi dark garage as I walked up. But I CANNOT get the MME to use Android as Key.
you are not alone. Android PAAK doesn't work reliably yet. I feel like I've already said that 3 times in this thread.

OP
OP

Jblobner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
I'm surmising Ford wants to use the puddle lights when driver leaves vehicle after trip, say to go to a restaurant (remember those?) and comes back to "welcome" lighting. Lights only illuminate on return to vehicle and not when offboarding at destination. Pony will continue to be re-projected during repeated "walkings" out-of-range and returning until an unknown period of time has elapsed (30 min, 1hr, more?) After that time, puddle's will only come on if a Start/Stop has occurred. My guess is Ford was trying to avoid Welcome Lighting every time owner's walk near the car when a "trip" is not involved. [Example: You get home from a drive, park car, go inside, remember you need something in garage, go back, puddle lights come on, go back inside, remember something else you need, go right back to garage, puddle lights come on again, etc. Hour(s) go by, you go back to garage (with PAAK/FOB of course), no Welcome Lighting...even if you Unlock.]

BTW: VEHICLE POWER DOWN TIMER is on (30 minutes).
Well it appears that the pony lights work best with the key fob. Dealership said an update is in the works to make them more consistent with phone as a key.

QualicumBeach

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 1957 Chang Jiang, 2003 Indian Chief
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Week one with the grabber blue FE. Love the car. One day one the puddle lights worked, lit up as I approached the car. They have not not worked since. I checked the settings and the welcome lighting is toggled on. Any thoughts?
Same problem with mine, I saw the puddle lights once only when I approached the car in my garage.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Your iphones work, but PAAK on android isn't fully baked yet. Using the fob with mirrors set to fold shows me the ponies all the time, too.
My iPhone still is inconsistent with puddle lamps. Even when it’s in my hand. Car goes to sleep and does not wake up sometimes. Same with fob. Some times it shows snd sometimes does not. Not the end of the world though for me other than just trying of figure out why it works or why it does not

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Well it appears that the pony lights work best with the key fob. Dealership said an update is in the works to make them more consistent with phone as a key.
That is the case for me. I use the fob. All I have to do is walk away from the car far enough for it to lock and fold the mirrors and then walk back towards the car. Once in range to detect the fob the projector lamps activate. Even during the daytime. The image on the ground gets washed out in the daylight but if you flip over your phone and hold it under the mirror housing then it should appear (providing you have a dark colored phone case...)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My iPhone still is inconsistent with puddle lamps. Even when it’s in my hand. Car goes to sleep and does not wake up sometimes. Same with fob. Some times it shows snd sometimes does not. Not the end of the world though for me other than just trying of figure out why it works or why it does not
Fob works every time.
I cannot get PAAK to allow my Samsung Galaxy, so fob 100% for now

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Fob works every time.
I have the exact opposite so far with the iphone activating the puddle lights, although aside from that, the iphone as PAAK has set off the car alarm once, and another time made me have to use my backup password to start the car... I've yet to be able to use it to aactually drive the car.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Fob works every time.
I was able to get my Samsung Galaxy S7 to set up PaaK but I had to keep it awake during the set up process. If I let the screen go to sleep then it would fail.

PaaK now works but it isnt nearly as immediate as the fob. I only tried it once so far but I had to pull out my phone and unlock the screen and then wait a few seconds for the bluetooth to connect FordPass to the car. When it said "Bluetooth Connected" on the FordPass screen, then the car opened and allowed me to start it up.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I think I figured it out. When I turn the car off, there is a prompt if I want to disable the motion sensors. If I say 'no', the pony puddle lamps work every time. Am curious if others have noticed this.
I'll try, it would be fantastic if Ford actually told us what to expect and examples of why puddle light light up. Lacking in this area.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
That is the case, as bluetooth cant establish connection beyond certain distance - I notice Bluetooth disconnected status often in FordPass. But when you get close to it it does not seem to establish that connection right away or quick enough but does so by the time you get t the door.
This is our experience too but we've only had it three days. I get this alot.
Sponsored