John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Had my question discussed on the most recent Wheel Bearings Podcast about what is the best mode to drive the Mach E in bad (read slippery and snow) conditions that grew out of a discussion I was having with another forum member. If you don't already listen to the Podcast, it is a really good one on cars. My question at about the 1:06 mark.

https://wheelbearings.media
Sponsored

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
My question at about the 1:06 mark.
"
Sam Abuelsamid 1:04:28
...All right, next question from John healthiest. With the terrible weather here in the North lately. He's in Ohio, I was having an online discussion with other maki owners on what is the best mode to drive the car in during adverse snow and ice conditions. One friend drives in one pedal mode normally and keeps it in one pedal mode. I also drive in one pedal mode all the time, but did not feel confident in bad conditions. I switched the car to whisper He's normally and engage mode and turn off one pedal and push the L button on the shifter for more gentle regenerative braking. I want more control. And after 40 years, after 40 years of driving 40 years of driving internal combustion. I don't want my reflexes to take over and a bad situation, let off the accelerator and find instead of coasting I'm now sliding sideways. Is there any better suggestion for bad conditions?

Nicole Wakelin 1:05:53
I never thought about that.

Roberto Baldwin 1:05:55
I think John is correct. With because I you know, here's I'm going to tell a little story about the Evie six where I was going around the corner, I was going a little too quick. And you know you've left you slowly left because you don't want that weight transfer of slamming the brakes because it pushes the the front of the car down and lift at the back. So now you're losing everything, you know. So it creates so I was in one pedal mode, essentially while I was doing it. And so I felt it like oh, wait, maybe? Yeah, so I think John is correct. So yeah, because you are giving away your art your art just automatically put it on the brakes and one pedal mode.

Nicole Wakelin 1:06:29
Because this essentially the same thing is like if you've slammed the brakes on, and you don't want to do that,

Sam Abuelsamid 1:06:35
yeah, well, I would add a couple of caveats there. One, I think, particularly if you have a single motor version of either the maki or the Evie six and the ionic five, because the single motor versions, those are rear wheel drive. And so the regen is all going to be coming off the rear axle. And that is going to exacerbate things. So if you if you lift off the accelerator, you know, on a slippery road, you know, you're going to be doing all your braking on the rear wheels, which is not what you normally would get, and in most cars, and so it is good. So it probably is a good idea to turn off the one pedal drive mode, when you know when you're in those kinds of conditions with that vehicle. If you have dual motor all wheel drive, then I think it's less of an issue because most of that braking, most of that regen braking is going to come off the front axle. And there when you got the heavy braking on the front, it's going to be more stable than it would be, you're not going to be as likely to have the back end coming around on you like that. The other thing I would say is, you know, once you get more used to driving it in those kinds of conditions, and you know, what I would recommend is, you know, when you get a chance, go out, you know, find an area, whether it's a big empty parking lot or you know, a row back road somewhere where there's nobody around, do a little practice, and get used to how it feels get get used to the feel of how you modulate that pedal, you know, so try it with one pedal driving. And you know, just practice that. And I think once you once you build up that muscle memory with one pedal driving, you're not going to be as likely to just automatically just lift your foot off the accelerator and have that reflex, like you mentioned in there.

Roberto Baldwin 1:08:29
Yeah, what he said, I think the lowest version of one pedal would probably be best just for especially now because he will slow you down as opposed to just gliding, which is probably not what you want. Because usually you would like lift your left and then like kind of like see what's going on and then slowly put on the brake. But I think if you have the gentlest version of regen on your vehicle, I think it would just that would actually worked out really well. Especially on the all wheels.

Sam Abuelsamid 1:08:55
And of course you know the thing you know, you still have electronic stability control on there. So you know if the car does start to oversteer or understeer, it will adjust the region automatically. You know if it's braking too aggressively for the amount of traction you have, so it'll it'll cut back on that diesel.

Roberto Baldwin 1:09:15
Yeah, good times. All right, the magic of all wheel drive in an Eevee though, like every tire is like adjusted within milliseconds."

OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
"
Sam Abuelsamid 1:04:28
...All right, next question from John healthiest. With the terrible weather here in the North lately. He's in Ohio, I was having an online discussion with other maki owners on what is the best mode to drive the car in during adverse snow and ice conditions. One friend drives in one pedal mode normally and keeps it in one pedal mode. I also drive in one pedal mode all the time, but did not feel confident in bad conditions. I switched the car to whisper He's normally and engage mode and turn off one pedal and push the L button on the shifter for more gentle regenerative braking. I want more control. And after 40 years, after 40 years of driving 40 years of driving internal combustion. I don't want my reflexes to take over and a bad situation, let off the accelerator and find instead of coasting I'm now sliding sideways. Is there any better suggestion for bad conditions?

