Where do you want to drive but the charging infrastructure isn't available yet?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I live in Eastern Maine and level 2 at home and work, but anyone visiting, it sucks. No level 3 except 106 miles south of Bar Harbor or 85 miles South of Bangor. Terrible for EV tourism To Coastal Maine. I am told the State just granted level 3 stations in Fairfield, Newport, Bangor, Belfast, and Ellsworth which will help me greatly In the Winter Months. Of course I am sure they will only be installing one 50kW unit at each location And $0.50/kWh.
Sponsored

Reactions: SAM

TundraEV

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine have a grand total of 4 EA stations, all clustered in the far southeast between Manchester, NH and Portland, ME. If you go too far north and don't save charge to get back, you are SOL.
I just returned from a spur of the moment 160 mile round trip mid coast Maine drive. Left my house with GOM saying 170 miles left (58%) and planned on hitting an EV Go spot on the way back for a quick jolt.

did not work to plan. Kept getting the charging fault error. Eventually gave up with their customer service, turned AC off, drove 5 miles under the limit back and arrived home with 10 miles to spare!

Reactions: SAM

HDer

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
InfiniteBlueRt1, 07XterraManual
Country flag
Big Sur/Highway Route 1, which is doubly ironic because we have the Rt. 1 edition. We'll probably do it anyways because there is a fast charger in Monterey, and I'll have the TeslaTap ready to go just in case we truly get stranded.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Is there anywhere that you would like to drive your Mustang Mach-E right now but can't because the charging infrastructure just isn't there yet?
anywhere in Northern NM and SouthWestern CO is underserved once you get off the highway. There are public charge stations.... but only 7kW in many places, with just a few 20kW. The good news is that NM Gov has already earmarked a fair amount of Federal Infrastructure $ to add charge stations in 'rural' towns. Presumably at City facilities, or as Grants to roadside service stations that want to sell gas, diesel, AND electricity.

It is pretty hard to plan a trip from Santa Fe up to ski in... Crested Butte, CO for instance. Right now it involves a long stop in the middle for a slow charge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
anywhere in Northern NM and SouthWestern CO is underserved once you get off the highway. There are public charge stations.... but only 7kW in many places, with just a few 20kW. The good news is that NM Gov has already earmarked a fair amount of Federal Infrastructure $ to add charge stations in 'rural' towns. Presumably at City facilities, or as Grants to roadside service stations that want to sell gas, diesel, AND electricity.

It is pretty hard to plan a trip from Santa Fe up to ski in... Crested Butte, CO for instance. Right now it involves a long stop in the middle for a slow charge.
CO has added some well-placed DCFC around the the mountains, although they still need more. Crested Butte, Salida, and Alamosa all have Chargepoint DCFC now. If you can make it the 140 miles to Alamosa from Santa Fe, you should be OK.

Pagosa Springs, Durango, Buena Vista, Fairplay, Dela, Craig, Steamboat, and Meeker too.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
CO has added some well-placed DCFC around the the mountains, although they still need more. Crested Butte, Salida, and Alamosa all have Chargepoint DCFC now. If you can make it the 140 miles to Alamosa from Santa Fe, you should be OK.

Pagosa Springs, Durango, Buena Vista, Fairplay, Dela, Craig, Steamboat, and Meeker too.
the Alamosa chargepoint I found this summer was 7kw
Del Norte surprisingly had a 20kw

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
the Alamosa chargepoint I found this summer was 7kw
Del Norte surprisingly had a 20kw
The new DCFC in Alamosa just opened a few weeks ago.

I used the Salida and Pagosa Springs ones last month. They're both "125kW shared" Chargepoints (just like the new Alamosa ones), but they don't split evenly. A Mach-E will usually get ~70 kW on those if no one is using the other one. That's what I got on those, as well as the same units in Utah.

Plugshare lists them all. That's my main source for all non-EA chargers.

Rjk1726

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Looking forward to DC Fast Chargers on the I93 corridor in NH from the lakes region North it is still bare.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
Austin to star base, ABRP can't route me there.

manicsubmersion

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 hybrid Lariat, 2022 MachE AWD EX Premium
Country flag
I25 in New Mexico is a DCFC desert. Going south from Albuquerque to Las Cruces on I25 is a challenge. There are two DCFC stations under construction in Socorro, NM (ChargePoint) and supposedly a DCFC station under construction in Elephant Butte, NM (near Truth or Consequences). Tesla recently (within the last year) opened a station in TrC but of course not available to non Tesla EVs. As others have already stated, North western New Mexico is also a DCFC desert. Once you get past Santa Fe, there is northing. We need DCFC stations in Espanola, and Chama at a minimum. Hopefully our Governor will cover those locations too with the Federal funds. Going north on I25 from Santa Fe is not much better. The EA station in Santa Fe is a few miles off of I25. After that the next DCFC is at Wagon Mound, an EA station at a gas station in this small rural town. No DCFC in Las Vegas (NM). After Wagon Mound, next stop is Colorado.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I25 in New Mexico is a DCFC desert. Going south from Albuquerque to Las Cruces on I25 is a challenge. There are two DCFC stations under construction in Socorro, NM (ChargePoint) and supposedly a DCFC station under construction in Elephant Butte, NM (near Truth or Consequences). Tesla recently (within the last year) opened a station in TrC but of course not available to non Tesla EVs. As others have already stated, North western New Mexico is also a DCFC desert. Once you get past Santa Fe, there is northing. We need DCFC stations in Espanola, and Chama at a minimum. Hopefully our Governor will cover those locations too with the Federal funds. Going north on I25 from Santa Fe is not much better. The EA station in Santa Fe is a few miles off of I25. After that the next DCFC is at Wagon Mound, an EA station at a gas station in this small rural town. No DCFC in Las Vegas (NM). After Wagon Mound, next stop is Colorado.
Similarly, down 285 to Roswell and Carlsbad. We wanna do a drive down thru Carlsbad Caverns but those long-awaited Allsups DCFCs are still not in yet. Been waiting a year.

There's another round planned too..

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/10/a-key-nm-charging-station-starts-a-new-round-of-construction/
Sponsored