Where to get a spare tire and jack for my Mach-E GT?

MachTheKnife

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT w/high perform. pack. + Nite Pony
Occupation
Commercial real estate broker
Country flag
At 44.1 miles in my new GT, I got totally stranded in an unknown location with a flat tire. The emergency pump/repair kit did not solve the problem. I couldn't reach a human at AAA; their app could not determine my location; and the street had no name, no buildings, no people. And of course there was no spare tire, in spite of choosing every option and upgrade available for my GT. I had to walk to the nearest town to get help. So, WHERE do I get a spare tire and jack for this car? The Ford service department had no idea! I will not drive this car (or any car) without a spare tire & jack. Okay, so this is my first new car in many years so I was unaware that spare tires are no longer provided, not even as an option. Unbelievable! I drove my Land Cruiser for 38 years without getting stranded. Then I buy a new maxed-out GT and get stranded on day one! Recommendations on spare tire and jack options will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I mentioned this a while ago, but you cannot use a doughnut spare on a Mach-E because it is too small, and the size/speed difference will blow the differential. If you dare try this, keep the speed under 20 mph.

It would be better to get towed than to blow your rear drive unit and not have it covered under warranty due to misuse.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...onut-spare-tire-on-a-mach-e.18652/post-441082

Spare has to have a rolling circumference not more than 10% different than the normal tire to avoid damage.

Last edited:

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
My worst nightmare!

That's why I always have RFT on all my family cars.

RFT allows you to drive for up 50 miles at up to 50MPH on zero air pressure without damaging the rim.

I have had RFT on all my BMWs, Mercs, Land Rover, and Hondas.

It may cut down on range, but what's 5% or 10% knowing that my wife or daughter can drive safely to a tire shop.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
At 44.1 miles in my new GT, I got totally stranded in an unknown location with a flat tire. The emergency pump/repair kit did not solve the problem. I couldn't reach a human at AAA; their app could not determine my location; and the street had no name, no buildings, no people. And of course there was no spare tire, in spite of choosing every option and upgrade available for my GT. I had to walk to the nearest town to get help. So, WHERE do I get a spare tire and jack for this car? The Ford service department had no idea! I will not drive this car (or any car) without a spare tire & jack. Okay, so this is my first new car in many years so I was unaware that spare tires are no longer provided, not even as an option. Unbelievable! I drove my Land Cruiser for 38 years without getting stranded. Then I buy a new maxed-out GT and get stranded on day one! Recommendations on spare tire and jack options will be greatly appreciated!
Why did you call AAA instead of Ford Roadside Assistance?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
I mentioned this a while ago, but you cannot use a doughnut spare on a Mach-E because it is too small, and the size/speed difference will blow the differential. If you dare try this, keep the speed under 20 mph.

It would be better to get towed than to blow your rear drive unit and not have it covered under warranty due to misuse.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...onut-spare-tire-on-a-mach-e.18652/post-441082

Spare has to have a rolling circumference not more than 10% different than the normal tire to avoid damage.
Not sure where you’re getting your information, but the modern spare isn’t even half a percent difference in size.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Where to get a spare tire and jack for my Mach-E GT? 07324A5D-85C9-41DA-9C55-A384F347A464

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Not sure where you’re getting your information, but the modern spare isn’t even half a percent difference in size.
It was a general warning, not specific to the Modern Spare. The discussion he linked was about a smaller doughnut.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
It was a general warning, not specific to the Modern Spare. The discussion he linked was about a smaller doughnut.
That makes sense and is great advice, but not very clear here because nobody recommended a donut in this thread. Just making sure nobody gets it in their head the modern spare will hurt their car. :cool:

OP
OP
MachTheKnife

MachTheKnife

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks for all the feedback to my post/question! I'm still going to buy a donut this morning... the kind you can eat! It might cause a differential problem in my waistline, though. ;)

coyotes97

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Country flag
Does anyone from experience know of modern spare collects sales tax? It seems they don’t when I go to checkout but in the fine print it does say they can retroactively charge for it. I am in CA for reference.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
Does anyone from experience know of modern spare collects sales tax? It seems they don’t when I go to checkout but in the fine print it does say they can retroactively charge for it. I am in CA for reference.
I was not charged sales tax but there may be some FTB pressure in the background.

OP
OP
MachTheKnife

MachTheKnife

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, it's called "use tax". If you buy something out-of-state and bring it into Calfornia, you don't pay sales tax; you pay use tax. It's the same tax amount as "sales tax". So the "pressure" is a legal one, not to mentioned the pressure needed for the tire itself. PS: I received my Modern Spare for my '23 GT only just a couple of days ago. The case with everything fits in the hatch quite nicely. I'm very pleased. Next I need to do a practice flat tire to make sure I can do it right. First, I need to find out where to put the jack to safely raise the car.
Sponsored