Nicole Wakelin 1:05:53
I never thought about that.

Roberto Baldwin 1:05:55
I think John is correct. With because I you know, here's I'm going to tell a little story about the Evie six where I was going around the corner, I was going a little too quick. And you know you've left you slowly left because you don't want that weight transfer of slamming the brakes because it pushes the the front of the car down and lift at the back. So now you're losing everything, you know. So it creates so I was in one pedal mode, essentially while I was doing it. And so I felt it like oh, wait, maybe? Yeah, so I think John is correct. So yeah, because you are giving away your art your art just automatically put it on the brakes and one pedal mode.

Nicole Wakelin 1:06:29
Because this essentially the same thing is like if you've slammed the brakes on, and you don't want to do that,

Sam Abuelsamid 1:06:35
yeah, well, I would add a couple of caveats there. One, I think, particularly if you have a single motor version of either the maki or the Evie six and the ionic five, because the single motor versions, those are rear wheel drive. And so the regen is all going to be coming off the rear axle. And that is going to exacerbate things. So if you if you lift off the accelerator, you know, on a slippery road, you know, you're going to be doing all your braking on the rear wheels, which is not what you normally would get, and in most cars, and so it is good. So it probably is a good idea to turn off the one pedal drive mode, when you know when you're in those kinds of conditions with that vehicle. If you have dual motor all wheel drive, then I think it's less of an issue because most of that braking, most of that regen braking is going to come off the front axle. And there when you got the heavy braking on the front, it's going to be more stable than it would be, you're not going to be as likely to have the back end coming around on you like that. The other thing I would say is, you know, once you get more used to driving it in those kinds of conditions, and you know, what I would recommend is, you know, when you get a chance, go out, you know, find an area, whether it's a big empty parking lot or you know, a row back road somewhere where there's nobody around, do a little practice, and get used to how it feels get get used to the feel of how you modulate that pedal, you know, so try it with one pedal driving. And you know, just practice that. And I think once you once you build up that muscle memory with one pedal driving, you're not going to be as likely to just automatically just lift your foot off the accelerator and have that reflex, like you mentioned in there.

Roberto Baldwin 1:08:29
Yeah, what he said, I think the lowest version of one pedal would probably be best just for especially now because he will slow you down as opposed to just gliding, which is probably not what you want. Because usually you would like lift your left and then like kind of like see what's going on and then slowly put on the brake. But I think if you have the gentlest version of regen on your vehicle, I think it would just that would actually worked out really well. Especially on the all wheels.

Sam Abuelsamid 1:08:55
And of course you know the thing you know, you still have electronic stability control on there. So you know if the car does start to oversteer or understeer, it will adjust the region automatically. You know if it's braking too aggressively for the amount of traction you have, so it'll it'll cut back on that diesel.

Roberto Baldwin 1:09:15
Yeah, good times. All right, the magic of all wheel drive in an Eevee though, like every tire is like adjusted within milliseconds."
Transcript. Who knew. I don't think I am the healthiest though. ?

lemmyslender

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Select AWD SR Comfort/Tech Rapid Red
Country flag
They all make good points. However, I think it comes down to the car (FWD/RWD/AWD), your driving style and comfort level (conditions/car).

I live in NE Ohio, and d got to see alot of snow last week and snow and ice this morning. I usually drive unbridled/1pedal. Last week, the Regen caught me off guard and I briefly changed to whisper and later to engage, both with 1 pedal. Today in worse conditions, I left it in unbridled/1pedal.

I found the traction control to be excellent. Quickly letting off the pedal fully, only caused <1 sec slide before traction control took over, stopping quicker than I expected. I always play around in the snow (where safe) to get a good feel for the vehicle I'm in.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I did a video on a stretch of icy and snowy road. Trying unbridled OPD versus whisper without OPD. From 65 MPH, OPD stopped me 1.5 seconds faster than me trying to gently use the brake pedal myself. And of course if I overused the brake pedal, then ABS kicked in and it took 2.5 seconds longer to stop.
I think a lot of this will be driver dependent. If you’ve been using unbridled OPD all along and you’re used to letting off the accelerator partway to slow down, you’ll be fine. If you’re the type that is either on the accelerator or off the accelerator, probably not going to work out so well.
Sponsored